Current Top 5 and Top 10 Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My top 4 for the time being, everything else is stored away

1. Kato 240 WH
2. Kato 240 STD
3. Kato 210 WH W1
4. Kono 210 MM

Attachments

• IMG_7815.jpeg
    IMG_7815.jpeg
    843.9 KB · Views: 0
M

Man, I just got a Martell 270 and it’s insane how awesome it cuts. It’s also insane how wide/big the handle is for me. My top 5 are below

1. Martell 270mm
2. Northside Honyaki 240mm gyuto
3. Kawachi 240mm W2
4. Tanaka x Kyuzo Migaki
5. Birgersson 240
Funny how things change over time. I lean more towards workhorses now. Updated list is below

1. Xerxes WH 270
2. Jiro 255
3. Northside Honyaki
4. Kippington WH
5. Konosuke FM 210 & 240

I've done a decent job selling off the ones I don't love so but here is my current top 5

1. Unshu Yukimitsu 230 (I know y'all are tired of hearing me talk about this one, the honeymoon phase is over and I know strengths/weaknesses, it still is a blast to use)

2. Munetoshi 240
Nuff said

3. Kochi V2 240
I was falling out of love with this one but after a sharpening I'm fully back on the train.

4. Kyohei Shindo 220
Old faithful, unique profile that is pleasant to use in all scenarios. Aggressive distal taper and super thin bte.

5. Makoto Ryusei 240
Supposed to be a catch and release to satisfy curiosity, but I am loving it. Really tied with my Tanaka ginsan but I'm using the Ryusei more right now so it gets the nod in this list.

View attachment 244194
Updated list as my tastes fluctuate beefier

1) Mazaki 240 (shirogami 2023)
2) Munetoshi 240
3) Unshu Yukimitsu 230
4) Shindo 220
5) Shigeki Tanaka ginsan 240

I find it interesting that the vast majority of people's favorite gyutos are all from western makers. Is that because they're customs and tuned to the individual's liking or if the these guys are just cranking out S-tier blades on the reg?

Lately I would say it's:

Munetoshi 240 -- have it rehandled, tuned to where I like it, and now keep reaching for it
Moritaka Chuka -- for the power
Masahiro VC 240 -- one of my first knives and just feels like an extension of my hand. When I don't want to have to pay attention to the knife.
Sukenari 165 petty in Hap40 -- does just about everything Oops
JNS Tanaka Blue 1 210 -- for precision
Takamura R2 180

Last edited:
Updated list as my tastes fluctuate beefier

1) Mazaki 240 (shirogami 2023)
2) Munetoshi 240
3) Unshu Yukimitsu 230
4) Shindo 220
5) Shigeki Tanaka ginsan 240

I find it interesting that the vast majority of people's favorite gyutos are all from western makers. Is that because they're customs and tuned to the individual's liking or if the these guys are just cranking out S-tier blades on the reg?
Kochi lost its love officially?

Kochi lost its love officially?
Kochi got sold so I guess so. It's a lovely knife and feels incredible in-hand but was just a little too light for my current tastes. The Maz was it's grim reaper, once I got that I never reached for the Kochi or Yoshikane. Cut similarly but with 40 extra grams of beef

Kochi got sold so I guess so. It's a lovely knife and feels incredible in-hand but was just a little too light for my current tastes. The Maz was it's grim reaper, once I got that I never reached for the Kochi or Yoshikane. Cut similarly but with 40 extra grams of beef
This sounds so familiar. Great knife but I've hit the point where a 240 under ~200g is just too light to get reached for much.

I noticed that some of the knives that received a lot of love on this forum include: Kiyoshi Kato, Shigefusa, OG konosuke, Denka, Yanick, the nine, Devin Thomas, Halcyon forge, Rader, Kippington, and Raquin.

Where do Bill Burke knives rank among these?

Ok, my turn (couldn't do 5 so here are the top 10 by size).

