Dead Squirrel Opinion

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find a supplier of squirrel meat online except this guy in Texas who cans them. That sounds rather nasty.

But it appears as if in the UK squirrel has been on the menu for a decade or so.

k.

squirrelpastieswns_450x450.jpg

Well we had a first frost, a first snow and now it's time to sight my .22 pellet rifle in and harvest some grey squirrels that have fattened up on pine nuts and black walnuts. They do taste good and are an easy take right off the back porch.

Side story. I had an uncle who was obsessed with exporting squirrels from Minnesota to some treeless barren, space near Dickinson, North Dakota. Poor squirrels.

I actually pitched the story to This American Life and they were interested, and I put them in touch with the family, but then he died suddenly of cancer. To this day, I shake my head when I think of him. He would trap squirrels in MN and at every opportunity transport them to North Dakota. He would sometimes use funerals as rendezvous points and without warning ask his daughter to transfer onward a cage full of squirrels back to NoDak for release.

I still don't know what the point was.

k.

City squirrels, for the most part, are nasty. They eat trash and carrion, whatever they can get.

Country squirrels, for the most part, are wonderful. They eat seeds, nuts and the occasional bug. If you SEE parasites, inside or out, toss it. If it looks healthy and lively and well fed, go for it. Treat it like wild hare, not like cage-raise rabbit.

Back