Convert Gas Grill to use Ceramic Briquettes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxhaus

Reaction score
I have an old gas grill that I decided to rebuild. The gas tubes are shot. The thermometer doesn't work. It has good bones as it was labelled a commercial model. My current 6 burner is giving up also so I decided to rebuild the commercial 4-burner. The 4-burner has better quality parts which I think will last longer.
I was looking at using lava rock instead of the standard heat shields. But after researching it I think ceramic briquettes will work better. The problem is I need support for the ceramic briquettes. I decided to add a mesh steel for support.
Here is the first picture. The problem was the shelf in the gas grill has rounded corners so I had to modify my steel mesh to fit. I used a cut off wheel and a 6-inch can. I placed the can at each corner and marked the round shape of the can to cut.
Here is my first picture. I still have gas auto lighters to add. You can see 1 in the picture in the middle under the mesh. The screws they sent me are too large and the heads are too small. I need a smaller pan head screw. I may use stainless steel screws if I can find them. The grate shelf is rusting away and I need to weld a bracket on. I might use a couple of big washers and bend them on a vise. Once running I plan to buy a good US made thermometer which I will need to drill out to fit. No more cheap Chinese thermometers for me. I hope to grill steaks today. I have been screwing around with this grill for over a week.

I may not finish the welding today but I can still grill on the right side as the grates work there. I just need to find the screws and I can grill on it.

What I also like about this grill is the upper shelf does not move with the lid. It is fixed. My 6-burner the upper lid moves as you close the lid and food falls off so I don't use the upper rack. It is really hard to use the upper shelf on my 6-burner.

IMG_0471.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture now as it is working. I am going to cook some sausage on it to break it in. I could not find the screws I wanted. I ended up with cheap metal screws. I will see how long they last. A few of the ceramic briquettes were broken. Rather than sending them back I am going to make them work. A good USA thermometer will be my next purchase. I will post a cooking action shot soon.

IMG_0472.jpg

Some action shots. The ceramic briquettes are working well. I seem to only ending up with flamed kissed meat. That is a split-second flame kiss in the second photo. I have the burners on low and it is still browning well.

I am making sausage, potato and cheese tacos for brunch. I have some good hot sauces in the refig.

This sausage is made by one of our local BBQ places. It very tasty garlic sausage. It is available in our local HEB supermarkets as Meyer's garlic sausage.

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Last edited:
Back