Coticules

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's something that demonstrates quite neatly what @stringer was saying above.

I got a new (or rather very old) coti the other day, it looked nice enough, but not necessarily like it’s going to be completely remarkable:

View attachment 286935

It’s medium-ish hardness, and quite fine grained, but oh my is it fast! I was not expecting this:

View attachment 286932

I was actually testing it for speed and grit rather than polishing, so that kiri had just just come of an SG500. But nevertheless you can see in the two pics below that the stone is already completely erasing 500 grit scratch marks and taking the core steel toward mirror. These pictures were taken after about 90 seconds use:

View attachment 286930

View attachment 286931

And after another minute and a half - the SG500 marks are basically gone:

View attachment 286929

This is a really sensational stone, and may be the best polishing Coticule I’ve ever had.
I plan to show your hand pictures to my wife, in the hopes of convincing her that a few cuts here and there on the hand, almost all of the time, are normal.

I can understand your enthusiasm for the speed and variance of coticules; they are fascinating stones, and if you get into a groove with them, and prioritize speed, I can see how they would seem the best of all possible worlds.

I enjoy using them for razors, but while I can get an excellent (but maybe less toothy than I like) edge on a knife with one, the feel of sharpening does not quite resonate with me. The stone seems slippery, numb, not really conveying what is happening. I know there are people who say that about the Shapton Glass stones, no feedback, while I think they have tons of feedback. But in this case, I really do experience a lack of feedback, an anechoic chamber for the hands.

Maybe the problem is that all of my coticules were touted for their fineness or razor-facing qualities. But when was the last time you saw someone bragging about the coarseness of the coticule they were selling?

but while I can get an excellent (but maybe less toothy than I like) edge on a knife with one, the feel of sharpening does not quite resonate with me. The stone seems slippery, numb, not really conveying what is happening.
Try lapping it with a coarse diamond stone. I find mine gets that slippery feeling after quite a bit of use.

I plan to show your hand pictures to my wife, in the hopes of convincing her that a few cuts here and there on the hand, almost all of the time, are normal.

Haha, be my guest! (Gnarlier pictures available on request...)

and prioritize speed,

The reason I like speed, particularly in natural stones for knife sharpening, is that I find that fast stones give more toothy and aggressive edges. In comparison to a similar 'grit' but slower stone which might tend more to polishing and refining an edge.

I never look at edges under a scope, so I can't prove that's true. Just my impressions from cutting stuff, thumbnail tests, &c. But the ideal for me are stones that are relatively fine but also very fast, and good cotis are kicking goals here.

Though an exception that sometimes proves that rule might be certain types of jnat. To make a generalisation; I'd consider most jnats to be fairly slow, especially low and mid git stones. But get a good one and you find a stone that is relatively slow, but still manages to leave nicely bitey edges. No idea why, as I say - it tries the rule. So perhaps it's all just confirmation bias on my part!

I enjoy using them for razors, but while I can get an excellent (but maybe less toothy than I like) edge on a knife with one, the feel of sharpening does not quite resonate with me. The stone seems slippery, numb, not really conveying what is happening. I know there are people who say that about the Shapton Glass stones, no feedback, while I think they have tons of feedback. But in this case, I really do experience a lack of feedback, an anechoic chamber for the hands.

Maybe the problem is that all of my coticules were touted for their fineness or razor-facing qualities. But when was the last time you saw someone bragging about the coarseness of the coticule they were selling?

Certainly the harder and finer cotis will feel like this when used for knives, but softer ones can feel very nice. It's a bit of a shame that the fastest and coarsest of the veins readily available today is also the most expensive - Les Latneuses.

I'd definitely second Mike's thoughts about using with an atoma slurry. I do this with most cotis for knife sharpening. The two stones in my vids above are outliers in terms of how quickly they self slurry.

I'm the exact opposite here. I don't love my SG 1k because I don't feel it has much feedback and since I got the Chosera 800 I never touch it. My Coticules are super creamy and have nice feedback. I did specifically ask Rob at AC for faster ones for knives and not razors though. I got a medium bout (the pinky if you scroll up enough in this thread) that is harder and glassier than my others but also cuts S30V without issues so...idk. Weird, fun stones.

Certainly the harder and finer cotis will feel like this when used for knives, but softer ones can feel very nice. It's a bit of a shame that the fastest and coarsest of the veins readily available today is also the most expensive - Les Latneuses.
I have a couple of small ones to try out. But which side do you mean? In razor-land, we ignore the yellow side and use the one with the pattern, but I'm not sure whether that's what you're recommending here.

I have a couple of small ones to try out. But which side do you mean? In razor-land, we ignore the yellow side and use the one with the pattern, but I'm not sure whether that's what you're recommending here.

