Building sharpening setup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
congratulations. please let us know what you think of the cerax line.

OK, after few months and some 30 sharpened knives here is the experience with the Suehiro Cerax 1000/6000 stone:

You can see it here (I hope this link is allowed - I do not have a photo of the stone yet). It is medium sized stone: 182 x 62 x 27. It is also on the cheap side. I bought it to learn the basics of water-stone sharpening as I was using only a sharpening system until then.

So how it works: the 1k side is rather soft and not very fast cutting and disches rather fast. If you need larger angles you may gauge the stone if not careful. I also managed to produced quite a few chips on the sides during flattening with the Naniwa flattening stone (220 grid if I recall correctly) or sandpaper (on tilefloor), but this could be lack of the experience on my side. The 1k side did not give much "feel" On the other hand the 6k side seems to work quite nicely. It is on the hard side, feels very smooth and cuts reasonably well. It leaves a near-mirror finish even on stainless steel.

So - will I buy another one? Nope - I have just order 400, 2000 and 6000 stones from JKI :knife:, but I did manage to get shaving sharp edges on most of the knives I worked on (the best on my 25 Euro Mora 2000 with 13c27 steel - that is really incredible knife for the money). I did not sharpen my best knives yet as I wanted first to learn with cheaper knives. I did manage to abrade to blod the skin on both of my ring-fingers in one session though - that should be a good sign if I am not mistaken :)

As I have also bought Bester 1000/6000 (from the same store) combination stone for my brother-in-law. This stone is about double the price than the Suehiro Cerax. I can only say that that stone, and in particular the 1000 side, is MUCH better compared to Cerax - dishes much less and cuts faster and feels better. I would recommend this stone to anyone looking for a simple full size combination stone.

So - the future for me are Gesshins stones - here I would like to thank Jon for his help as I had a bit of hard time to choose the "right" stones and I am really looking forward to using them (in few weeks hopefully). Stay tuned.

I have heard that the gesshin 400 is amazing. Please give a review on it!

Latest posts

Back