Carter Prices

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd 5.9sun International Pro Nakiri, Damascus, Ironwood, $1959.74

That's a hell of a "second".

Yep. The main reason I didn't pull the trigger is because the handles are offensive to my eyes.

as usual, they are all short. He makes far too many in the 140-200 length for my tastes.

Agreed, I was especially disappointed with his international pro batch, not one knife over 5 sun.

For the record, there are currently 5 Carters in everyday use in my blocks. maybe a dozen or so stored away. Looking at one of those links, I found several of the knives I paid something like $100+ for are now $400. If he can sell them at the price great, that is supply and demand but sure won't be to me. Makes a guy feel like there actually are some advantages to getting older. I was there first! :) Ethan Becker (Joy of Cooking) and I used to compete with each other to see who had first crack at Murray's Japanese made knives.

Yep. The main reason I didn't pull the trigger is because the handles are offensive to my eyes.

Agreed! His handles show no sence of what looks good together. I saw a knife with blue Corian as a spacer!! I think he would be better off with a no handle option. He does look like he is doing well so I guess there is no accounting for taste.

You don't see them on BST so the knives themselves must be great.

I do enjoy his videos.

Agreed! His handles show no sence of what looks good together. I saw a knife with blue Corian as a spacer!! I think he would be better off with a no handle option. He does look like he is doing well so I guess there is no accounting for taste.

It's all subjective, really. Some of his handles may be unattractive, but I find some of them downright sexy...

iBH3uC9.jpg

Some of them look nice until you see the top and bottom of them. I think he's being a little cheap with the fancy handles, they'd look way better if he drilled the tang and used one piece of wood rather than having the bit in the middle

Agreed that his new custom handles aren't as nice as the ones we're accustomed to on KFF. As such, I miss the days when he had throwaway handles on his knives. But I can't begrudge Carter for raising his prices. If the market can bear it, he should do it. We need more builders and makers in America, and if this provides him and his family a nice living and promotes others to follow suit, that's not bad.

I am not saying Carter is bad, just I don't see what is so special about carter, apart from made in US. Of course, this is could well change if I had a chance to use it :)
Being made in the US is not what is special about Carters. They won't win on looks, but they are incredible cutters. I hope you have a chance to use one some day.

as usual, they are all short. He makes far too many in the 140-200 length for my tastes. But I'm sure that's what most people want who have been accustomed to the german knife block sets, where the chef's knife is often 150 - 200.
And if you do find one 230 or higher its almost 2k for it, with a plain handle. My biggest complaint is way to small. But I did just buy https://www.cartercutlery.com/japan...es/62-sun-high-grade-funayuki-custom-handle-1

Price is right, can use it as a petty.

Just looked at his website...$3,100 for a blemished yanagiba? yikes!

That's a good looking knife Crothcipt. This one is out for delivery along with a 6.5 sun KU freestyle funayuki -

222x153solo.jpg

Apart from the yanagi, I can't see a single knife over 21cm. If he's not taking custom orders and is basically making what he wants it seems the chances of seeing a 240 or 270 gyuto are very small

Makes things complicated, doesn't it?

He's had at least three different larger gyutos up within the last few weeks; they must just move quicker. And for the record 225-270mm sell for $850 to $1000'ish. Seems to be inline with what other custom US makers are charging, and they aren't Murray Carter.

I think I'll buy a 180'ish funi someday, as I've found I really like this size. It is quite versatile. It makes a good service knife, can break down a side of fish, etc...

Picked up 2, but I'm afraid they are going straight for re-handling. I'll be curious to compare to my old carter and see what, if anything, has changed.

Back