Comments on this truing stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend, for or against, using this Pride ‘truing stone’ to flatten waterstones? Thanks.

0650867F-9E78-45E6-BEC1-0012A730EE28.jpeg

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...ve-truing-stone-for-water-stones?item=70M4100

I had one of this type (at least the shape; mine was SiC, and that probably is too), years ago. It was OK. It worked.

I tossed it when I was flattening a Shapton Glass stone that was way out of flat. Shapton Glass stones are really hard, and it was taking a very long time, and I decided to try my diamond plate, just as a variation. I'd never put a diamond plate on a stone before. I thought it might work OK.

It worked so much faster than the big stone with the grooves that I was stunned. That's when I gave up on this type of stone.

I had one of this type (at least the shape; mine was SiC, and that probably is too), years ago. It was OK. It worked.

I tossed it when I was flattening a Shapton Glass stone that was way out of flat. Shapton Glass stones are really hard, and it was taking a very long time, and I decided to try my diamond plate, just as a variation. I'd never put a diamond plate on a stone before. I thought it might work OK.

It worked so much faster than the big stone with the grooves that I was stunned. That's when I gave up on this type of stone.
It sounds like an inexpensive alternative for flattening a soft stone. I use a Sigma 240 for flattening, it’s quite soft and flattens quickly. I seem to burn through diamond plates and am looking for something serviceable for mundane tasks.
SIC indeed.

Not only very slow, but loosing its particles as well, and won't stay flat itself. Make sure to rinse abundantly the flattened stone. A 60 grit SiC particle is no fun.
Have tried different ones trying to save a hollow Chosera 2k. Should have bought much earlier an Atoma 140.

I tried this kind of stone from a different brand (Naniwa) and was never a fan.. like Benuser my experience was 'should have bought an Atoma straight away'.

It sounds like an inexpensive alternative for flattening a soft stone. I use a Sigma 240 for flattening, it’s quite soft and flattens quickly. I seem to burn through diamond plates and am looking for something serviceable for mundane tasks.
SIC indeed.
The experience I described was decades ago. I still have that plate, and it still does the job just fine. Under the microscope, the diamonds are worn down to be flush with the plate, but that doesn't seem to keep it from working for flattening stones and raising slurry. It's actually better for raising slurry on finer stones, because it won't put little grooves in the surface of the stone.

Since a truing stone like this will itself become out of flat as noted by Benuser, and you will need to use loose grit to flatten it, I would skip the truing stone and use loose grit directly. As I just linked for another thread:

Since a truing stone like this will itself become out of flat as noted by Benuser, and you will need to use loose grit to flatten it, I would skip the truing stone and use loose grit directly. As I just linked for another thread:

Thanks. In my situation, that’s a lot of stuff to set up every time I want to flatten an individual stone. But it looks right for flattening the flattener. It’s good to see because I didn’t realize how little of each grit is used in this method.

Not only very slow, but loosing its particles as well, and won't stay flat itself. Make sure to rinse abundantly the flattened stone. A 60 grit SiC particle is no fun.
Have tried different ones trying to save a hollow Chosera 2k. Should have bought much earlier an Atoma 140.
Learned that! I was all excited about the big ol slurry I'd just raised on a BBW with my Shapton hockey puck till my first stroke felt...the opposite of what blue mud should feel like.

Learned that! I was all excited about the big ol slurry I'd just raised on a BBW with my Shapton hockey puck till my first stroke felt...the opposite of what blue mud should feel like.
I must say, the Shapton hockey puck is excellent in reviving 320 and 220 stones. Should have mentioned it earlier.

I just remembered! Mine ended up curving. Not just being out of true, the whole stone was curved slightly. Probably went through too many temperature changed in cold New England kitchens IG.

And what do you use for those?
For those it's more of a process.

For knife sharpening "flat" means "I can erase a grid of sharpie lines after lapping the surface lightly about 10 times". And I often don't even bother with lines. But that's the general idea.

For razors, it's a fussier process and flatness counts for a lot more. For this I want "dead flat". This means using a straight edge I KNOW is flat. I lay it on the stone across 8 axes, 3 times on the long axis plus 3 times on the short axis (left, right, center), then the two diagonals. If I see light between the stone and the straight edge, it ain't flat.

When you flatten by hand (as opposed to a milling machine) you inevitably create either a hollow or dome in the middle of the stone. Depends on how much hand wobble you have, and the flatness of your plate. It could be not flat due to a warp the metal plate. It could have a slight concave surface due to uneven diamond wear in the middle. Or both. Fun times!

Long story short, it's pretty challenging (at least for me) to get dead flat by hand.

If a stone is badly dished, I'll take the worst out with a diamond plate or SiC powder on a piece of wet dry paper on top a granite reference block. Depends on how hard the stone is.

Once that's done, I hope to have less than 1mm of light between stone and straight edge. It's easier to do the last step it the stone is slightly hollow - a domed surface needs more concentration. So I usually try to STOP flattening when I have a slight dish. If I over do it, I'll usually make a dome.

Now it's time for dead flat.

Back to the granite reference block with a fresh sheet of 120 grit paper, no SiC powder. With slow, controlled, non wobbling moves, I drag the stone on the paper. I'm not scrubbing, just one direction, deliberate pushes and pulls.

If I was smart and left a dish in the stone, it'll rest on its ends, and those will wear until I hit dead flat. If I was careless earlier, it'll have a dome. Then I need to hold it in the stone in the center, and try not to rock it as I move or I'll just recreate the dome on every pass. Grinding material but not making progress.

