blue paper steel (carbon) in pro environment

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soesje

Reaction score
since two months I enjoy my blue paper steel (grade 2) in the pro environment where I work as line cook.
disadvantage is having it to keep dry, to avoid rust spots.
what I have noticed is that the metal does seem to react with say, the veggies I am cutting.
as in discolouring...
story goes, knife has to develop a patina first and then things should improve.
do others also have this experience and is there a way around it.
I'd hate to take this knife home and swap for my wusthof classic ikon, although thats a nice knife too but not as sharp as my current knife.

As a line cook,using it for prep work everyday,cutting diff. veg. & protiens it will start to take on it's own patina.At end of shift wash with warm water & soap dry well.

Just like any other high carbon steel knife, make sure you keep it really dry and clean and there should be no issues. Good luck and have fun with the new knife!

thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
I do already keep it clean and dry.
supposed that after six weeks there would be a patina and the vegs won't discolor as much.
not that iron oxides are harmful in this amounts but the look is not as nice.

as for sharpening my other knife, it IS already sharp, I have both with me but I favor my carbon knife.
until my chef asks me to do chores that take force like killing and splitting lobsters...thats a job for the wusthof ikon I think....the carbon is not suitable for that.

its quite funny how a different knife, keeps amazing you with your cutting techniques, as in, I can now slice radishes very thin etc, never with the wusthof...ah well.

If I have a really reactive knife I give it a quick vinegar bath and its not nearly as reactive going forward. I've had a few that were just too reactive for professional use the fowler w2 was one. It was not patina more like a stain and imidiately even if I wiped it before putting it down. The vinegar took care of it and it was a pleasure to use going forward.

Back