Bolsterless Western knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon the stupid question, but since bolsters are being discussed, what is done on manufactured "factory" knives to give the appearance that the bolster is a part of the blade itself... like this: click.

Are the bolster and blade welded together and then blended/polished?

the nicest way i have gotten this lok is on andys cleaver i made
the "bolster/linner" was all one piece i milled the micarta and then put the burl in the space

That sounds really nice, do you have a picture of that Butch?

Pardon the stupid question, but since bolsters are being discussed, what is done on manufactured "factory" knives to give the appearance that the bolster is a part of the blade itself... like this: click.

This style is either welded on, pressed, or forged. In the case of Japanese westerns they're welded using a different steel than the main blade is made out of.

In the case of most Euro knives, they are true integrals and the blade and tang are drop forged/stamped to their final thickness from bar stock that is at least as thick as the bolsters. Some custom knifemakers do the same thing either by forging downthe blade and tang iwth things like guillotine fullers, power hammer, hydraulic presses, etc or just grind or mill away the excess steel.

I'm not a fan of the Haslinger look, but it is good to hear those handles are comfortable.

Using a contrasting piece of wood instead of metal is okay to me -- that first Fish handle looks really, really nice. I don't like the look of the second one, though.

I just received the Halinger passaround yesterday and am using it right now. The handle looks really nice to me, butt I will address my issues in the review.

That sounds really nice, do you have a picture of that Butch?

1175892418-2.JPG

1175892397-1.JPG

1175892483-3.JPG

1175892531-4.JPG

1175892600-5.JPG

One of my favorite cleavers. And if Butch ever decides to grind another he better call me!

Nice work on that cleaver! Tricky. More than one way to skin a cat. I noticed that Bob Kramer knives do not have bolsters, but and soldered and pinned "bolster guard" It is one piece of solid metal that has had a slot milled out and a lug let onthe bottom that slides into a notch on the bottom of the tang. That is pretty much how a lot of guys do their single bought guards on full tang knives.

I noticed that Bob Kramer knives do not have bolsters, but and soldered and pinned "bolster guard" It is one piece of solid metal that has had a slot milled out and a lug let onthe bottom that slides into a notch on the bottom of the tang.

IMG_0642.JPG

OK, how is a bolster different from a "bolster guard"?

I think by bolster guard he means "non integral bolster". Cause I've seen more than one BK with a bolster.

Love the oval in the handle on that one and the swirled polishing technique on the blade. Looks a simple clean effect but not very easy to achieve I reccon.

The new carbon gyuto that HHH knives posted has a beautiful bolsterless handle.

OK, how is a bolster different from a "bolster guard"?
When I think of non-integral bolsters, I think of two pieces of material soldered, pinned or what have you to a full tang blade.

I would call that a ferrule, but some would say that it is actually a spacer because a "true" ferrule is hollowed out on the back side so that the end of the handle fits into it.:biggrin:
These bolsters are one piece.

PICT0031.JPG

How do you know that is not the case?

Well, after thinking about it, the could be as they are Japanese style knives. Personally, I don't make that distinction, but some folks do. I called the thicker "spacer that goes behind the guard on my bowies a "ferrule" :biggrin:
How do you know that is not the case?

Those are not ferrules. I consider them bolsters because they are attached to the blade, and the handle is attached after they are in place. They are there to reinforce the structure, which is one of the definitions of "bolster".
This one more fits the definition of ferrule:

PICT0443.JPG

Actually, if it is slotted and slipped over the blade, I might call it a guard.:wink:

You might, but you didn't make the knife, Spike did. So they are bolsters. On your knives you can call them guards. Since they are structural, they are more bolsters than guards.

Spike, is the picture above a knife you're making? It looks really promising, if so.

Back