Yep - the Les Lat coticule side (rather than the hard 'hybrid' side) is very fast, and probably low-mid grit in coticule terms.

Whereas the hybrid layer of Les Lat is more like an ark; probably a kind of chert, and pretty much 100% silica I believe.

The reason I like speed, particularly in natural stones for knife sharpening, is that I find that fast stones give more toothy and aggressive edges. In comparison to a similar 'grit' but slower stone which might tend more to polishing and refining an edge.

I never look at edges under a scope, so I can't prove that's true. Just my impressions from cutting stuff, thumbnail tests, &c. But the ideal for me are stones that are relatively fine but also very fast, and good cotis are kicking goals here.

When I started honing razors I was having issues getting a really good edge for a few months, but was using knife stones selected over the years for fast speed and maximum tooth.

When I bought harder, slower stones noted for better results on razors, the difference was dramatic. Like, I was erasing 4k scratches with a Shapton pro 1.5k, and it was taking its sweet time about it.

I scoped those edges during the process and your rule of thumb bore out visually as well as what you intuited. At least from my paltry synth subset.

Whereas the hybrid layer of Les Lat is more like an ark; probably a kind of chert, and pretty much 100% silica I believe.

And hard as **** to flatten. Less fun than an Ark. I've done ~10 Arks and that one les lat was plenty for one lifetime. Still isn't done actually. Laughs at a diamond plate. The only thing worse is a Spyderco F/UF.

Last edited:
And hard as **** to flatten. Less fun than an Ark. I've done ~10 Arks and that one les lat was plenty for one lifetime. Still isn't done actually. Laughs at a diamond plate. The only thing worse is a Spyderco F/UF.
My Spyderco F/UF stones have a bit of a curve to them, as though a giant had grabbed the ends and bent them, just a little. Maybe 1mm of daylight in the middle, if I put a straight edge on the stone.

I decided my life would be better if I just ignored the problem. Better than a bend along the other axis, I suppose.

Yep - the Les Lat coticule side (rather than the hard 'hybrid' side) is very fast, and probably low-mid grit in coticule terms.

You were right. The yellow side of my Les Lat felt like a knife stone -- discernible feedback, little bit of rasp, no slipperiness, except it was crazy fast. It made short work of a Maxamet pocket knife that needed a touch-up. Now onward to the kitchen knives.

I'd love a larger one, in a more orthodox shape, but it seems as though you can't even buy them with money. I wish AC hadn't started stamping "Selected Plus" on these stones, which made them seem way too must-have.

I can't believe I had something like this all along, and just thought of it as the useless yellow side of my nice razor hone.

I was hoping to find a bbw buried in the case, but it's just the filet on this one. Quite pretty, imo, and the slurry quickly turned black when I touched up (the parts that could reach) my just barely hardened opinel on it:

before:
PXL_20231215_145652981.jpg

after:
PXL_20231215_153939437.MP.jpg
I'll just keep my eyes out for a bbw to pair it up with, or another oddball size natural that I think it'll pair nicely with, novaculite or otherwise.

You were right. The yellow side of my Les Lat felt like a knife stone -- discernible feedback, little bit of rasp, no slipperiness, except it was crazy fast. It made short work of a Maxamet pocket knife that needed a touch-up. Now onward to the kitchen knives.

I'd love a larger one, in a more orthodox shape, but it seems as though you can't even buy them with money. I wish AC hadn't started stamping "Selected Plus" on these stones, which made them seem way too must-have.

I can't believe I had something like this all along, and just thought of it as the useless yellow side of my nice razor hone.

Ditto!

I have / have had quite a few cotis, but never a really proper knife-size Les Lat. Would love to find one someday.

I guess I’m about to learn a little something. Scored an older 6” cot/bbw combo on ebay. Maybe it will sharpen this ZDP-189 spyderco that ignores the other stones I’ve tried on it.
I haven't tried my Spyderco ZDP-189 on a coticule (yet), but I had the same frustration sharpening it until I tried a diamond stone, vitrified or resin-bonded. Then it seemed really easy to sharpen. People say that ZDP-189 sharpens fine on the same stones I had trouble with (e.g. Shapton Glass), but I haven't been able to explain that. Maybe it's something different about Spyderco's heat treat.

I was hoping to find a bbw buried in the case, but it's just the filet on this one. Quite pretty, imo, and the slurry quickly turned black when I touched up (the parts that could reach) my just barely hardened opinel on it:

before:
View attachment 288148
after:View attachment 288149I'll just keep my eyes out for a bbw to pair it up with, or another oddball size natural that I think it'll pair nicely with, novaculite or otherwise.

