choosing a long sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the Kochi so far? I have been looking at getting one later on after I get rid of a couple. If possible pics are always welcome :D

It has ripped through everything with ease. I portioned fish, sliced up a chicken ballotine, cut a pork butt in half. I was holding off on commenting until I get through my buckboard bacon tomorrow.

Pictures don't really do it justice, even the pictures on JKI. How to explain... I guess the exposed edge part, not sure what the term for it is, but it's an even width along the length of the knife. Also it was polished nice and shiny which you can't tell from the website pictures. The kurouchi clad has a cool texture to it, not lacquered, but not rough like some other KU knives i have. The edge itself is uniform along the edge as well. Maybe I'm just used to buying used knives and cheaper knives with sub par fit and finish.

It's definitely on the thicker side and doesn't flex at all. As a protein slicer, that's what I was looking for though. So far, very happy with the fit and finish and cutting.

Also it is oversized for a 270. I compared it to my 12" slicer (304mm) and it was just shy of that.

Thanks for that sounds great :doublethumbsup:

It has ripped through everything with ease. I portioned fish, sliced up a chicken ballotine, cut a pork butt in half. I was holding off on commenting until I get through my buckboard bacon tomorrow.

Pictures don't really do it justice, even the pictures on JKI. How to explain... I guess the exposed edge part, not sure what the term for it is, but it's an even width along the length of the knife. Also it was polished nice and shiny which you can't tell from the website pictures. The kurouchi clad has a cool texture to it, not lacquered, but not rough like some other KU knives i have. The edge itself is uniform along the edge as well. Maybe I'm just used to buying used knives and cheaper knives with sub par fit and finish.

It's definitely on the thicker side and doesn't flex at all. As a protein slicer, that's what I was looking for though. So far, very happy with the fit and finish and cutting.

Also it is oversized for a 270. I compared it to my 12" slicer (304mm) and it was just shy of that.
Glad to hear you're happy with that Kochi suji. The profile looks nice in the photos on the site, a perfect curve for protein pull cuts.

I also use a 300mm HD2 Konosuke Suji. Works and with the flexibility Konosuke offers on the handle & blade finish, its a nice piece to have showing on the table (I've got blackish ebony handle with a silver spacer). The HD2 aspect lets you feel more at ease leaving it out for awhile if/when someone else inevitably touches it. I do agree something a little thicker might actually be functionally better for cooked meats. I sometimes think I spent too much though.

Back