This step needs frequent comparison to the straight edge, and stopping just when you're done. It's really easy to push past flat and start making a dome. Stone surface needs to be dry when referencing.

For softer stones like some cotis it's often not worth it to be this flat because honing a razor will get you off dead flat within a few passes. For cotis, you need to be OK with that and work with the stone. For an Ark, it's so bloody hard that having it dead flat is worth the time investment. Especially because if it's domed, your razors apex will never actually touch the stone and you'll get no benefit. It it's hollow, your Apex will become more obtuse the more you hone. And for razors that counts. Obviously it's a matter of degrees, but the closer the better. I'll also condition an Ark to 600-1000 grit after flattening, FWIW.

As a last note, having your bevel setting razor stone dead flat is a huge benefit since the rest of the progression is just polishing an established, sharp apex. Flat is a platonic shape you can return any stone to. Varying shapes of worn stones are not replicable, so starting flat and staying flat through a whole progression means your final finishing stone is going to shine so much more because you did the ground work properly.

For a knife, there's so much hand wobble it's like pfff who cares about dead flat. I'll never be able to hold a knife stable enough to need more than "good enough".

Sorry to hijack. Kinda got going.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack. Kinda got going.
Fine with me, I appreciate it. I did not realize this extra precision was needed for razor hones. It may explain why I had such inconsistent results with a straight when I tried it. Interesting observations regarding the dish and dome.

Fine with me, I appreciate it. I did not realize this extra precision was needed for razor hones. It may explain why I had such inconsistent results with a straight when I tried it. Interesting observations regarding the dish and dome.
I've found straights are about 10x as fussy as knives and I never expected it. After 5-6 years getting my knife sharpening game down, I was pretty confident I could nail razors. Nope. Didn't start to feel good about it for 2 more years.

If you ever want to try again let me know.

One thing these style of “flattening” stone are good for is reconditioning coarse stones, especially something like resin bonded NSK stuff. Not great for flattening, but good for surface refreshing.

Personally… I haven’t found razors that fussy. I find stones plenty flat enough after an atoma treatment ( though I use a different metal base that’s more than twice as thick and heavy as standard and hyper at). Maybe I’ve just been lucky with what I’m honing so far, but I’ve not had issue getting a good edge in mine without going through all the rigmarole I see on some razor forums.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky with what I’m honing so far, but I’ve not had issue getting a good edge in mine without going through all the rigmarole I see on some razor forums.
I suspect two things are going on. One, you're a much better sharpener overall than me and two, I'm probably over thinking it. I can do that.

There seem to be two camps on razors. All I know is that after experimenting, I get noticeably sharper and face friendlier edges if I spend more effort getting the maximum benefit from each progression stone, and fuss over flatness a bit. I can't get past a certain sharpness plateau unless I go through that. But honestly it adds double the time for 10-20% more sharpness and comfort.

But it's really hard to tell how your edge compares with someone else's unless they're both in hand. I've received razors from others and I know Stringer makes a razor as sharp as mine in 1/2 the time I do. When I was learning, his razors became my target to hit to know it I was on point or not. On the other hand, I've done stone and razor swaps where razors are not as sharp as what I can produce on the exact same stone.

So many variables it can drive you nuts if you have a brain like mine. I probably need to chill out a little.

Sorry for turning a flattening stone thread into a razor thread. Classic forum.

I suspect two things are going on. One, you're a much better sharpener overall than me and two, I'm probably over thinking it. I can do that.

There seem to be two camps on razors. All I know is that after experimenting, I get noticeably sharper and face friendlier edges if I spend more effort getting the maximum benefit from each progression stone, and fuss over flatness a bit. I can't get past a certain sharpness plateau unless I go through that. But honestly it adds double the time for 10-20% more sharpness and comfort.

But it's really hard to tell how your edge compares with someone else's unless they're both in hand. I've received razors from others and I know Stringer makes a razor as sharp as mine in 1/2 the time I do. When I was learning, his razors became my target to hit to know it I was on point or not. On the other hand, I've done stone and razor swaps where razors are not as sharp as what I can produce on the exact same stone.

So many variables it can drive you nuts if you have a brain like mine. I probably need to chill out a little.

Sorry for turning a flattening stone thread into a razor thread. Classic forum.
This is better than Reductio ad TF!

I doubt I’m better at sharpening… I think my actual sharpening is okay not great. I’m patient with bevels and polishing, but edges… maybe not.

My comparison razor is a matched pair of kamisori - one honed by a true master - another by me. I haven’t quite matched the wizardry that the master achieved, but fairly close.

Guess it’s time to bust out the straight edge and see what’s what! Life’s no fun without learning and experimenting. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing and all that

I'm so glad this forum exists. I sound like such a weirdo explaining my "sanding" obsession to normal people.
My wife, bless her heart, once asked about my “pet rocks” trying to show interest in my hobbies. After 30 minutes of rambling or so I could see the regret in her eyes and stopped. One of the internets redeeming qualities is allowing people with niche interests to connect and share knowledge. Forums like this are awesome for that.

"Don't you already have enough (insert whichever knife related object it is)?" - Significant Other

"Well, this one...." - KKF Member

"🙄" - Significant Other

"...is different than the other one's." KKF Member

"Ok dear...weirdo...." - Significant Other

Bought one as my first flattening stone .... Worked on for soft shines , then I bought shapton glass and Kuromaku stones...... It worked but was slow. Then like everyone else , I bought an Atoma 140...... Haven't touched anything else since

Back