Common sharpening/polishing mistakes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grinding bevels on a wide bevel knives until they are completely flat and thus easier to put a jaw dropping kasumi on them [emoji39] (that is my suspicion about some of the stuff I have been seeing lately on IG)

I'd prefer jaw dropping geometry to flat bevels...screw the finish;)

Maybe not exactly jaw dropping/perfect (see the slight faceting in certain lights) but it doesn't have to be flat...

2fdea749e1bd8a8526f8a39925f2003f.jpgfe6ad35e34e4fd602b8e4e926ccef95e.jpg06388857d746b8d10c4209334c6fd1c9.jpgfbe0c52f119db5ccf7b4b55dadc50cb6.jpg93ef2bf43dd14d3bbf499382e48cf36b.jpg9f5024dff99b868fb4c65169f05a6b39.jpgde02311f63801e20a94e8c4bf89bf5ef.jpg

now, if someone would find me a solution for this mess...

248f3145269811bc5982d1b21973b0b9.jpg

PS, the bevels are NOT flat :rofl2:

100. Being aware that your knowledge of sharpening is rudimentary and you are in fact a pretty crap sharpener.

101. Reading this thread and being made aware that you actually know much less than you thought you did and consequently you are probably a crapper sharpener than you thought you were also.

100. Being aware that your knowledge of sharpening is rudimentary and you are in fact a pretty crap sharpener.

101. Reading this thread and being made aware that you actually know much less than you thought you did and consequently you are probably a crapper sharpener than you thought you were also.
If it makes you unhappy, don't waste your time on it. I started getting dermatitis flare-ups and it really eroded what little enjoyment I got from stone work. Bigger jobs inevitably tore up the gloves and finger condoms, so I rarely do any polishing now. Better than getting frustrated and disappointed.

Hey,I resemble those remarks.:)

This is a really good point, I read somewhere on this forum cant remember who, suggested using a kitchen scale to find out how much force you are actually applying. That became the first thing I do no before I sharpen, self calibration.

If it helps I use about 4# of pressure for raising a burr only. If I am starting out on a touch-up I normally start out at half that, around 2# and reduce that to 1# or so as I finish up. Stropping strokes on the stone are much less than that. Almost no pressure at all. Polishing bevels is, for me, about very light pressure. If I get over zealous I end up with streaking.

If it makes you unhappy, don't waste your time on it. I started getting dermatitis flare-ups and it really eroded what little enjoyment I got from stone work. Bigger jobs inevitably tore up the gloves and finger condoms, so I rarely do any polishing now. Better than getting frustrated and disappointed.

Sorry to hear that...your finishes always looked particularly nice.

It doesn’t make me unhappy as such. I don’t dislike sharpening but I don’t love it either. I don’t spend much time sharpening because I’ve got too many knives that don’t get used enough so they’re not dulling at a rate that would force me to spend more time sharpening and thus improve my skills. Concepts such as fingerstones, naturals, polishing, measuring pressure etc are all fairly esoteric to me. I guess my post was a little bit tongue in cheek because I can recognise my level of incompetence but I am largely happy at that level. Sorry to hear about the dermatitis too btw. That’s a bummer.

Back