Craziest thing u ever saw.......

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I saw that stuff, looks awesome!

But I don't care that much about blood loss, as long as it isn't daily for months on end.

A chef that I worked for years ago had a guy take the palm of his hand off, from the finger tips to the heel, on the deli slicer... ouch.

A chef that I worked for years ago had a guy take the palm of his hand off, from the finger tips to the heel, on the deli slicer... ouch.

Yikes!! How do you get all the way from the fingertips to the heel of the palm?!? Wouldn't he react when the fingers got cut?
Reminds me of Something About Mary: "How'd he get the beans above the frank?!?"

Thats RAW man...

I have worked FOH and once tried to take a plate away from a group of four that had just finished their appetizers. They had some extra "share" plates while they were splitting the apps. One of the plates looked "clean" and the customer was holding it for me to take from his hand. However, when i went to take it, he wouldnt let go. A quick couple seconds and he let it go.

When I went into the back with the plates I inspected it more closely, to reveal a white powdery substance covering parts of it.

Touched it to my tongue felt a nice tingle, and then rubbed the rest on my gums..... Why would you be doing cocaine AFTER you ate apps, and before your entree comes?

I am not a drug user, but I did dabble in college...

BOH: I worked at a very toney private golf club with a cook that wasn't the brightest. He was packaging some leftover meats after prep when the metal film box began to fall off the prep table. He tried to catch it, the film box cutter severed his right wrist and blood began to spurt all the way up to the ceiling which must have been 12'. The end result was he lost the use of his right hand and, as far as I know, is spending the rest of his life on permanent disability. That's why the first thing they tell you in culinary school is never try to catch a falling object in the kitchen, no matter what it is.

FOH: My very first serving job was at a fantastic Mom and Pop Italian red sauce joint, they had a small menu with everything made from scratch including all pasta. This particular Saturday night, one of my tables consisted of a young family, Mom and Dad and a very quiet boy maybe 8-10 years old. The parents ordered and told me to bring a lasagna for their son. We served lasagna in one of those handled gratin dishes that is extremely hot. When I brought the meals out to the table I served the Mom and Dad first using my right hand, while I was doing so the kid grabbed the gratin dish out of my left hand and pulled it towards himself spilling the hot contents all over (luckily not on his face) and letting out a blood-curdling scream the likes of which I have not heard since. It turns out the son was mentally challenged and the parents had not thought to inform me.

BTW, in the past I was a franchisee/owner of Subway restaurants and some of the actions and behaviour that I witnessed from both customers and staff would fill at least a small memoir for certain.

I was working as a refrigeration mechanic's helper on the walk-in at a national fast food chain in Washington DC about 30 years ago. It was near closing time and one of the kitchen staff was dumping several dozen buns on a large tray and placed it in the middle of the floor in the back of the restaurant. When I asked why, he said they were for the rats. Shaking my head in disbelief, he said that if they didn't feed them buns, the rats would chew through the walls of the walk-in to eat meat instead. It was much cheaper to just let them fill up on buns.

That logic doesn't surprise me .
:yuck::yuck:

I had my first restaurant job at 15 and I was the cook, cashier and pm prep of a little sandwich shop. It was the job of the pm guy to slice all the meat for the next morning. I had never used a deli slicer, but managed to get buy perhaps a little dangerously.

After getting the roast beef sliced up one night I took off the guards of the deli slicer and turned on on the machine and held a wet towel to it to clean the blade. This had always worked well in the past, and it was substantially faster than doing it with the blade off. The moment I touched the towel to the rotating blade the most gorgeous girl, well endowed girl walked in with a VERY low cut shirt.

Being 15, I stared, oogled, slipped and hit my wrist to the spinning deli blade. Blood spurted with every heart beat, which was beating very fast due to the low cut shirt. I tried not to scream and cuss like a girl to no avail.

The girl helped me get to the hospital and was kind enough to lock the doors and put up a closed sign.

I forgot to tell my employer, who opened the doors the next morning to blood spurted everywhere, he must have thought a gruesome murder had transpired. Poor guy.

As for the girl, I must have scarred her off, because she never came back in.

Ahh, to be 15 again. I seldom cut myself anymore, and 15 years later, I still have a fear of deli slicers. But that little deli shop still makes some killer roast beef sandwiches.

As a note to employers, don't let teenagers touch sharp things. I sure don't and I am sure it has saved me many trips to the er.

Yikes!! How do you get all the way from the fingertips to the heel of the palm?!? Wouldn't he react when the fingers got cut?
Reminds me of Something About Mary: "How'd he get the beans above the frank?!?"

he was trying to squeeze the last couple slices of somthing by palming the product, don't remember what, and some one bumped him from behind.

When working my way through college as a closer at a fast food joint, we would hang out in the parking lot after work drinking wine with one of the managers, who would send one of us to the liqueur store across the plaza to pick up a jug of the cheap stuff. The cops would pass through the lot and wave at us (tells you how long ago this was!). One of our co-workers never hung out with us, but would disappear right after the work was done.

One night we were standing around in the lot doing our usual thing when a cruiser pulled up and they had the co-worker sitting in the back. They had pulled him out of the restaurant's dumpster. Turned out he was dumpster diving every night, pulling out burgers that had been tossed out of the bin after too much time had passed. He told us he would take them home every night and eat them with his brother.

We knew after that why he never had a girlfriend . . .

Last edited:
One night we were standing around in the lot doing our usual thing when a cruiser pulled up and they had the co-worker sitting in the back. They had pulled him out of the restaurant's dumpster. Turned out he was dumpster diving every night, pulling out burgers that had been tossed out of the bin after too much time had passed. He told us he would take them home every night and eat them with his brother.

Why in God's name would police arrest a man for eating garbage? That is called Anal Retention--protecting and guarding your own waste. Sounds like that guy needed a raise.

I've been that hungry before, and I've helped people that way--hooking them up by the dumpster with edible food waste in a separate container. It's far more common that most would like to think.

I've been that hungry before, and I've helped people that way--hooking them up by the dumpster with edible food waste in a separate container. It's far more common that most would like to think.

They didn't actually arrest him, though I suppose technically they could have.

You're right about all that food going to waste. This kid wasn't poor by any stretch, that's why it so weird; but it was a shame to see all that tossed out night after night.

You know, it may seem creepy, but I love to check out my favorite restaurants' garbage bins. I noticed one day when I worked a Freebirds that our dumpster smelled like heaven--smelled like rice and bell peppers and beef covered in cumin. Then I walked home and passed an Olive Garden, and the dumpster was full of boxes, and smelled like nothing.

I was doing some prep work before the staff arrived. As usual I had my dog with me. Lo and behold, in comes the health inspector. I **** a brick. He pets the dog and continues the inspection. Never said a word about it.

Very cool! Just so long as he wasn't in the dining room, I guess!

well, I saw this while I was still a trainee in an Italian restaurant.

This particular restaurant had a built in pizza oven that was quite difficult to get going. Usually, we would pour a little canned sterno on the wood and throw in a lighted match. One day, this chef got wayyyy cute and decided to use the whole can of sterno instead. And he did not light it immediately. So when he stuck his head into the oven and struck the match, there was a slight explosion and out came the chef minus all facial hair.. It was hilarious and we went on about it for weeks.. No serious harm done though just some minor burns.

Back