Carbonext: Patina and edge retention questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochedo

Reaction score
Hello good people. Need some help from you.

I recently aquired a new Carbonext 240mm Gyuto with ES. Great knife. Light and sturdy. But i think it's forming a patina to fast. From what i read around here it's dificult to form a patina but mine is reacting a lot. Cuting carrots and the edge gets a little "red" patina, I had a exam(I am a culinary student) and i didn't used the knife a lot, but the patina is starting to show. I don't mind it, but it's strange. Has the steel been changed?

My other problem is the edge retention. It seems to not last very long, i can already see some bright lines from it. It's strugle now to cut an Apple when a couple days ago it gone through it like it's nothing.

Pics OOTB:

Patina:

The patina looks normal. Factory edges are notoriously brittle. You should hit the stones with it and then it will be fine.

Agree with the comment about the factory edge, it's likely not an issue.

If the reactivity is bothering you, one option is to force a thin consistent patina layer (or a patterned one if you're so inclined) using mustard (Google it).

I used a carbonext for a year as my main knife and it developed this dark greyish black patina and it never rusted no matter how long I left it wet.

yep. looks normal to me. I only ever really got a patina where my thumb and index finger touched the blade, wouldn't have necessarily sprung for the ES but it looks like they thin abit behind the edge (or make a huge primary bevel). Try to strengthen the edge a bit next time you sharpen. I noticed the same funny thing with carrots too, just keep the knife clean while you work, its the way to go about being professional anyway. Something most culinary schools aren't big on (working clean, economy of motion, attentiveness, time management etc).

edge retention was nothing special which is why I sold mine on. Ease of sharpening is the selling point with those you can cut toilet paper or paper towel quite easily right off the stones with minimal skill. Fun parlour trick for your friends in between shifts. It is a great knife to learn on and very forgiving, very difficult to rust or pit. But please inspect any new patina anyway, even stainLESS knives will pit if abused. Good luck with school! :bat:

It can even rust if you put the effort into that. But it is very hard to do it. Mine required a spilled brine AND aluminum foil (don't ask)

Thanks guys for the explanaition. I'm looking for a good combo Stones to learn to sharpen. What do you recomend? And i want to round the choil and the spine, whitch sandpaper grit should i start with?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Back