Chinese Cleaver / Cai dao – Carbon or Stainless Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally my CCKs arrived, thank you very much for all help. Added some info and photos in this thread.

if you see this Kamelion, I'd love to know which you prefer / final verdict. It sounds like the 1303 over the 1912, but that is based off your one sentence.

I've been debating between the two and CKTG has a sale on 1303 for $60 right now

I've been working mostly with a light, thin stainless CCK No. 1 slicer and a heavy Leung Tim chopper(they said it was carbon but it isn't staining) since I returned from Hong Kong. Really like that CCK. I have another half dozen new knives to work my way through with most of them carbon. I did dig out a carbon Double Sword to compare to the stainless CCK. I would stay they are about equal.

Some vegan friends of mine just got married, so I gave them the stainless CCK that CKTG sells. They're not knife people and I'd heard that the CCK stainless is decent steel (if a bit of a mystery) so I went that route. Didn't want to gift anyone a knife that would rust. Seemed nice enough when I handled it. It's a shame that they seem to cost so much in the US now.

I really want the large Takeda cleaver. Super bad.

Anyone know where to get CCK's here in the USA, or online? Chefs Mall on line is not working, don't know what happened to them, I have a couple of orders with them but they are pending and nothing is happening. I have found some of the CCK's available on EBay, restaurant mall, and CKTG. Would like to get a CCK 1622 or 1623 and try double swords, etc.

Good question. First they canceled my order because they said they couldn't find anyone that would ship knives. Now I can't even open the website. Aliexpress said they shipped a cleaver my way last week so it must not be China wide problem.

if you see this Kamelion, I'd love to know which you prefer / final verdict. It sounds like the 1303 over the 1912, but that is based off your one sentence.

My new love is a 1911 but I also picked up a 1302 in the CCK store. Would rather have had a 1301 but they didn't seem to be in stock. For what it is worth the 1302 is larger than the 1911.

Did a little calculating of the exchange rate and that CCK 1911 cost me roughly $46 in Hong Kong. I can't seem to find the receipt for the 1302 (I went back to CCK twice)

I have the stainless CCK. At first I didn't like the steel, but after a while messing with it. It seems decent/good enough.

I couldn’t find a 1622 on CCK website. Which one is it?

Good question. First they canceled my order because they said they couldn't find anyone that would ship knives. Now I can't even open the website. Aliexpress said they shipped a cleaver my way last week so it must not be China wide problem.

I have a cleaver on it's way from Hong Kong, from an eBay purchase. Tracking is working, looks to be in transit.

Strange, I see your ChefsMall link (until I try a second time, and then I can't?
but I don't see those models on the CCK website. But then I really didn't find the CCK people in the store that knowledgeable about their line either. :)

You only have one option. Get one carbon and one stainless. Double the love, double the fun.

Back