Composite Damascus Kitchen Knife Sets WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Differentiation as in hardness/temper or visual difference of materials?

Basically each knife is made up of 5 bars of materials. 3 bars of opposing twists, a bar of basket weave then the edge material which is the only one which has no pure nickel, only very high carbon steels, edge section is also very high layer, enough so the two materials behave as one. Edge is 65hrc.

It echoes techniques used in saxon swords, bold pattern, softer materials in the core of the blade, high layer hard materials on the edge. Makes all kind of sense:)

Here is an insight into how this works in a wrap around edge on a pattern welded sword all be it in modern materials, by my friend Mick Maxen.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27614

Thanks Tim! I've been looking at these for too long and was worried a little about the whole ladder thing and it making the twists look too random and the edge too blobby and not looking quite right with the hollow/convex grind. But the details really only showed after a full polish. The higher the layer the higher grit finish needed or it will just look grey and scratchy even at 600 grit in this case. These were finished with micro mesh to about 10,000 and you can still see the scratch pattern in the edge weld. But its really crisp so I'm very happy about that and the way it all looks with the grinds/contrast between high layer and the bold twists and mosaic.

Thanks All, Stay tunes for the whole set of 4 and the Pair with Western handles. Upon my return from the Isle of Jersey.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back