Cris Anderson 24 cm custom XH gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are many who carry who reference perceived wrongdoings long after the fact on KKF. A lot of it directs at ck2g, for instance, as well as some of that businesses's 'friends'. Yet no such bans occur based on those that I am aware of. DaveM is no longer the forum owner here, yet I think some actions are taken to protect him (protection not typically given others). This is not a knock on DaveM, and I did not take sides between the two during that dispute as I consider both of them friends.

Another thing missing from the 'explanation' above is the conflict between daveb and Cris Anderson. Not mentioning this is disingenuous in my opinion.

Well put!

I knew this was gonna be about Marc and Dave again even though everything was edited out.

The mods were right, I think Marc has expressed whatever he felt about Dave in the half dozen threads he brought it up in. There's no need to derail another one. This thread was about Cris' knives and should stay that way. I really don't want to see another passive aggressive pissing contest about something totally unrelated to the original topic.

Another thing missing from the 'explanation' above is the conflict between daveb and Cris Anderson. Not mentioning this is disingenuous in my opinion.

Huh? That's coming from left field. There is no conflict between Cris and I. I think highly of his work and his participation here. I can be disingenuous with the best of them and have even been known to obfuscate a few things, but it's not happening here.

I have seen the ban notice. It does not indicate there is a 'way back in'. It indicates the ban is forever, and that is it.

You've not seen the PM I sent to Marc prior to the banning. That would be the "Private" part. It does indeed offer a way back in. My email is in my profile should he wish to contact me or he can contact Angie through the Admin function.

Unfortunately Marc may not have seen the PM either. He does not get email notifications of PMs (that feature has net been working for him for quite sometime). And now that he is banned he obviously cannot access his PMs. If it is a PM he did not respond to, it is likely he did not know about it. I am happy to provide you with an email address for him if you want to send it to him that way. I do not see your email address on your profile info; I am happy to forward it to him.

"Can't we all just get along?" -Rodney King :)

Let it be known that I'm accepting donations for the legal defense and acquisition of a Cris Anderson/Scorpion Forge gyuto fund. I'll need the legal defense when y'all find out that I used most of the money to buy a CJA/SF gyuto...

I am not a mod here and I exert no power over what ppl can write in this thread. Yet I would appreciate it, as t#he OP, if we could stay more on-topic. I think it is a pity that negative events from the past are brought up again, especially in places where they don't belong.

It would be great for the atmosphere on this site if these old feuds could be settled. If that is not possible, I think it would be good to discuss them elsewhere.

Mark, as far as you know how does the edge hold up compared to other blades?
Aeb-L and W2 are not steels that tickle my fancy.
And i get it the grind is unreal from Lazer to XH, but I'm curious about edge life compared to the masakages/ kato/ carter / teruyasu.
thanks

I am not a mod here and I exert no power over what ppl can write in this thread. Yet I would appreciate it, as t#he OP, if we could stay more on-topic. I think it is a pity that negative events from the past are brought up again, especially in places where they don't belong.

It would be great for the atmosphere on this site if these old feuds could be settled. If that is not possible, I think it would be good to discuss them elsewhere.

I'm on Cris' list so appreciate the review.

And i get it the grind is unreal from Lazer to XH, but I'm curious about edge life compared to the masakages/ kato/ carter / teruyasu.
thanks

Curious as to what steels do tickle you?
I'm somewhat agnostic about steel nowadays, but I do get a bit warm and fuzy over R2, rather like SLD too.

thanks

I used one of Cris' in a pro kitchen for a full month, that was 5 days a week, 10-12 hrs a day, on poly boards. I sold the knife after that, to upgrade to a bigger one. I did not have to sharpen at all, only stropped on hard felt with 3 micron diamond spray daily. The edge just kept on coming back, even though not at OOTB sharpness after a month. His W2 is around 64-65hrc.

Out of all the brands you listed, I had only used a Carter White #2, it did not even compare, IMHO. The Carter would get very sharp but lost it very quickly.

I hope that helped. Same as Kev, I do not really care about steel types, they would all give you different experience, even of the same types. There have been many discussions on this, I would just leave it at that.

