Cocktails

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been able to tell the difference between stirred and shaken...what does shaking do that changes the taste anyways? (In reference to Gin martinis)

To me it's primarily an esthetic / visual effect. Shaking introduces small shards of ice and air, which spoils the pleasing clarity of a well made martini. If you put a gun to my head, I doubt I could taste the difference. Especially after the second one. :dazed:

To me it's primarily an esthetic / visual effect. Shaking introduces small shards of ice and air, which spoils the pleasing clarity of a well made martini. If you put a gun to my head, I doubt I could taste the difference. Especially after the second one. :dazed:

Well there's the concept of "bruising the alcohol," whatever that means. But people do claim that shaken martinis have a bit more of a bite and therefore is inferior. And I also just dropped a lot of money on another pair of earphones cause the bass must be that much clearer :scratchhead: yea, stirring the martini is way cheaper...

Martinis do have there place.....

" I love a martini - but two at the most. Three I'm under the table; four, I'm under the host." - Dorothy Parker

Well, for all of us into Japanese knives, it doesn't seem a far step to get into Japanese cocktail technique. Here is the famous master mixologist from Japan, Kazuo Uyeda, doing his hard shake. Pretty cool. If I could do that and not look like a complete idiot, I would shake everything -- I'd probably shake my milk before pouring it into my cereal ;)

k.

[video=youtube;2yMoYhYZF4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yMoYhYZF4o[/video]

" I love a martini - but two at the most. Three I'm under the table; four, I'm under the host." - Dorothy Parker

So, if I go out with a lady and order eight martinis - is that too obvious?

I'm also more on the conservative side when it comes to cocktails. Martinis, mint juleps, caipirinhas, mojitos, gin tonics, that's about it.

Stefan

Back my question - I got some saffron infused vodka. What can I make with that?

I myself don't have an idea, but one of the mixologists on eGullet had this drink with saffron vodka. It was an original of hers.

Law of Desire
1.5 oz saffron vodka
.75 oz Licor 43
.25 oz Southern Comfort
.25 oz sour mix

Shake all into up glass, add pinch chili threads for garnish.

k.

My office in New York was on 44th Street, diagonally across from the Algonquin Hotel. I've enjoyed more than a few martinis at the site of Ms. Parker's famous Round Table luncheons.
martini-drinking-emoticon.gif

What are your favorite cocktail recipes? I am looking for some ideas for a get together I am having next week :biggrin: Cheers

Chocolate martini. 2 oz cacao nib infused vodka, 2oz creme de cacao, 1oz vanilla vodka, 1oz grand marnier, 1tbs cacao powder. shake and pour into a martini glass dust cacao powder on top

If you have a juicer here's what I would do:

Juice:
1 lemon
1 lime
1 big whack of ginger
1 jalapeno pepper
1 fist full of cilantro

Use that + the infused vodka for a killer Bloody Mary.

pandamonium:
absolut pears vodka
full throttle citrus energy drink
cran-apple juice
wedge of lime

pink drink:
bacardi limon
minute maid mixberry juice
orange juice
slice of orange

Well since it was a show day I'm enjoying a double scotch chased with dogfish head 60 - 'nuff said . . .

Latest posts

Back