Biggest Cowboy Tricks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy crap that's horrific, good thing i dont drink espresso or any other fancy shmancy coffee product, straight up unadulterated black drip coffee for me.

First restaurant I worked at,our coffee was so cheap and bad that the owners would put salt in the grounds to make it drinkable

holy crap that's horrific, good thing i dont drink espresso or any other fancy shmancy coffee product, straight up unadulterated black drip coffee for me.

Black drip, soda water, beer, whiskey. Basically all we drink.

My favourite cowboy story ( I never witnessed it, but it came from a reliable source) place an entire box of eggs 180 ish eggs into the bowl of the Hobart mixer ( large planetary mixer ) pulse a few times to smash all the shells, than pass through a fine chinois to remove all the shell.

This was our standard procedure at a major hotel...the health inspector saw it and almost peed herself......

Surely can't be much quicker than breaking eggs by hand?!

Pretty much any UK restaurant that has 4 fixed seasonal menus a year and lists English asparagus on their summer menu is definitely using Peruvian for the last few weeks of the menu...

I don't buy it. Time taken to wash Hobart and pass eggs vs an egg in each hand. I'd take a bet on that

I don't buy it. Time taken to wash Hobart and pass eggs vs an egg in each hand. I'd take a bet on that
Knock yourself out and try 180 or more eggs by hand vs a Hobart for jollies. I refused to use a mixer as a young new sous chef, insisting on cracking by hand. I thought using the mixer was disgusting. The rest of the crew was amused, puzzled on had since moved on to other prep while I skillfully cracked eggs. In all fairness, I wasn't washing anything when I was done.

I'm not gunna try it , but how much faster is it... ?? Really... Surely to pass those eggs with all the shell grit mixed in might take a little while.... Plus washing the Hobart . 180 eggs isn't that much...
I couldn't imagine it being more than a few minutes faster. Unless your really crap at cracking eggs.

One that sticks in my mind is from when I did stint of temping for an agency in the late nineties .
So I get sent to a large suburban pub with a kitchen preparing both ala carte meals and food for bain marie carvery thing. Turned out the head chef was a real fan of deep fryers, the steamed potatoes, pumkin and carrots for the carvery were all fried ( better than roasting he said). Once service had started ,the call for more peas for the carvery came I was instructed to fry them , I had to ask several times what he said as I thought, no really? He yells, Are you deaf man? ,dip them peas (frozen) in the oil and send em out .

Hmmm , peas in a fryer. Must have splattered something fierce. Real health food.

what I don’t get about these guys is why be a chef?! There are easier ways to earn a living. Surely the only way to make sense of long hours, stress, dangerous environment is if you love what you do, and take pride in that.

Actually, maybe the guy loved and was proud of his fried peas

Actually, maybe the guy loved and was proud of his fried peas

Perhaps he just liked making the deep fryer spit oil at him ?
This made me think of something , I saw bacon for Caesar put it the fryer once.... Yup ;)

Back