Chef Knife and more, 1st time REAL knife buying, lets going shopping!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a pro at knife handling and speed but I do OK and don't manage to cut a finger off. I think the weight and balance also play a part in the size choice. I also have a Gesshin Ginga 240 and it is so light and well balanced that it is easy and natural to use. More so than my Artifex 210 which I seem to manage to cut myself more than any other knife I own. The blade profile is a little short and the heel of the knife is too close to the handle which results in nicks in normal use.

I'm looking sharp on Friday night, and by that I mean I'm looking into buying knives!!!

i dont know why the link is ** out but it is "chef knives to go"

The link is blocked because it's being censored. We ask that you don't work around the censors because they're in place for a reason. Doing so is in violation of our [URL="http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8110-Vendor-and-Membership-Terms-of-Use?p=137749&viewfull=1#post137749"]Terms of Use that you agreed to when signing up to the forum.

Ive been informed via pm about this. Apologize and it wont happen again..

I need a cleaver. Will use it hack through chicken bones ect, any ideas?

I need a cleaver. Will use it hack through chicken bones ect, any ideas?

Tojiro 240mm yo-deba.

[video=youtube_share;urIeUid1TMo]http://youtu.be/urIeUid1TMo[/video]

[video=youtube_share;CI7CGphzXYI]http://youtu.be/CI7CGphzXYI[/video]

Tojiro 240mm yo-deba.

[video=youtube_share;urIeUid1TMo]http://youtu.be/urIeUid1TMo[/video]

[video=youtube_share;CI7CGphzXYI]http://youtu.be/CI7CGphzXYI[/video]

ooo airline breasts

Wow really? Wait so what do I use the Gesshin Ginga 260 for? Which I don't buy yet... Next paycheck. Sorry I'm new at this. At this point I should just ask what do I need and what should I get. Again I'm a home want to be chef. I'm good too.

I guess I need a chef knife, a butching knife, a knife for slicing/ carving/ sushi, that bad ass bread knife oh maybe a fish filet knife.

Okay you guys let me know what you come up with and I will order away.

I have some advice that may be a different direction from everyone else. This would be before you spend a lot of money at once.

1. Get one 240 mm carbon gyuto less than $150.

2. Buy a 1000 or 2000 grit water stone, and optionally a general all purpose stone holder.

3. Buy a better cutting board. Seriously!

4. Stop rock chopping and walking your blade. SERIOUSLY!

5. Watch all of the sharpening videos from the Japanese Knife Imports Youtube channel.

Then spend a couple of months with your one knife and one sharpening stone and it will give you a lot of insight into your future purchases. Do everything with this knife, no matter how big or small the task. Patience is truly a virtue in your situation. You just gotta ask yourself a few questions in the process. Is my gyuto too long or too short. Do I really want to spend the time it takes to take care of a carbon blade. What are my limitations with my sharpening stone. Is my knife too short or too tall for the task. How much does a lack of edge retention irritate you. What am I missing that would be really helpful.

It may seem like an unnecessary expense at first, especially when you have the money to jump in right away, but it will be well worth it in time. You will wind up with more questions and avoid more headaches in the long run. Maybe even save a little money in the long run. Or not, this would is a wallet drain after all. You won't even have to thank me later, even though I know you will want to.

Great advice I really don't know how the carbon blade compares to the non carbon. I not really sure what extra Maintiance is involved and more importantly I don't think I would want to do it

I haven't used one. You won't find any of the Henckle's lines (including Miyabi) or Shuns recommended in this forum for the most part. Or any other knife forum with a kitchen dedicated thread from what I have seen. Not that there is anything wrong with them. It's just the way it is. But if you plan on freehand sharpening it yourself, then kiss that perfect damascus finish good bye. It is only there for looks anyways. It won't simply rub off, you will gradually scratch it away. Unless you sharpen your edge at a high angle, which will take away the sharpness.

For the the price I would payfor a Miyabi, I can think of better options.

I haven't used one. You won't find any of the Henckle's lines (including Miyabi) or Shuns recommended in this forum for the most part. Or any other knife forum with a kitchen dedicated thread from what I have seen. Not that there is anything wrong with them. It's just the way it is. But if you plan on freehand sharpening it yourself, then kiss that perfect damascus finish good bye. It is only there for looks anyways. It won't simply rub off, you will gradually scratch it away. Unless you sharpen your edge at a high angle, which will take away the sharpness.

For the the price I would payfor a Miyabi, I can think of better options.