Bigger gyutos:
Heldqvist 270*64 - wrought over 135cr3

Yanick Puig 265*56 - vintage iron over 135cr3

Merion Forge 255*55 full tang - dammy clad over 1.2562

Milan Gravier 250*55 full tang - deep etched twist clad over 135cr3

Yanick Puig 245 Honyaki - 135cr3
1000014420.jpg

Smaller gyutos:
Heldqvist 240*55 fulltang - wrought over TWR

JCC 230*55 western - mono in O1

Kippington WP 225*55 - mono in 52100

Shi.han 220*55 - telegraph wire over W2

The.9nine 210*50 full tang - soft iron over aogami

1000014419.jpg

@DitmasPork tell me about the jiro?

Got the Jiro some years ago from Tosho, back when Jiros wouldn’t sellout instantly.

Fun knife to use—good cutter with a slight convex grind, TBE, it likes being a push-cutter, no big issues with wedging; not the most agile compared to the lighter, smaller gyutos I’ve been favoring, but agile enough; the w1 is more durable, and edge lasts longer than some of my other w1s; been through only 1 significant sharpening, just refreshing the edge since then; I don’t find the knife overly reactive compared to my other iron clad knives.

Aesthetics: good looking kurouchi, which hasn’t worn off much if any; exudes a lot of handmade-ness.

Type/characteristics: I’d throw the Jiro into my 240 workhorse camp, grabbing it when I feel like a bit of cutting authority.

Ok, my turn (couldn't do 5 so here are the top 10 by size).

Bigger gyutos:
Heldqvist 270*64 - wrought over 135cr3

Yanick Puig 265*56 - vintage iron over 135cr3

Milan Gravier 250*55 full tang - deep etched twist clad over 135cr3

Yanick Puig 245 Honyaki - 135cr3
View attachment 313324

Smaller gyutos:
Heldqvist 240*55 fulltang - wrought over TWR

JCC 230*55 western - mono in O1

Kippington WP 225*55 - mono in 52100

Shi.han 220*55 - telegraph wire over W2

The.9nine 210*50 full tang - soft iron over aogami

View attachment 313325

Who is JCC?

Always funny to see that Merion. Was supposed to be my Custom, Chechen wood was sent by me. Was a bit longer than I wanted but the problem was the just a tiny bit too flat profile. Also the handle was an experiment and fits my hand well but quite some who tried it, it didn't fit at all.

Always funny to see that Merion. Was supposed to be my Custom, Chechen wood was sent by me. Was a bit longer than I wanted but the problem was the just a tiny bit too flat profile. Also the handle was an experiment and fits my hand well but quite some who tried it, it didn't fit at all.
Oh, interesting! Yes it was re-profiled after the german PA. Must say I'm very happy with it now!

I had a Global GF33 that I gave to my brother
I gave my parents a Global G2 but they were so afraid of using knives they kept it away...I gave it to someone I was dating at the time.
Misono 8.3 inch Molybdenum - gave it to my roommate because she was using some crap Cuisinart blade. Also so she'd leave my knives alone.

Tadafusa HK4 that I actually really love despite it being a cheapie. I have a nice saya for it and I bring it with me when I have to prep food at other people's houses. (I dont trust anyone to have usable knives).

My TF Denka 180mm Gyuto that I bought when I had a hefty pay bump and wanted to get myself something special. It's UGLY AF but boy does it handle like a dream.

I'm afraid I don't have that many Gyuto but I do have some other styles of knives. I'm honestly done with Japanese knives and am looking to try out artisanal blades from various countries.

I knew this young woman …

since then I have always prioritized function over structure. She wernt purdy but she rocked my world.
Have you ever seen a Denka no Hoto in the flesh? You're talking big money for a knife that LOOKS like a student's first or second attempt. Of course it is by far the sharpest knife in my kit, and handles the most beautifully but crooked pins, grind marks, and horrifically rustic finishing.

I put it side by side against a Masakage Zero but when i closed my eyes, the Zero felt...like a Zero. Sorry Takeshi Saji but those lovely pins and finishing doesn't help me cut better.

Latest posts

Back