Blue 2 knives- Mizuno and Tanaka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been thinking about this a lot for the past few days.

I couldn't find any stainless clad that was in stock and I really liked, so I figured I'd just start looking for a normal clad knife.

My conundrum has been, do I go for a cost effective solution, which seems to be the Tanaka, by a mile, or do I save a bit more and shoot for a more 'high end' knife. Of the 'high end' stuff that could be within my means, the miz hontanren stood out to me (hence why I revived the thread).

What would you do?

Kinda similar reason to why I started this thread TBH. Obviously I ended up going for the Miz because of the excellent handle and price that James had on Cyber Monday. However, I'm still interested in understanding the similarities and differences of the knives in this category.

I think the biggest problem is that my actual experience with different knives is pretty limited. So even though I know the pros and cons of the options you listed and I know aesthetically which ones appeal to me, I don't actually know what is practically suitable.

I have never for example used a wide bevel gyuto in anger and have not had an opportunity to handle a true laser.

I guess it's one of those cases where you just have to pick something and see how it feels, no way around it.

And then pick another. And then another. And then another.... do you see where this is going? :)

More seriously, though, I think you are right. I used to think that lasers were fantastic. Then I got a bit sick of my knife getting stuck (by surface tension) halfway through an onion, so I quite like knives with good food release now. Only way to find out is to try a few, see what you like and what you don't like.

And then pick another. And then another. And then another.... do you see where this is going? :)

More seriously, though, I think you are right. I used to think that lasers were fantastic. Then I got a bit sick of my knife getting stuck (by surface tension) halfway through an onion, so I quite like knives with good food release now. Only way to find out is to try a few, see what you like and what you don't like.

Downing a tequila shot to this right now. Cheers :beer:

Back