What do you like ? I have been looking at the
gesshin ginga but just want to know some other options.

I browsed through a lot of knife sites and dealers when I was first looking for a good knife. Also I went through knife review after knife review after knife review, and I still made a purchasing mistake or two. After my awakening to a world beyond Henckel and Wusthof, I did a lot of comparison shopping to know who sold what and what the overlap was. Although JKI is a cult favorite, Korin is also very reputable and has a wide selection. Korin is also posts on this forum which is a plus. Koki is a nice dude who is located in Japan and is trustworthy. If you really want to spend the money and take the plunge, then you should browse Maxim's site as well at JNS. I have not bought any knives from him but I did get a natural stone. The service was good and his knives are on par. I would visit multiple sights until you get the right feeling for this or that knife.

I am very willing to recommend a good starter knife based on my experience, but I hesitate to recommend anything more than $200. It's easy to spend $300 or $400 on a knife only to later cry in your closest over your bad purchasing decision. And it looks like you want your first good knife to be your long term buddy, which doesn't normally happen until a few good and bad purchases are made.

It's actually the opposite of buying a car. If I was to take you out to buy your very first car, and you had a $100,000, you are going to get an expensive car because it's going to be your car for a long time, plus you get to sit in and test drive for a few miles. On the other hand, you can spend $500 for a gyuto only to realize that you were in love with your $80 Chinese Cleaver all along, and now you need to upgrade to a $200+ cleaver.

But....if you really want to spend the money in a "can't go wrong" situation....and you want to avoid carbon...then you can consider the following makers.

Suisin
Heiji
Ashi Hamano
Devin Thomas (Always wanted one, never got one. Everyone praises his knives though).

And that is just the tip of the ice berg.

Good info, I am really just trying to lock in my gyuto, it's hard when you can't try them. My budget is $300or less.
Kochi 240mm Kurouchi Wa Gyuto or the Gesshin Ginga have been what I looked into most, just looking for other options

I am ordering these on Friday unless someone has a better boning knife
Tojiro DP Boning Knife
Tojiro ITK Bread Knife

Not sure on petty for size or brand
Gesshin Ginga 160mm Stainless Petty - $180

In time maybe a slicing knife for sushi

I'd skip the tojiro and just get a decent 150ish petty for your boning needs. I have an 90/10 bevel petty that I use in a pro environment and it works great for fine tuning proteins. It doesn't sound sound like you're breaking down primals or anything like that, so you shouldn't need anything sturdier than a petty.

It seems like you're kinda hemming and hawing over a gyuto, while two of your possible options are carried by JKI... Just give Jon a call and discuss your situation with him. He won't try to up sell you, and will do his best to find the right fit for you. I do agree with Doom though, this likely will not be your last purchase in regards to finding an ideal knife. Hope this helps.

-Josh

If you do call Jon, you might want to ask what he thinks of the Tojiro DP Honesuki....[if that is what you meant when you said DP Boning?]

Rules of the site say that I can't say mention I found this review.

By: JBroida
Beverly Hills,CA
This is one of the most used knives in my kit. A wonderful value and i have yet to find a honesuki that works better. The core steel will take a wonderful edge and does not chip easily. It stays sharp a long time as well. This knife can take a lot of abuse and still keep on going. The fit and finish was good,although the handle is not the most comfortable in the world. But,who cares... i still think this is one of my favorite knives.

that review was a long time ago... that being said, its still a good knife... since then i've found some things that are better values, better performers, or any combination thereof. Still, the tojiro is a good knife.

I have some advice that may be a different direction from everyone else. This would be before you spend a lot of money at once.

1. Get one 240 mm carbon gyuto less than $150.

2. Buy a 1000 or 2000 grit water stone, and optionally a general all purpose stone holder.

3. Buy a better cutting board. Seriously!

4. Stop rock chopping and walking your blade. SERIOUSLY!

5. Watch all of the sharpening videos from the Japanese Knife Imports Youtube channel.

Then spend a couple of months with your one knife and one sharpening stone and it will give you a lot of insight into your future purchases. Do everything with this knife, no matter how big or small the task. Patience is truly a virtue in your situation. You just gotta ask yourself a few questions in the process. Is my gyuto too long or too short. Do I really want to spend the time it takes to take care of a carbon blade. What are my limitations with my sharpening stone. Is my knife too short or too tall for the task. How much does a lack of edge retention irritate you. What am I missing that would be really helpful.

