Customers with the worst knives - Museum of Horrors

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were they trying to sharpen it with a dremel?
Those damn facebook video sharpening hacks claimed another victim.
I can't believe it haha. Damn, that's next level stuff here. The question is : did you managed to make something with this?!
Unfortunately didn't get the chance to work on this one so no follow up pics!

Here's the result of my rework on the knife from my friend. Reprofiled the blade to fix the long flat spot, thinned behind the edge, a quick cleanup of the scratches, and a new burnt oak handle to replace the original plastic ferrule ho one. Hopefully it will continue to get good use for years to come.

View attachment 271697
Sooo... This came back to me again. And the person managed to bring it all the way back to the previous condition. Looks like some self sharpening on something super aggressive cuz the profile is jacked again, the handle looks utterly destroyed, and managed to even loosen the glue which usually takes me ages to remove myself.

PXL_20240419_193251961.jpg
PXL_20240419_193315318.jpg
PXL_20240419_193321937.jpg

Sooo... This came back to me again. And the person managed to bring it all the way back to the previous condition. Looks like some self sharpening on something super aggressive cuz the profile is jacked again, the handle looks utterly destroyed, and managed to even loosen the glue which usually takes me ages to remove myself.

View attachment 316257View attachment 316258View attachment 316259
One of those cases where “Before” condition is the old “After”. Lol

Some people refuse to educate themselves, no matter how hard you try. I have one at home and you restored her knife. Don’t be surprised if I send it back to you in this same condition again! 🤣

Last edited:
"Got it @jedy617!
I'll carefully cut on my brand new titanium cutting board. I'll also make sure to wash it off...(while conveniently leaving out the drying part)"
When I picked it up, it was under a pile of like 20 fibrox in a large bin. She made it seem like it was going to be more of her personal knife for awhile.

But yeah what are you gonna do, those titanium cutting boards sure are popular these days

When I picked it up, it was under a pile of like 20 fibrox in a large bin. She made it seem like it was going to be more of her personal knife for awhile.

But yeah what are you gonna do, those titanium cutting boards sure are popular these days
I would never lend that person anything ever again.

Something I have learned, and too-frequently need to learn anew, is that nobody cares about my stuff - and nobody cares about other people's stuff - like I do.

I am a particular ************.
I'm was very slowly, very cautiously, starting to trust the crew at my main gig. No real knerds there and too many pull-thru sharpeners, but idk there's a certain culture of knife respect I've never seen in other kitchens.

Then one of the line cooks opened a #10 of marinara, dropped the top inside, and immediately reached for my suji to fish it out 😂

Aaaaaand the trust was gone before it even really began.

Not as bad as most on here, but lent my pie to a family member who owns a catering business, promised to be very careful with it. Just got it back lol

View attachment 318174
View attachment 318173
View attachment 318175

I'm was very slowly, very cautiously, starting to trust the crew at my main gig. No real knerds there and too many pull-thru sharpeners, but idk there's a certain culture of knife respect I've never seen in other kitchens.

Then one of the line cooks opened a #10 of marinara, dropped the top inside, and immediately reached for my suji to fish it out 😂

Aaaaaand the trust was gone before it even really began.
And that's why I lend this out to "competent" people.
PXL_20240429_015320114.jpg

I'd also be hesitant to lend out even my vic to most friends.

I don't offer it to my wife either but she uses it regardless.

Last edited:
I'd also be hesitant to lend out even my vic to most friends.

I don't offer it to my wife either but she uses it regardless.
Funny you say that as I have taught my GF well with her knives, she will never touch mine because she is scared of them and because she knows how much they cost. But for the most part she has been super good to her knife, one day she brought it up to her mom's who lives above us in the house and well let's just say she ruined the thing in 20 min, it was duller than full, she was cutting things in a stainless pan.

Then she wonders why her knives up there are always full, partly because she has a bunch of junk but moreso that she has no clue about handling knives no matter how much I preach.

I still don't get people's love of a dishwasher for their knives like it literally takes 20 seconds to run it under water and then wipe it off.

@jedy617 Is there a crack?? You're a better man than me because family or not I would have let this person have it.

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 11.23.22 AM.png

View attachment 316257View attachment 316258View attachment 316259
Only addressed the more glaring issues this time around. Fixed up the handle, reattached with gflex epoxy, and light thinning and sharpening of the thickened edge. Didn't refinish the blade again since it's probably going to get wrecked after the first use.
PXL_20240422_235757848.jpg
PXL_20240422_235659363.jpg

Probably the only way to get someone to use a Pie cutlery knife
Which is a crying shame. It's super thin, cuts better than any japanese laser I've used, and the steel feels super nice. It is my default brisket trimming knife. I default to other stuff because I'm weird and care about cladding and like some heft, but it's good. I use it. What does that say about me?

Back