Damascus Carving Set WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all, handles are only rough shaped at the moment. I would have finished them today but yesterday I must have forgotten to put any hardener to glue on the copper bits.:cheffry:

These are finished. I'm really pleased with the way the tapered diamond shape handles turned out. The Fork handle is wider than it is tall, which feels nice with a side grip on the fork, the knife is narrower than it is tall which feels really nice. Hope you like.:biggrin:
IMGP2494.jpg

IMGP2495.jpg

IMGP2496.jpg

IMGP2508.jpg

IMGP2514.jpg

IMGP2477.jpg

IMGP2517.jpg

IMGP2519.jpg

IMGP2522.jpg

IMGP2523.jpg

IMGP2524.jpg

IMGP2538.jpg

There has been some impressive things posted today. This takes the cake.

I am so stunned I'm logging off.

Thanks John, I'm not sure where their moving, I'll find out, it will be near a naval base somewhere. Hopefully I'll get some shots of them in the box Tom is having made for them and if the box is nice hopefully have a future contact there for work like this.
Here are some handle shots. I'm very pleased with these and certainly look to giving this option on work in the future. They take a bit longer I would have to work out some pricing.
IMGP2511.jpg

IMGP2505.jpg

IMGP2491.jpg

IMGP2486.jpg

IMGP2485.jpg

Thanks Judd, the more I look at that copper the more it looks like brass. Its an odd bar I grabbed at the scrap yard. I think it is brass but like 80% copper, which is unusual. It should look really nice after a few months when it dulls and gets a bit more bronzy looking.

I am so stunned I'm logging off.

:laugh:

Heirlooms to be Will. Beautiful work.

P.S. I guess I need to get one of the resident handle makers here to make me something with a red spacer, as they always jump out at me. Can you tell me what the red spacer material here is? Looks great.

Thanks Johnny, its a red hard fiber material designed for knife handles. I thinks its called fiberous sheet, or something like that.:biggrin:

Or maybe I just need to order a knife from you and ask you to incorporate a red spacer into the handle. ;)

Bravo again Will.

Thanks Judd, the more I look at that copper the more it looks like brass. Its an odd bar I grabbed at the scrap yard. I think it is brass but like 80% copper, which is unusual. It should look really nice after a few months when it dulls and gets a bit more bronzy looking.

I hope you're thinking the same thing I'm thinking...

will..

Looks like new contours/ shape on the handle?

rgds

d

I think you just need to order a giant red spacer :rofl2:

I told you! I can't see one without commenting on it. :O

I have a couple of knives with Marko right now; may need to talk with him about my obsession with red spacers and see if he will indulge me on one of them.

I don't think i can add anything to what's allready been said about this set, apart from the fact that it's one hell of a carving set.

I'm just glad i commisioned one while i can still afford to. In fact i think my next purchace will be a Catcheside suji to compliment my gyuto. This is going to be my only chance of getting my hand's on custom knives of this quality before Will realises he should be charging double for work of this quality.

Expect an email about another commision pretty soon Will.

Looks good Will.

I have a couple of knives with Marko right now; may need to talk with him about my obsession with red spacers and see if he will indulge me on one of them.

Ha! Good luck, red spacers aren't really Marko's thing...

Ha ha thanks Guys. To me the handle feel a little more comfortable than standard octagonal. The taper allows more comfortable pinch grip and the swells and narrows in the right places seem to make it more comfortable and stable to hold for my hand with my hand less cramped. This was a good one to test it out on as they won't be using them for 10 hour shifts:D I guess I need to let some of you test one out for extended periods of use in the future.:groucho:

Thanks Dave, looks like the handles worked out. I had a bbq/party on Saturday and Tom came to pick up the work and have a burger. He was very pleased and says he can't believe he has to give them away.:D

I like the way you made the handles alike each other, but not the same.

Back