D. Martell Dave's Sharpening Class

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any potential dates? I'm in unless I have to be out of town....

I'm in for either.

I need some advanced notice on the date though. I have a tough time getting off.

i'm in the dc area and i'm interested too. but i'm not clear on cost. are you saying $350 per person, or $350 for the group divided by however many people there are?

For VA we are looking to get 8 students. The cost is $350 (ea) if we get the target 8 student attendance.

I'm sorry for the cost being so high, and yes I do realize this is VERY expensive, but my losses to attend would be great if I didn't charge as much.

I can offer the same class here in PA for up to 7 students for $150 (ea) though this requires the students to travel here.

I think it's safe to say the local class is not going to have enough interest.

How many are interested in the all day class up at Dave's? Dave's usual class size is 7 which makes it $150 per person. It would be an 8 hr. class. The class cost is $1050 so everyone can do the math to see if is cost effective for themselves if say only 5 signed up.

As you chime in maybe you could add the min class size you would be interested in.

Bill/ Dave -- sorry to back down from the DC area event. I fully understand the economics, but that $ would be better for me to put towards a one-to-one session a little ways down the road.

I know that this was mentioned a while ago. However, I am also all for a west coast class. Maybe john would be a part of this. Anyway, just a thought.

Bill/ Dave -- sorry to back down from the DC area event. I fully understand the economics, but that $ would be better for me to put towards a one-to-one session a little ways down the road.

Just to be clear, I don't want anyone to believe that I(and I think Dave would agree), think that anybody has "backed out". I feel that until the cost is known all one can do is express an interest. If we had gotten to the point that the cost was known and people had agreed on a date and then someone said nope, maybe then. That sais I appreciate you explanation and agree with it. That is why I was offering the food and drinks to also make it like an ECG.

I think this as shown that we have enough forum members who are pretty passionate/obsessive about their knives and cooking in the DC metro area that we need to start thinking about an ECG this spring:idea2:

I'm still here. Keep me posted if we decide on a date.

I sound like a broken record but I am all for a PA class. If we can reach the 7 required students its $150 per student.

Dave, correct me if I am wrong

You've got it right Andrew. Hopefully we can work something out.

Yup lets start some dates. Then see who can join in. We'll keep the date set if we have the required number. I think I'm 2.5hrs away. I have a honda pilot in case others want to car pool. I'm in gaithersburg, md by exit 10 on 270

So how soon would you guys like to do this? It's kind of freezing ass cold here in the shop right now but I'm game anytime.

Work sucks right now so I am up for sooner rather than later, maybe first week of March.

Dave, you don't have any source of heat in your shop?:eek2: I would think a wood stove would be a minimum.

Work sucks right now so I am up for sooner rather than later, maybe first week of March.

Dave, you don't have any source of heat in your shop?:eek2: I would think a wood stove would be a minimum.

I have an oil burning (oil sucking) furnace in the shop that is so-so at keeping this space at 55deg. on really cold days. I have no hot water out in the shop so that doesn't help the hands. I'd go with a wood stove in a split second if I could but I'm a renter who doesn't have the option.

I believe that I could do the first week in March though. What do you other guys think about this?

If you need an extra person let me know I would take the trip again to have some fun. Don't know when hudson valley restaurant week starts but I can check

OK I'm thinking that the end of March might be better than early since we have more snow than parking area at the moment plus I could use some time to do some work before then.

So the question would be (as always) what day of the week works best for people?

I prefer a weekend so I don't have to take a day off, however the weekends don't work for chefs or most restaurant employees. I will go for whatever fills a class.

Bummer. I'm going out of town that weekend. I'm sure that everyone that goes will have a great time and learn lots.

Trying to get off work that weekend. Hopefully they let me switch my off days!

Back