Bumming Bad chipped my new Akifusa 9.5 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear1889

Reaction score
Any suggestions? I thought it was a speck of food, nope a chip! I just got this knife it was a Xmas present to myself! I've used it for about ten times.

Dude really??? I have a chipped blade on a new knife and this is your response?

Not meant to rub it in I suspect but no one can suggest anything useful without knowing the extent/severity of the chip

in reality, the chip isnt a big deal and is pretty easy to fix, but pics do help, so that we can better help you fix the problem. Nothing worth freaking out about though.

It's been a rough two weeks, I apologize. When I can get to it I will post pics. My father passed on Christmas Eve. The burial was last week. Funeral expenses, dysfunctional family etc. I find comfort in cooking. It just pisses me off that this just happened today.

Thank you he was a good man, saved many lives, provided comfort to those that needed it, and saw those that could not afford it home to eternity.

Sounds like he was a great man. I hope you can take some comfort in that as well.

Sorry to hear that. And i'm sure the chip is fixable.

I've heard plenty of tales of people breaking the tip of a kamagata usuba and having to rectify that.

pics, I dont have the right setup for macro shots

chip2_zps9435bc72.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

chip1_zpscf8a1ac3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is only a chipped knife.I am sorry for your loss.I have personally found that sharpening knives to be somewhat therapeutic at times.Removing chips can take some time but the feeling you get when the knife is restored is a good one.
Best,
salmonkiller

pics, I dont have the right setup for macro shots

chip2_zps9435bc72.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

chip1_zpscf8a1ac3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Those are small chips and not a big issue to correct.I always sharpen my new knives before I use them for the first time.This will ensure that I have a razor sharp edge and proper apex an a new knife.This has eliminated most edge issues that I historically encountered with new knives.My wife used to chip all our kitchen knifes just like yours and I have spent many hours removing chips and experimenting with edge angles and micro bevels to get each knife dialed up.I have found my efforts to return positive results.

That doesn't look very bad at all, actually.
If you can live with the chip, it will come out over time as you sharpen. That's what I'd most likely do.
If it really bugs you, you can take off the edge along the entire blade to restore it.
Do you know how/when you chipped it? That would help avoid in the future.

At first glance I couldn't see the chip,looking careful revealed the ding. I would agree that a good sharpening will easily take this out and give you a stronger edge.
I fixed a friends Kato that had chips in the 1-2mm range...talk about toothy edge:/

Enjoy your new knife and sorry about your father!
Cheers

I chipped my takeda slightly worse than that and didn't do anything. Over several sharpening sessions it is nearly gone. Don't do anything.

Back