Cyber Monday

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I was leaving, I saw that someone Washington bought one of the new Maumasi knives (which are quickly becoming among my favorites). Was that you? If so, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

-daniel

:D

Right now my thoughts are "dayum, I've got to make some room in the knife drawer and put some things up on BST to pay for that puppy!"

3 knives I might not have bought but the sale was too irresistible....great stuff at midnight and 4am. I'm cutting myself off but I saved around 45% over all!! The knives...1. Fujiwara Denka no hoto 180 santoku 2. Bob Kramer/henckles 10" carbon (for my cousin's first serious knife) 3. Hinoura half-twist suminigashi petty. Really looking forward to the Hinoura and I know the Fujiwara pretty well - great edge holding, light, and I think my wife will find this one comfortable as well. Thanks to all at EE. You guys are great!

nice was wondering if someone here bought the hinoura

Just when I thought I was out - I had to buy one more... It was so cute and cheap. Tojinbo damascus 3" petty. But I am really done now.

put me first in line on the hinoura if you ever wanna sell it :)

Did you see the 210 Hinoura up now? Sooooo tempting...

nice was wondering if someone here bought the hinoura

Yea, I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that one. Gotta admit though, that was one kick-ass sale. To Dan and Drew and the rest of the crew at EE...:doublethumbsup::doublethumbsup:

Be well and good night,
Mikey

put me first in line on the hinoura if you ever wanna sell it :)

I'll keep you in mind but I have a feeling this one is a keeper. I have been checking out those Hinouras for a while (my kind of knife and maker) but could not quite bring myself pull the trigger. Actually I did not even expect to see that knife in the sale, and when I did, I was taken aback. The sale price really pushed me over the edge - and I can see now that I was not a minute too soon. I'm feeling pretty lucky. Thanks again to EE for some serious christmas spirit (you devils you) and good night. I have a lot of sleep to catch up on.

Picked up my first serious nakiri - a 165mm Fujiwara Denka No Hoto. It was one of five different nakiris I was already considering and when it popped up at almost half price I had to pull the trigger. I am so looking forward to trying it out.

@!@#!@#!!!!!! In theory the PO tried to deliver my knife today. I was home all day, and working at my computer when they claimed to make the delivery, and heard a rustle on the front porch. No knock, no ringing of the doorbell. Could have been the wind blowing the Christmas wreath against the door. Sat for a few seconds wondering about the noise, then walked the 16 steps to the front door (I counted), looked out, and didn't see anything. No notice on the door, no package on the stoop, figured it was the wind. Checked the status later and saw "attempted delivery, notice left on door." NO freaking notice on the door. In a panic that either (a) they left the notice at the wrong house (where knowing my neighbors, they would accept delivery and keep it) or (b) the notice blew away or someone snagged it off the front door, I tried calling the PO (800) number. 3 times. And got "this call cannot be completed". 3 times. As a last resort walked out to the community mailbox 1/2 block away and found the notice inside. GRRRRRRRrrrRRRRRRR!!!!!! No wonder they're going under!

So now I get to go out to the post office tomorrow in freezing temperatures to pick up the knife. I don't think I'll trust them to redeliver. Cranky cranky Lucretia.

hehe the lady just walks up to my door and puts the slip in my mailbox nowadays. She doesn't even attempt to deliver anything, I think next time I will greet her at the door and ask for the package, talk about first world problems eh! But back to EE's awesome cyber monday I may have splurged on some Laguiole steak knives, I've wanted a set of these for some time. :hungry:

You know it's going to be one of those umbrella thjings. If you go to the PO, it will be on the truck. If you wait for the truck, it will be at the PO... I better turn off rant before it starts.

I just got up this morning and my package from EE was on the steps, HUH! I am in Canada, I placed my order monday after midnight est, so just at the end of the sale, and have my package on Wednesday morning, wow, fastest package shipped from the states through customs ever. Thanks to the folks at EE for the awesome deal, enjoying my Fontenille Pataud Laguiole steak knives, they are beautiful.

