Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking design. Let me know if the package of goodies made it to ya yet. :) I added a few extra pieces of damascus, and Im thinking you may want to use some of it for a butt cap. and, or even in place of the Koa. Whatever you do this one is gona be a winner!

Hand sanded to 600 grit and going out to attach a tang and get this baby etched! Hopefully the handle materials will be here tomorrow! If they are, i suspect by the weekend, we might see this thing finished! I still need to get a stock of stones....I can only go to 1000 and a buff...still pops hair, but NOTHING like what i watched Salty do....scary!
2011-10-14_14-30-06_442.jpg

Also i will do some measurements before i etch it...I have a few spots i want to clean up first....

Got it etched! Sanded after with 2000 grit...The chatoyance in this blade is incredible!
P1030643.jpg

P1030641.jpg

Looks great, love the heel shape and nice natural pattern. A forged ladder pattern? or did you cut the fullers?

Forged ladder/random. I don't exactly remember but i do believe 378 layers? Thanks :D

WOOHOO! Handle materials finally arrived! Time to get rockin on this bad boy!
2011-10-17_16-16-51_222-1.jpg

2011-10-17_16-19-02_944.jpg

2011-10-17_16-15-49_815.jpg

:D:eek2::razz::pirate1:

Ok changing this a bit.Was going to use damascus for the spine, The pieces i got were about 3/4 of an inch short, so i am back to some wicked ass Koa. I am also thinking about using Koa for the ferrule and buttcap. Still going to use damascus for the spacers and the copper....But i am thinking of Koa...Just would flow better than Blackwood i think...What do you guys think? Here is the Koa
2011-10-17_22-10-00_154.jpg

And a better shot of the Musk Ox horn
2011-10-17_16-19-08_466.jpg

Any thoughts?

Mike, Im sending out a larger piece of damascus for you to use on the handle spine. Should be there by the end of the week. Barring postal delays. lol :)

Seeings how you asked. I would stay with the black wood and use the damascus for the spine and spacers. The Koa and the horn are to similar in color and may not give enough contrast or definition to the amazing handle you designed. :2cents: Im sure that whatever you go with it will be great.

God Bless
Randy

Randy, Have i ever told you that you are the man!!! If not...well :p I really would love to use the damascus, but the pieces were not big enough. I am stoked! I really cannot wait to finish this one!

I think Randy raises a good point in using a darker wood than koa to contrast the musk ox horn. Plus the blackwood isn't as figured, so between the damascus, horn, and wood, it would prevent the knife from being too "busy" looking.

Yeah, we talked about it on the phone after i posted that. Going back to the blackwood lol....I am so confused!!!! LOL!

All i know is this thing is gonna be a stunner when you finally decide what the handle is gonna be:lol2: But i agree if you go with blackwood musk ox and damascus it will look exceptional!

Thanks Randy Jr.! Without you, this wouldn't have happened!

I fit were up to me all handles would be ebony with a shiny spcer.

Dark yes, ebony....no. I do a have a wa sized piece of ebony though Salty...

WOOHOO!Damascus showed up for the handle today :) I will be doing some layout work before i head to work...Hopefully i will have some good progress shots tonight :)

WOW, That was fast! Go figure??? the first package, sent PRIORITY MAIL took 5 days. This package sent 1st class was only 2 days. Crazy!!!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with on the handle.

Ok, finally got the horn cut....Man does this stuff ever STINK! Got almost all the pieces rough cut to shape. This is fun stuff! I can see a LOT of hidden pins in my near future...
2011-10-22_00-07-42_554.jpg

Got the damascus dirty etched to see how it would look with the copper and horn...Will be cool when it is final etched!
2011-10-22_00-34-33_807.jpg

Awesome Mike!! That material is amazing stuff!! How did you manage to talk me out of that again??? LMAO! I cant wait to see this, I may even have to drive down to really get a look at it.. Because no matter how good this material looks in a photo. Its at least 10X better in hand!

Good luck on the progress. keep us posted!

Ok, I have been slow going due to having the flu for the last week or so.....But last night i manned up and spent a little while out in the shop. All the pieces are cut(Farther than they are here in the pic) and the rear bolster assembly is glued up(blackwood/copper/damascus/copper) The frame has a tab that interlocks with the rear bolster, locking the assembly together, also includes a total of ten hidden pins per side(6 per scale and 2 running length wise into each bolster)
Here is a mock up, finishing and hopefully profiling today
2011-10-24_01-23-33_445.jpg

That is one bada$$ pimp of a handle.I love it......If I known that horn was for sale I would have grabbed it friday night when Randy showed it to me:slaphead:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I am actually working on it as i type...It is a damn slow process to do this without ruining everything...I figure if i take it slow...everything will be perfect :)

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I am actually working on it as i type...It is a damn slow process to do this without ruining everything...I figure if i take it slow...everything will be perfect :)

Good decision, it would be a crime to waste those handle materials... especially the horn.

Back