Compulsive Buying - Do you buy unusual stuff you don't really need?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thing is I think/try to do/make every thing my self so come the end of the day I have accumulated a ungodly amount of tools and such that I would have saved a whole lot of time and money if I would have just bought the thing to begin with. My garage looks like Clint Eastwoods in grand tareno..less the kickass car.

Like a sourdough starter? That would be pretty freakin cool.

I have some that I got from a bakery in Egypt when I was there, it supposedly from around 1500 b/c. Don't know if that's true or not but it was free from a place a taxi driver took me not some tourist spot, place looked like it was from 1500 B/C.

I also have one from Boudin Bakery in San Francisco that I got my self when I was there, it's got some history behind it.

I have some that I got from a bakery in Egypt when I was there, it supposedly from around 1500 b/c. Don't know if that's true or not but it was free from a place a taxi driver took me not some tourist spot, place looked like it was from 1500 B/C.

I also have one from Boudin Bakery in San Francisco that I got my self when I was there, it's got some history behind it.
Hmm... Would love to get some of that. Don't think it gets any better.

PT me a addy and just pay for shipping, yeast is something that should be shared

I will do that this week when I get my check. I really appreciate it. I just bought a misono Ux10 and a tojiro itk bread knife this week:biggrin:

Chef Niloc not sure how you plan on shipping. PT sent. I can send cash, PayPal, self returned big envelope. Let me know. Some Boudin bakery sourdough would be excellent with my seafood. Still need to break in my Staub Boulliabaisse pot.:biggrin:

I got it today.Thank you!Thank you!:doublethumbsup:

My thing is I think/try to do/make every thing my self so come the end of the day I have accumulated a ungodly amount of tools and such that I would have saved a whole lot of time and money if I would have just bought the thing to begin with. My garage looks like Clint Eastwoods in grand tareno..less the kickass car.

I think trying your hand at making something you like is way more fun than just buying the finished item.
But on the other side of the coin after finding out first hand how much is involved in making the item, I gain a whole new respect for those who are doing a good job making them.
Like knives.

Something I have that I can never really use? A blackjack which totally illegal to carry, even with a concealed weapons permit.

I had it made simply because my grandfather carried one at work and when he died, my grandmother threw it out. He was a railroad engineer back in the days of steam engines and the rail yard could be a pretty rough place at night. For some strange and inexplicable reason I felt the need to replace it. :dontknow:

I think it is fun to collect cool and unusual things just because you like them.
I get some funny looks from the wife sometimes.
It usually goes something like;
"Look what came in the mail today, isn't it cool?"
What are you going to do with that?

"S***, I don't know. But isn't it cool?"
How much did you pay for that?
"Oh, I got a really good deal"
That's nice rolls her eyes

No wife here, but i fall into the same situation all the time...

What if someone offered a 300-year-old yeast?

k.

So...yeast...it has bacteria... if a yeast youre very fond of gets moved from one location to another... lets say sanfran to seattle, you will have a totally different yeast. Why? Temperature/ climate/ different bacteria in the air.

I have it easy right now. I live in an rv with a roommate! So space is tight. Besides knives i also have over $6k in vintage tobacco pipes and memorabilia. Not pot, tobacco. Amongst many other odd things...invluding the rv itself!

Rv is doable. Pipe collection is everywhere...i even own a frickin pipe business! I of course bought it on a whim.....and dont do anything with it. Deadmanspipes.com

I buy pc and PS3 games and think about how fun it would be to play them. Then lately, never do. I must have 10 games lying around. sigh.

I buy pc and PS3 games and think about how fun it would be to play them. Then lately, never do. I must have 10 games lying around. sigh.

I do the same thing with PS3 games, time is the most important comodity these days. Like many my job is a 24/7 job, enrolled in two different schools programs, a gf and organizations/community service all military are required to be part of. Who has time for video games...I miss being a kid. Great avatar, didn't know you are into espresso. What's your gear?

Back