Can this be fixed?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, now I am even more anxious about trying it again. :bigeek::big grin: I have had the opportunity to talk with Daryl at Blade a couple of times and he is truly one of those living treasures we talk about and a heck of a nice guy to boot.
When I first started doing this laminate in 2002 I was talking with Daryl Myer and was told by him that this could and would happen. According to Daryl it is far more likely to happen with 300 series stainles than with the 400 series that I use and the reason that I use it in the first place. For those of you who don't know who Daryl Myer is Pretty much every modern pattern welding technique that we use in some way belongs to Daryl.

Bill, i am still amazed at this happening. Aside from the obvious bummer, i think this could be used as a great learning tool, and one hell of a display piece :D

Burt Foster has some superglue that might help you out

:curse::justkidding::curse:

Bill,
Did you temper before cryo? If you did not then that is your culprit. Another is that your oil is a bit fast leading to increased stresses. If you heat your oil prior to quenching try leaving it cold(room temp) next time.
Thanks,
Del

Thanks Del, I did not temper before cryo but I never have in the past and I am using texaco type a which is a pretty slow oil. Basically the only thing that I did different from what I have done for the last ten years that I have been doing this is to go into the LN2 as soon as the blade reached room temp instead of waiting my normal 24 hours with the blade in the freezer. I did it this way because it is supposed to enhance finer carbide precipitation in the grain boundaries.

Bill,
Did you temper before cryo? If you did not then that is your culprit. Another is that your oil is a bit fast leading to increased stresses. If you heat your oil prior to quenching try leaving it cold(room temp) next time.
Thanks,
Del

Back