Blade Show 2013 kitchen knife of the year

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So have you tried the new Blade winner? Actually a pretty cool knife, and its been quite a while since a blade made from Pennsylvania steel and finished in the US could compete. Sure Ken Onion has his signature look all over these, but it must work, as the response from retailers has been tremendous. First runs are already sold out..And the launch is a month or so away.

So have you tried the new Blade winner? Actually a pretty cool knife, and its been quite a while since a blade made from Pennsylvania steel and finished in the US could compete. Sure Ken Onion has his signature look all over these, but it must work, as the response from retailers has been tremendous. First runs are already sold out..And the launch is a month or so away.

:clown:

[h=5]About bdwfe53[/h]Biography:Have been involved in sales, marketing, and development of many kitchen cutlery lines and products, Starting with original Chicago Cutlery, and then Dexter Russell Harrington, a stint at Wilkinson, then Viking and recently Messermeister, and also Chef Works

Please tell me more about the finish on the blades. What steel is being used for the blades? Does the texture on the blade prevent food from sticking? What is the handle material?

Hoss

I have their catalog. The blades are "high performance stainless steel." The blade pattern is added with a "proprietary process to reduce surface tension and drag coefficient" and the handles are G10. No prices were included.
While not every design in the line appealed to me, I didn't think the basic designs were near as bad as some here are making them out. They are pure Onion and many people like that. To each his own.

Thanks NS, someone told me that they are using Carpenter BD1 stainless steel for these. If so, with good heat treatment, they should hold up pretty good.

I do applaud Ken for getting out there and talking to some people doing the cutting, and trying to improve the design and functionality of kitchen knives. I doubt that these will have the impact that his speed safe folders did. I paid too much money one time for a wiz bang thermostat that could supposedly do all kinds of stuff, in the end I only wanted to adjust it as needed. Simple is good.

Hoss

Simple is good but it won't make you royalties for a new design. Ken had to come up with something unique looking to sell anything to the big guys. Same goes for selling your knives at SLT. If they look just like all the others why should anyone but the most knowledgeable pick yours over whatever is less expensive?

I wonder how many guys here have used any Ken Onion knives and have a strong opinion good, bad or otherwise.

Back