D. Martell Contest

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home - Knife was put in dishwasher

Pro - Co-worker tried to pry open a lid.

Jay

Home: Amateur sharpening
Pro : Cutting through hard stuff (bones, etc.)

Home-opening cans or tins.
Pro -dismembering bad reviewer from trip advisor.

Home. Husband opened Mexican beer
Work. Co worker dropped it

Home: trying to get the lid off the can.

Pro: I was making stock, and went through some small bones.

Ether that, or:

Home: My dog ate my knife.

Pro: I ate my knife, after shift, with some instant ramen...ok, and maybe a few Sapporos and a bag of...ahem...instant ramen.

Home: Opening a can

Pro: One of the other staff members used it

Home: practicing knife throwing

work: knife fight

(home--dropped, work--lent it to someone)

I'm with ThEoRy on this one...
at home the wife/ MIL used it on the granite countertop and then put it in the dishwasher.
At work my co-worker/idiot took my knife and tried to pry the drain off of the floor and than put my knife in the dishwasher.
I'm voting against the "dropping it on the floor" defense, because a lot of times that's more than just a broken tip. There's not notta lotta Mr. Martell can do about a knife that's busted in half.

Well it looks like we have a winner here folks! :doublethumbsup:

The top explantions I get are...

Home User Answer - Mother In Law

Pro Answer - CoWorker

So Chris, shoot me your address and I'll shoot your your new stone. :)

Thanks to everyone fo playing along.

Dave

Here are some of the other explanations I hear often. Remember I said explanation - not the truth....LOL :D

Home User - MIL, Wife/Girlfriend, Relatives, House Guest, Kids, Garbage Disposal, Chef's Choice, Dropped, Chopping, Granite Counter Top, Knife Sharpening Service

Pro - CoWorker, Dishwasher, "Chef Borrowed My Knife", Dropped, Backsplash, Frozen Foods, Knife Sharpening Service, Can Opening, Box Opening, Knife Roll, Used a Steel, Tru-Hone

Yaaayyy!
sweet, thanks Dave!
:bliss:
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx:

Home user: spouse used it

Pro user: ungrateful customer had a thicker than expected skull.

Man, it is always nice to come to a contest late and realize you wouldn't have won it anyhow. With that said, my mother in law is the weakest point in my household. She puts everything in the dishwasher, is drugged up on meds most of the time, and treats my kitchen like it is her own. Too much can go wrong.

Thanks for the fun contest Dave.

k.

Home: somebody was showing his precious knife to a friend. "Look how sharp it is" and then knife landed on the floor.
Pro: lack of space/ hit the wall.

home- marble/granite cutting board
pro- dropped

edit: too late damn it

So today I was working on panda's 240 Shig Gyuto. Thinning it out and cleaning it up a little, well then the mailman delivers this excellent stone.
It put such a nice edge on this Shig, I think it could push-cut through a stack of phone books!
I also touched up a couple of Harners with it too. Very, very, very nice.
Thanks again Dave!

So today I was working on panda's 240 Shig Gyuto. Thinning it out and cleaning it up a little, well then the mailman delivers this excellent stone.
It put such a nice edge on this Shig, I think it could push-cut through a stack of phone books!
I also touched up a couple of Harners with it too. Very, very, very nice.
Thanks again Dave!

Awesome! I'm glad you're having fun with it Chris. :)

Fun thread! Congrats Chris!

I cringe at a lot of things people do with their knives at work: excessive and improper use of a honing rod, using another knife or edge of counter to hone/strop, excessive force for chopping on plastic boards.

I've seen many frowning knives, and chipped tips. I, now, hide all my knives when not in use, and will only loan out a beater Dexter knife.

Back