Holy carp. If this knife cuts anything close to what it looks like and how it feels in the hand, I may have a new favorite maker. This might just be the most beautiful knife I've ever seen. Now I'll have to try it out on some poor defenseless produce.

And Dave, you were right. While I was at the PO picking it up I missed delivery of another package requiring a signature. Joys of the season. Bah humbug.

My knives just arrived as well, and upon first look I am very pleased with the fit and finish. The Hinoura is more beautiful in person than the EE photos - in fact all the knives exceed my expectations (and they were high expectations). The little 3" Tojinbo petty fits in my hand perfectly for close paring/peeling - just like I was hoping it would. Even the Fujiwara is way better looking and feeling than I remember from past experiences. Looking forward to sharpening them and seeing how they really cut. Thanks again to EE for a great sale and fast shipping, and on Monday no less, when they are usually closed!

Though the forum discount doesn't apply to sale items, go ahead and include your forum name in the comments area so that we'll know your one of the gang coming from here.

Being pretty new to the KKF I did not know about the EE discount. Would anyone care to elaborate on the discount and let me know if there are other benefits of being a member of this forum besides the great knife camaraderie and info? Thanks and please.

The first part of the last post is an earlier quote from Daniel of EE but I screwed up the attribution part somehow trying to edit it to the relevant sentence. In case my follow up question did not make sense.

I would love to see some pics when you get a chance.
Holy carp. If this knife cuts anything close to what it looks like and how it feels in the hand, I may have a new favorite maker. This might just be the most beautiful knife I've ever seen. Now I'll have to try it out on some poor defenseless produce.

And Dave, you were right. While I was at the PO picking it up I missed delivery of another package requiring a signature. Joys of the season. Bah humbug.

Photo from EE:

91977_1_b.jpg

So that's the one you got. WOW - that is a sweet knife! he really seems to have come up with a knife that is a synthesis of all his influences and collaborators but that still feels unique. It is not easy to work with a master for years and then manage to find your own voice. Congrats. I hope you will post more of your impressions as you get to know this knife. I think one of these will be my next knife purchase.

@Lucretia - I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Mareko Maumasi. I am really excited that he is finding a voice in creating new knives ... He really has done a fantastic job both bringing in the lessons he has learned, but also creating something that uniquely speaks for him! The handle is amazing! And I love that angled integral bolster for a pinch grip. It turns it he makes a pretty good cutter too! :)
-daniel

My knives just arrived as well, and upon first look I am very pleased with the fit and finish. The Hinoura is more beautiful in person than the EE photos - in fact all the knives exceed my expectations (and they were high expectations). The little 3" Tojinbo petty fits in my hand perfectly for close paring/peeling - just like I was hoping it would. Even the Fujiwara is way better looking and feeling than I remember from past experiences. Looking forward to sharpening them and seeing how they really cut. Thanks again to EE for a great sale and fast shipping, and on Monday no less, when they are usually closed!
The Hinouras were a real highlight of the sale for me. He is much better known in Europe than in the US. We priced them at a loss for the sale hoping them to get into some good hands. I'm pleased some of the folks at the forum got them. I'm really eager to hear what folks think. If you've got a chance to write a review of them on the site, that would help a lot for people to get to know his work.

-daniel

Daniel,

Check under "Reviews". I LIKE this knife!

I actually had a Hinoura parer in my cart and took it out again...felt a little guilty after the Maumasi purchase. Besides, Hubby seems to be giving my knives the evil eye then going off to do some guitar & amp shopping...:scared4:

Daniel,

Check under "Reviews". I LIKE this knife!

Lucretia I really enjoy mine too. I'll have to go take a look at your review to see your thoughts on it :)

Picture courtesy of EE:
91894_1_b.jpg

I picked up this knife from you Daniel a couple of months ago and it's easily my new favourite.

I managed to snag a Hinoura during the sale, it's on its way to me right now! If I get a chance I'll try to submit a quick review on EE.

- Steve

I will definitely put in a review of my Hinoura petty after I have had a chance to get to know it (and after I have 50 post and can add photos).

Back