Bunkas lover anyone ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SylvainM

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
Hi all,

I see a lot of gyutos and gyuto-oriented discussions around here. Well although this is without doubt a versatile knife, I'm still very fond of smaller baldes 🫣 They're more compact, very handy, suited for smaller kitchens (which we specialize in here in Paris 😅) and still allow to do a lot.
So here is my take on santokus with 3 different versions. From left to right on the first picture (in millimeters):
- 175 x 54 x 3.2 C-grind (righty) forged in 1.2442 tungsten allied carbon steel
- 175 x 60 x 2.2 honyaki forged in beloved 125SC
- 160 x 52 x 2.1 monosteel forged in 125SC

Overall_KKF.jpg

You'll get that I'm rather fond of laser than workehorse blades (an overall debate amongst both users and makers...). To me they are more versatile and not necessarily more flexible (depending on how you build and heat treat them) and the bit of food sticking never took over a good food penetration - just my own feelings of course ;)

Anyway I'm more than happy to get your thoughts on geometry for those babies !!

Last but not least here are some details of each knife for your viewing pleasure. I have more pics for those who may want details but didn't wanna flood this post o_O

#1 - 175 x 54 x 3.2 right handed C-grind - Cutting edge 167mm - 1.2442 steel at approx 64 HRC - Handle is ziricote and chestnut spacer - Overall length 310mm - 171 gramms

1_KKF.jpg

3_KKF.jpg

4_KKF.jpg

#2 - 175 x 60 x 2.2 - Cutting edge 155mm - Forged in 125SC at approx. 63-64 HRC - Honyaki with some alloy banding visible - Handle is natural chestnut with bog oak spacer - Overall length 295mm - 132 gramms

1_KKF.jpg

2_KKF.jpg

#3 - 160 x 52 x 2.1 - Cutting edge 145mm - Forged in 125SC at approx. 63-64 HRC - Monosteel, quite stiff - Handle is european wallnut with bog oak guard - Overall length 285mm - 100 gramms

1_KKF.jpg

3_KKF.jpg

Last edited:
[EDIT]
Changed title as they are indeed, as was kindly reported to me, closer to bunkas than santokus :cool:

Back