Best stainless gyutos under $200?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a Gesshin Uraku every now and then for sharpening. The primary bevels are right biased but I'm not remembering for sure if the grind was too. Edge retention should be good, toughness/resistance to chipping very good. Thicker behind the edge than what it seems like many folks here consider the 'middleweight' good cutters (Itinomonn, Gengetsu, Wakui, Kochi, Tanaka). Has that gentle continuous curve profile but without large back belly, as seen on some other JKI knives (Ikazuchi, Kochi)

I've read/gotten feedback that the Hiromotos have a fairly right biased grind?

I see a Gesshin Uraku every now and then for sharpening. The primary bevels are right biased but I'm not remembering for sure if the grind was too. Edge retention should be good, toughness/resistance to chipping very good. Thicker behind the edge than what it seems like many folks here consider the 'middleweight' good cutters (Itinomonn, Gengetsu, Wakui, Kochi, Tanaka). Has that gentle continuous curve profile but without large back belly, as seen on some other JKI knives (Ikazuchi, Kochi)

True, for the Tenmi Jyuraku series (G3 and AS) at least. The AUS-10 one I had was much more neutral -- and much thinner, by the way.

Hey thanks! You're winning me over with the uraku feedback. Uraku was the knife I originally was set on but I wanted to consider my options. I'm sure either Jon or I could solve the asymmetric issue.

Thanks for the discussion. Just pulled the trigger on 270mm uraku. When I was rewatching jons old livestream I noticed him holding uraku during some of the discussion. It's about as nice looking as a knife can look at that price, atleast for someone like me.

Bought the western handle version of GESSHIN URAKU 270MM STAINLESS WA-GYUTO (EDIT AND ADDED: (Gonbei AUS-10) and really impressed with how it handles. A stainless or semi-stainless knife from Jon in that price range is next on my list. I trust his judgement.

EDIT since replies from Jon below - REMOVED " (I don't see that on JKI sight right now)"

Bought the western handle version of GESSHIN URAKU 270MM STAINLESS WA-GYUTO (I don't see that on JKI sight right now) and really impressed with how it handles. A stainless or semi-stainless knife from Jon in that price range is next on my list. I trust his judgement.

The gonbei AUS10?

Bought the western handle version of GESSHIN URAKU 270MM STAINLESS WA-GYUTO (I don't see that on JKI sight right now) and really impressed with how it handles. A stainless or semi-stainless knife from Jon in that price range is next on my list. I trust his judgement.

The gonbei AUS10?

Yes that was it! Thanks for jumping in. I could not remember!

Back