It may seem like an unnecessary expense at first, especially when you have the money to jump in right away, but it will be well worth it in time. You will wind up with more questions and avoid more headaches in the long run. Maybe even save a little money in the long run. Or not, this would is a wallet drain after all. You won't even have to thank me later, even though I know you will want to.

Surprisingly, I agree with you. (I'm totally kidding about the "surprisingly" part.)

I think this is a very good way to go instead of dropping $1000 on various knives that you're not even sure you're going to use or need.

For 90% of my cooking, I can just use my gyuto. The last 10% is parer, petty (when I'm just looking for a knife within reach), deba (for breaking down whole fish), and yanagiba (for skinning, portioning fish, slicing meat - yeah, I do this, cutting sashimi). I have a bread knife - haven't used it in months; I have four cleavers, but really only need one - I recommend getting a thicker cleaver that you can use for breaking down chicken, fish, etc., than a vegetable cleaver if you gravitate toward using a gyuto for most of your general vegetable prep - and rarely use them.

I would get that gyuto and a good stone, use the gyuto a lot, learn how to sharpen, and sharpen that knife a lot. I absolutely recommend a stone holder; it made sharpening much more fun for me.

That stone holder is like night and day. The purchase order for any new sharpner should be stone, holder, stone, flattening plate, stone, JNat.

You should keep in mind Meals that the Kochi you are talking about is carbon steel. So my powerful crystal ball is telling me you will buy the Ginga. Anyone that dares to go against the crystal ball will be stricken with the flu.

If your Gyuto price is 300.00 under my vote would be for the Gesshin Ginga.I have the Uraku & the stainless in it works well for cutting duties.The Ginga is a step up.These knives are superb & meant to be used.Your 240 Gyuto will be your main knife.

If you are thinking of stepping into the cooking world,I feel a boning knife is a must.I used mine all the time.The Ginga wt. a damp towel on the board,would be good for Maki Sushi rolls.That one Gyuto can do alot of things.I like the Hiromoto AS petty a workhorse blade,only the edge will patina because the core is quality carbon steel.

I would hold off on a Sugi unless you feel you really need it.Start wt. one good Med. stone,I like Bester 1200 or Gesshin 2K.Need a diamond plate to level your stone.And put JKI Jon's sharpening vids,the link shown on this thread on your favorites list & you will be on your way to becoming a freehand sharpener on Whetstones:)

Are there any that I knives that I could try at Sur la Table or SW before I from the above site??

FWIW, the myabi artison line at sur la table is pretty nice, and priced pretty low i think. i dont like the handle but theyre good cutters. for the price atleast.

So I am sure I am not going to get any street cred, but I made a few small purchases. I broke my old J H $20 knife opening a spaghetti squash, no love lost. I do really want a Ginga 240 Wa Stainless, but is out of stock...so is the petty I want. I really did want to hold the Ginga before I bought it too. I went to a local chain kitchen store and got a deal on a Global Hollow Edge Santoku and a Global 5 1/2 Nakiri as they were demo knifes for $160. They sharpened them for me, I do like the balance of the knife, its not handle heavy .

I am a home cook, and cut up tons of veggies as I have a vegetarian in the house. I do need some sort of filet knife for fish, and a cleaver, to chop up a whole chickens and to open spaghetti's squashes, although maybe I should get a Deba. If there are any recommendations out there, I did pick up the Tojiro ITK Bread Knife. I have watched all of Jon's sharpening videos, but have not made any purchases in the sharpening dept either, I have one other old knife that I can practice sharpening on too. I don't want a carbon knife, put I'm open to there brands ect. I would like to have a nice collection of different makes ect. So let me know what you think. I know Global isn't the greatest, but I will not be as worried when the lady uses them, and was a good deal.

That stone holder is like night and day. The purchase order for any new sharpner should be stone, holder, stone, flattening plate, stone, JNat.

You should keep in mind Meals that the Kochi you are talking about is carbon steel. So my powerful crystal ball is telling me you will buy the Ginga. Anyone that dares to go against the crystal ball will be stricken with the flu.
I would say stone and flattener are both #1 as far as necessity. you can sharpen without a holder, and you can do it with one stone, but that stone needs to be flat.

THEORY, do you sharpen your bread knife? I have (and love) the same knife, I noticed its got a big burr on the blade now.

and a cleaver, to chop up a whole chickens and to open spaghetti's squashes, although maybe I should get a Deba.

Don't use a deba for chickens and squash please! Thats what your cheap chinese cleavers are for!

Back