Out of all the brands you listed, I had only used a Carter White #2, it did not even compare, IMHO. The Carter would get very sharp but lost it very quickly.

FWIW, I believe the Carter you tried would've been white 1...I don't believe he's used white 2 in knives he's sold. It was blue super prior to that...imo the strength of Carter lies more in the grind than edge retention. That said, the blue super I owned in the past actually did have pretty decent edge retention.

Your description of the Carter does match the reputation of white steel--get very sharp and not last too long.

My bad, it has been a while, it was white #2.

thanks

It's true AEB-L doesn't have the best edge retention (but then we're comparing it to expensive PM steels). But it's stainless and very fine-grained, which is why I like it. And it's tough and has great edge stability. And sharpening is no punishment for me. It sharpens fine, by the way. Cris did his heat treatment well. I haven't used the knife long enough to form a definitive opinion, but the edge retention is at least on par and probably better than most other AEB-L's.

Sorry for all the questions, Im sure somebody else is thinking them as well.
So from my understanding W2 is a super clean that is often used for drill bits
From what i have read there is a lot of variation in W2. Even on zknives the ranges for what is considered W2 is quite large. I guess that is why some makers say its amazing, and some say meh. But its difficult to read makers say it does not keep its edge as long as 52100 and not take that lightly.
I have also read that W2 is a shallow(er) quenching steel, is that something to worry about when it comes to knives?
I guess if chris hardens to 65+ then there is no worries, a easy to sharpen steel at high hardness is my preference atm.
My carter, yea does not hold an edge very long admittedly, 62hrc? - so im guessing the scorpion forge is presumably its similar to my teruyasu white 1 hrc65ish. I am leaning more and more towards one ... hold on wallet for a wild ride.

Sorry to piggyback onto this thread, but many posters own or have recently tried Cris's knives. I just looked through Cris's new newsletter and he has a handful of AEB-L XH gyutos for sale. Anyone who was at the 2016 ECG have a chance to use a newer one and make any comparisons? A 210 would be nice to have laying around for smaller tasks or for the wife's use. I think there was only one XH at the ECG, and I don't remember much in the way of specifics (he sent us 4 to play with; I believe 3 were 'normal' grinds and the XH was experimental/ still in development). Thanks,

Do you have a link for that newsletter?
No, I received it via email. He has a sign-up on his web site, but it doesn't look like he has them archived on the site.

Looking back at my notes from the ECG, I think the XH knife was actually a petty and not a gyuto, which is probably why I could not remember much about the performance.

I was skeptical about 210s for a bit, but Butch's line knives made me rethink. And Del and one or two of the other makers did runs of similar styles. Having a 210 gyuto 'line knife' can be useful for our home use, as my wife telecommutes so she prepares lunch every day, and that usually requires some light cutting tasks and not the knid of prep that we normally pull our 225s or 240s for. A Cris version would have potential to be a go-to, although the XH is an unknown for me.

Little birdie just told me to join the mailing list on his website.

http://eepurl.com/bRlaaD

Re the line knives. I've had most of the local makers interpretations of the line knife. Liked all of them for different reasons, even wrote a review once. My quick and dirty, make a sandwich knife these days is a Haburn 180 petty that runs a little tall. Cris's XH in 210ish would likely do well in that role.

I have a Scorpion Forge XH 235ish in AEB-L. The tip is thin and "laser"-ish, while the back part of the knife is thicker. Not that it's thick, but it has some heft, and cuts well. I like being able to use different parts of the blade to suit the task at hand--feels like having more than one knife. Given the intended grip of his knives, I would say that the last half inch or so at the heel is not designed to be used as much for cutting.
I didn't really discuss the grind with Cris, just let him do his own thing. I'm very pleased with the results, and it's one of my favorite knives. I didn't make a special request on the profile, so it's pretty flat, with a long flat spot in the rear, and just some belly towards the tip. Heel height is ~52mm. It works really well for me.
The handle is very ergonomic, and quite beautiful. Main wood is Honduran Rosewood Burl, along with a sizable musk ox horn spacer, and some black and nickel spacers on either side.
I've been very pleased with the edge retention, and so far have only had to strop to maintain.

Back