Chipped Shun

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis7490

Reaction score
I have a 7"Shun classic chef's knife that is about a year old. great shape, balance, etc. I was splitting a chicken in half, and cutting through the ribcage, not the heave bone, and the blade chipped about 2" back from the tip.
I've already written Shun to see what to do. But, I am curious if this is usual with Shun or not? I have split ??? chicken with my 8" Henkels over the last 30 years without a single problem. I've used countless other knives for the same task, including my other Shuns, without a problem. It is my go-to knife for most of my kitchen tasks, as it's not as unwieldily as the heavier Henkels, or as fine as my super blue Japanese petty.
New knife time? Any suggestions on replacements?
thanks,

Dennis

Pics? How long and deep is the chip?

I would not use any decent jKnife to cut through bones, chipping will not be uncommon. also, I've seen a fair amount of chipping on shuns. I'm not sure it's the steel...probably more a combination of steel + usage. The good news is: easily repaired.

I have a 7"Shun classic chef's knife that is about a year old. great shape, balance, etc. I was splitting a chicken in half, and cutting through the ribcage, not the heave bone, and the blade chipped about 2" back from the tip.
I've already written Shun to see what to do. But, I am curious if this is usual with Shun or not? I have split ??? chicken with my 8" Henkels over the last 30 years without a single problem. I've used countless other knives for the same task, including my other Shuns, without a problem. It is my go-to knife for most of my kitchen tasks, as it's not as unwieldily as the heavier Henkels, or as fine as my super blue Japanese petty.
New knife time? Any suggestions on replacements?
thanks,

Dennis

If you are going though bones, get a Western deba - this one is a 240 mm Tojiro DP:

[video=youtube;urIeUid1TMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urIeUid1TMo[/video]

Or use your soft steel German knife . You will find after cutting any type of bone or shell say as in lobster even the German blade will need re sharpening. Shun is around 60 in hardness will chip on hard objects.

A medium cleaver is good for cutting through ribcage. Never use a hard thin Japanese Gyuto on any hard objects, they will chip. You can pick up a cleaver for cheap.

Sharpen out the chip, and don't do any thinning. Now you have a knife that should be robust enough to split chickens,( still don't cut through harder bones) but you will find it won't cut through other produce like it used to.
This gives you the perfect excuse to pick up a new gyuto :D

Back