Can I use Clapham's beeswax on magnolia handle?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khorax

Reaction score
Can I use Clapham's Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish to finish a bare magnolia wood handle? It says it can be used for "everything wood in your kitchen". When I bought my larchwood end grain cutting board from Nova Scotia they said it was the best thing to use.

http://claphams.com/product/beeswax-salad-bowl-finish/

It's got mineral oil, carbauba and beeswax.

I've read lots on using mineral oil baths, tru oil and such... just want to know if this Clapham's is good enough.

Can I use Clapham's Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish to finish a bare magnolia wood handle? It says it can be used for "everything wood in your kitchen". When I bought my larchwood end grain cutting board from Nova Scotia they said it was the best thing to use.

http://claphams.com/product/beeswax-salad-bowl-finish/

It's got mineral oil, carbauba and beeswax.

I've read lots on using mineral oil baths, tru oil and such... just want to know if this Clapham's is good enough.

I use a mineral oil/beeswax/carnauba wax mixture on my handles as well as a "top coat" for my cutting board.

The addition of carnauba wax to the mix will add a good deal of water resistance at the cost of making the handle a little less "grabby" than plain mineral oil or a mineral oil/beeswax mixture.

Used it. Went great. Should I be putting on more than one coat?

Used it. Went great. Should I be putting on more than one coat?

I put several coats. I stop when the board stops taking it in and wipe the excess off. Then I let it dry for a couple of days to let the oils harden properly.

You don't have to add more than one coat, but you'll increase water and stain resistance.

I use Clapham 's on all my magnolia handles. Usually when I get a new knife (after washing the handle and letting it dry) I apply it with my fingers, set it sit for 12-24h and then buff with a dry cloth. I feel like I need maybe 4 coats like this to get the handle to a texture I want (smooth and not feeling dry). I like the fact that you get pretty good stain resistance while still maintaining a bit of texture.

I do have to reapply after a few washes, but usually one coat does the trick.

I use Clapham 's on all my magnolia handles. Usually when I get a new knife (after washing the handle and letting it dry) I apply it with my fingers, set it sit for 12-24h and then buff with a dry cloth. I feel like I need maybe 4 coats like this to get the handle to a texture I want (smooth and not feeling dry). I like the fact that you get pretty good stain resistance while still maintaining a bit of texture.

I do have to reapply after a few washes, but usually one coat does the trick.

Perfect, thanks a lot for the info. I just put on my second coat tonight. I'll take your advice and put one or 2 more. But I'm wiping off the excess immediately and then letting it dry. Maybe for the next coat or 2 I'll leave it on thick and then wipe it off the 24 hours later. Is that what you do?

I have no idea how I thought this was about a cutting board? Anyway the same advise works for both.

I wouldn't leave a thick coat on the handle. I've tried that and there's no need for it. It'll just take forever to dry and you'll en up with a more uneven finish.

I apply the coats with my fingers (so they end up kinda thick) and only wipe it off after the 12-24h period. I haven't experienced uneven finish like JaVa said but honestly the handle doesn't absorb 100% of that coat so probably a thin coat would have the same result. The next time I might try thin coats, if they don't do the trick you can just move to thicker coats.

I can say that multiple coats do make a difference and the effect lasts longer through washings.

On a side note, I just remembered how great that stuff smells...

Bees wax just doesnt wash up the beat after long periods of use

Bees wax just doesnt wash up the beat after long periods of use

Not sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate and give another suggestion if you know of a better method/product?

Not sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate and give another suggestion if you know of a better method/product?

I think that Trilby was just making a lot of only obliquely relevent posts in order to get to the 50 post limit for BST.

I use a mineral oil/beeswax/carnauba wax mixture on my handles as well as a "top coat" for my cutting board.

The addition of carnauba wax to the mix will add a good deal of water resistance at the cost of making the handle a little less "grabby" than plain mineral oil or a mineral oil/beeswax mixture.

This, I do the same thing..... good strategy!

Back