Cheated by vendor or???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
Hi guys, I brought a knife from Tomohito two years ago, took me one year to receive the knife but he sending me wrong size, I ordered 300mm left hand yanagiba with saya but received 270mm & right handed saya. He said will make new one to me within 3month but now already one year I still waiting. Recently I send him email said if the knife still haven’t done yet I want to get the refund. After that send him several emails without reply me until now. I was paying by tranferwise. What can I do?

Here it is, everyone needs to worn the whole world. He’s still taking orders as we speak and scamming people.

080D7FCE-3AD7-4A5B-8BB4-6343E508D767.jpeg

is there something like the BBB in japan? someone should nail his ass.

We need to start notifying all of the black smiths as he’s using their names to lure people in so he can scam the would be customers.

Yikes. Bought from him twice in the past. Received one knife and managed to get refunded on the 2nd order. That was a few years ago. I have received multiple emails from him with unsolicited offers since including just late last month offering discount on multiple knives.

Yep, Tomohita Iida of iidatool / japantool-iida has scammed many people. Very doubtful 'lawyers' are involved as all his sites (website, shopify, ebay, facebook) are still up.

Last edited:
I always sensed an air of desperation when he'd email me to buy another knife or offer a stone. I placed an order thru him for a lefty honyaki yanagiba and he delivered, and actually in a fraction of what he quoted me for in terms of wait time. I think he quoted me 12 months and it was done and shipped in under 4 months. This wasn't too long ago, I posted about the knife here.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-to-get-into-single-bevels.55136/#post-840738
Too bad to hear what's happening now. I'll definitely never do business with him again.

I'm missing 2 ebony saya that I ordered with my knives back in 2017. I do have the knives which are as advertised but pretty terrible handle installs (handles are gorgeous though) - I have written him many times and there's always an excuse. Just this week I wrote him again and he also mentioned the lawyer thing....

I asked him to check what he had in stock that would be if similar value so he could just send me something else instead of the saya.

Unfortunately he’s robbed us all, and he’s turned into a thief sadly 🤦🏻‍♂️
You've done the first step of recovery - discovered you've been robbed, scammed, cheated, etc.
This guy states he has a shop. I mean a physical shop, which is good - he has something to lose.

I would send a complaint to the Japanese Ministry of economy, trade and industry, describing your case. I am sure this would reach the person responsible for the unproper behaviour.
This ministry might not be the most appropriate contact point, but for sure it has the power to tranfer your message and to provide you feedback.
These are my 2cents.

Last edited:
I would send a complaint to the Japanese Ministry of economy, trade and industry, describing your case. I am sure this would reach the person responsible for the unproper behaviour.
This ministry might not be the most appropriate contact point, but for sure it has the power to tranfer your message and to provide you feedback.
These are my 2cents.

This is very appropriate. At a minimum, you want to alert the Japanese officials so they can stop him from stealing from other people.

has anyone actually tried to make an order recently? it would be funny to see if he would gladly accept payment for an expensive knife. maybe from an email address he doesn't know.

Back