DARTO carbon steel pan review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodle

Reaction score
Hi. This is a review of a carbon steel frying pan from DARTO I bought a few months ago. There are other reviews of this pan online, so I will keep this short—just thought I’d share b/c it pops up from time to time that people here are in the market for such a pan, and these seem to be a little less known. This is my first carbon steel pan. I have plenty of cast iron, but weirdly, nothing in the 10-inch range, so this was also an attempt to see if it could fill that gap. They’ve got a lot of sizes, but this is their n. 25 which is shy of 10 inches, but close enough.

The company is from Argentina and I bought it directly from them online. No issues whatsoever. They seem to have sales/specials pretty frequently, and mine came with free shipping and no tax. It arrived quickly via DHL, well packaged, and with a thick layer of oil/protectant. First thing I noticed: It’s awfully small !!

IMG_1561 copy.jpg

Just kidding. They also sent me a free keychain mini pan. (Cute, but not practical)

My first thought: this is a heavy pan. I hadn’t looked at the weight before buying, so it was a bit of a surprise—but it’s a good fill in for cast iron—and that’s a plus for me, maybe not for someone else. It’s 1827g with 3.5mm thick walls (listed as 3mm, but mine is definitely thicker) 38mm deep inside, and has a fairly perpendicular, not super sloped sides, so has a wide surface area compared to some other CS pans I’ve seen. I scrubbed off the protective coating and heated the entire thing over my gas burner until the color changed. Seasoned it with a couple thin coats of oil in the oven. Looked beautiful.

Fried some eggs with it. Practically non-stick. And it stayed that way until I cooked some artichokes. No one ever told me artichokes must have a lot of acid or something in them, because it wrecked the look of the pan, and may have stripped off some of the seasoning. Not really sure, but I re-seasoned it. Doesn’t look quite as pristine, but works just as well, which is fine because I don’t like to baby my equipment anyway, and I love the look of a lived-in pan too. I’ve cooked a lot of stuff in there at this point: steaks, veggies, small roasts, and I have no complaints. It is all business but still comfy, with a seamless, non-riveted, pretty long handle that stays fairly cool unless it goes in the oven. Seems super durable. Bonus: you could also use it to effectively clunk the head of a burglar as in old cartoons on TV.

Anyway, that’s it. Love the pan (the last picture is how it looks today). I’d consider it if you’re looking for a carbon steel pan, especially if you want a thicker/heavier option.

Attachments

• IMG_1422 copy.jpg
    IMG_1422 copy.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1567 copy.jpg
    IMG_1567 copy.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1583 copy.jpg
    IMG_1583 copy.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2270 copy.jpg
    IMG_2270 copy.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
I think Darto's are the sleeper of the carbon steel pan world. I love mine, and my DeBuyer and Mauvial were given away after I got the Darto's. They are pretty much indestructible, and with use have become nicely seasoned and are as non stick as my old Griswold cast iron. Two thumbs up.

Heard great things about them, been wavering between the aus/us-ion pans and darto for a bit.

When darto announced the no30 sauté I decided to jump on the presale, it’s about 3/4 lb lighter than a lodge cast iron of the same size, but steel has better thermal properties than iron. I’ll have to sit down and crunch the number but I suspect it should perform pretty similarly due to the better thermal properties of steel and how thick it is compared to normal carbon steel. Now if only they’d release a 9” equivalent in the higher thickness I could replace my lodge with a pan I don’t need to worry about cracking if it slips 😅

I have all of their first design of pans and the No 34 paella. Good stuff. Here's some frying chicken and searing endive.

I want one of the new No. 30 sautes real bad. A paella version would be nice too. And the keychain should be magnetized... it'd be cool on the side of a fridge!

Darto is the way for CS! Eternal with the one piece design, no rivets to get loose. Space saver with more floor for given lip diameter. Great rustic look.

I have the sautes 15,20,25 and waiting for the presale delivery of the n.30 4mm. Also the n.35 paella gets use all the time in the oven, sadly it's too big for my cooktop.

Only negative thing is the rather straight wall is not so great for omelettes and crepes, but it still works for them also.

The keychain pans belong on the fridge indeed :)

IMG20220426153926.jpg

How does Darto compare to deBuyer?
Assuming mineral B, B pro or carbone plus lines from debuyer, the differences are essentially.:

Dartos one piece design with a flat handle vs Debuyers riveted with a selection of handles and their characteristics.

Darto is thicker per spec in the smaller sizes as debuyer is specced at 2,5mm in 24cm and smaller. Otherwise both are "3mm".

The current Darto "sautes" have notably more floor space for a similar pan size. That makes the debuyer more spatula friendly to get under the ingredients with the more splayed sides though.

My Darto n.25 is more of a 24+ when I measure the internal wall diameter. They advertise 21cm as the floor diameter for it and it's about right for the flat, in the curve a bit more. In their catalog, Debuyer advertises 17,5 cm bottoms for their 24 cm and 20-21 cm bottoms for their 28cm b, b Pro and carbone plus pans.

Darto sautes are not very lid friendly due the handle.

Last edited:
Some of my OG Dartos.

IMG_4915.JPG

The OG No. 34 paella. I love that thing.

IMG_7045.JPG

The bottom:
IMG_0676.JPG

All stacked up with a craptastic Matfer pan that I bought because Darto refused to make anything bigger than their No. 27 for years and years. I got rid of that Matfer years ago. I'll probably get the 4mm No 31 for the preorder because it's only $60 and I asked them to make it for so long.

IMG_7081.JPG

This is the old press where these pans were stamped.

darto press.jpg

My 30cm extra thick pan arrived this morning...it's a beast. About as thick as cast iron. Seasoning it up right now, and will put it to use as soon as I can. I love the Darto pans.

I got the n30 a few weeks back too. Man, with 4mm thickness it's almost as heavy as my cast iron pan :D. I also have the n20 and they are great. I just wish they round the corners of the handle.
AUS/US-ION pan seem very nice but the price is double the Dartos. The Aus-ION deep pan looks very interesting but i already have cast iron dutch ovens for things i need it for.

You can get more than one pan, but you can't get more than one of any pan.

Congrats on the 35 paella! You're going to love it.

Yeah a while ago I did the measurements on my ovens and the result was that 35 cm is the max I can fit in both my ovens (due to the depth). What I like about these is the handles don't really stick out to the sides, unlike a lot of other models. Should make for a great oven potato pan. Can double as a giant-bird on the stove pan. :)

Didn't really want to risk adding any other pans to the order in fears of it getting removed later on. And I don't really need more frying pans... No really I don't. Not even if they have a slightly thicker model. That doesn't have rivets. Nu-uh...

I could not resist either as I ordered the 35 paella pan 4 mm thick. It looks fun.

They're fine. Carbon steel and cast iron are terrible performers on induction because they're poor conductors. But Dartos work as well as any others.

They're fine. Carbon steel and cast iron are terrible performers on induction because they're poor conductors. But Dartos work as well as any others.
thanks, I know carbon is not the greatest conductor but i was more interested in warping...my larger De Buyer has a bit of a bulge in the center.

After having one pan warp slightly, I adopted a protocol of gentle and slow heating and haven't had any problems. But the fact that you must take special care with carbon pans (and that larger pans will still be prone to hot spots) makes me not use them on induction very often. They're much better on gas or resistance electric stovetops.

Back