Compulsive Spending - I can't help it

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I thought they had stopped exporting that? One of my favorite woods, looks like you got great pieces, too.

Stefan

Throughout the past several months some of the Koa suppliers are wanting $200 to $300 a board foot for good figured Koa.
You never even see the really good stuff. The loggers tend to keep it stashed until they really need the money.
Then, you don't haggle. You just pay what they ask and say thank you.

This is from the batch that I am drying. Looks like it will be pretty good stuff.
It might not look like much now because it is not dry and only sanded to 120 grit.
But when it gets stabilized and sanded finer, that is when the figure really stands out.

k005_zps72317835.jpg

Now, that's some nice grain

Wow, I thought they had stopped exporting that? One of my favorite woods, looks like you got great pieces, too.
Stefan
My understanding is no export of raw wood.
Technically, these are finished products.

Mark , also need to add to my collection, omg what is this wood called

Fran

This just arrived from Hawaii.
ks001_zps49287843.jpg

It is about 4 foot long. Should be able to get some good blocks from this slab. Too soon to tell but it looks like a good portion of the slab will yield blocks with bold figure on all 4 surfaces.

I cut up the slab into double size blocks and had to sand a couple to get an idea what it will be like.
There are areas with different colors and the figure varies a bit, but it looks like it will be some of the good stuff.
ks004_zpscb4cca00.jpg

Oh damn....there goes all of my money...
I dont even use it...i think i am just collecting it lol.

The Thuya Burl purchase fell through so I won't be getting them.

I know someone else here in Oregon who has some large Thuya Burls stashed.
Probably should give him a phone call.

I did a little bottom feeding on ebay today and found some wood that seems to have been overlooked.
As soon as these arrive I will cut them up and send them to K&G for stabilizing.
Some Curly Gabon Ebony
Clipboard01_zps152ca6b4.jpg

and some Masur Birch
mb_zpsc80f864c.jpg

I was eying that lot of curly ebony, though I'd hardly call it bottom feeding. Maybe it's cheap relative to its value, but it's a hunk of change for me to spend on the bunch!

At least now I can try a small piece. :)

I am hoping that it will darken a bit and still show the figure when it get's stabilized.
It wasn't cheap (low retail) but it is unique and could have sold for a lot more.

Back