Is that a coti? Is it that colour all the way down?!

[EDIT - Just zoomed in, and it is a coti isn't it. Some kind of weird transition layer between yellow and blue perhaps...? Very cool!]

Is that a coti? Is it that colour all the way down?!

[EDIT - Just zoomed in, and it is a coti isn't it. Some kind of weird transition layer between yellow and blue perhaps...? Very cool!]
'tis, and I believe the color goes through to the back, it was part of a bonded combi originally, so the back (bonded) side is too dark to verify.
I quickly stuck it with wax it on top of this box for now, it'll either get used up like this, or a partner for it will make itself known in some manner, and I'll change it over into a travel stone.

PXL_20231216_155326771.jpg

'tis, and I believe the color goes through to the back, it was part of a bonded combi originally, so the back (bonded) side is too dark to verify.
I quickly stuck it with wax it on top of this box for now, it'll either get used up like this, or a partner for it will make itself known in some manner, and I'll change it over into a travel stone.

View attachment 288599

Oh yeah, that's gorgeous isn't it! Maybe the colour balance was showing funny on my computer for the previous pics, but that's definitely what they call a 'pink coticule'. And a serious find; people love the pink ones cos they're so pretty, and it looks pretty big? 7 or 8 x2?

I only have one small one that has particularly pink colouration and it's very good, as well as being very pretty.

Last edited:

View attachment 288599

This made me laugh too:

just barely hardened opinel

I love Opinels as much as the next person, but yes - the steel is quite incredibly soft!

Oh yeah, that's gorgeous isn't it! Maybe the colour balance was showing funny on my computer for the previous pics, but that's definitely what they call a 'pink coticule'. And a serious find; people love the pink ones cos they're so pretty, and it looks pretty big? 7 or 8 x2?

I only have one small one that has particularly pink colouration and it's very good, as well as being very pretty.
I wish! It's ~ 30mm x 125mm. I can sharpen a 270 gyuto or CCK on this size if I want, but I'm going to guess I'll choose to use it for <200mm knives in practice. It is (near) flat, so it will be a nice change of pace to sharpen on it instead of slowly working out the dishing on some of my other cotis, like a weirdo.

I wish! It's ~ 30mm x 125mm. I can sharpen a 270 gyuto or CCK on this size if I want, but I'm going to guess I'll choose to use it for <200mm knives in practice. It is (near) flat, so it will be a nice change of pace to sharpen on it instead of slowly working out the dishing on some of my other cotis, like a weirdo.

This reminds me of one I harvested from a Torrey Razor Paddle. It is like 30 X 180 X 5. I glued it to a Smith's tri hone base that I liberated the stones from to prevent it from breaking.

PXL_20231219_162233216.jpg

PXL_20231219_162226233.jpg

PXL_20231219_162308087.jpg

I'd need to chamfer the corners on that side of the Smith's block to get the ferrule clearance to where I'd want it, but overall it's the same. I do have a pretty interesting ark from a smith's with non-homogeneous translucency that I thought about joining up with it, but I like novaculites with oil and I like cotis with water, so I think I'd always be missing something with them paired up.

I just spotted this on Griffith shaving goods, checked to see if my coffee contained any hallucinogenics, and thought some might find this as odd as I did.
Apperantly it sold for 200$usd.

Attachments

• IMG_3942_2700x.jpg
    IMG_3942_2700x.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 0
A few more of mine...

View attachment 197303

The nearest stone (not a coticule) is something called a 'Goldfisch Wetzstein' which is a from a layer of La Lorraine.

The one next to it I sold, the coticule was very fine, and probably extremely good for razors.

The third is a strange stone cut with a very thick layer of BBW, and both sides are fast and coarse:

View attachment 197302

The huge stone at the end is almost certainly La Veinette, and it's one of the most extraordinary whetstones I've ever used. It self slurries with ease and is incredibly fast while finishing very fine. The edges on knives are perfection, and the BBW side polishes really beautifully (I think anyway):

View attachment 197300

View attachment 197301

That is an amazing edge! I've never seen a knife cut paper towel so easily! May I ask what your deburring method is and any tips you might have?

Is this a hybrid/hybrid les lat?
View attachment 300512
View attachment 300513

At least that's my best guess. Having no clue at all.
That is a very lovely combo with manganese spots. A prized feature. Those may (or may not) indicate faster speed and finer grit.

May be glued, the way the broken corner reveals the bottom layer. Hard to say.

I can’t say the vein, but Les Lat has a really distinct coffee and cream look. This is a not one.

http://www.tomonagura.com/Natural-Razor-Hones/belgian-coticules/les-latneuses.html

Last edited:
Back