deba knives: be honest

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My deba has been used for fish only, except the one time I cut a piece of bread with it, which worked really well. I would use my gyuto for a pumpkin probably.

Yes, if I had a big German knife than I am fine I think. Anyway, so I use the deba - very thick, but at least it is not going to break in two pieces on hard shell.

Disagree about the pumpkin - lots of pumpkins in Asian cuisine. Curries, puddings, Japanese and Korean foods....
I'm mainly talking about crown pumpkin, thats pretty much all they sell here, in thailand they do have fak thong, which is kabocha in Japan, but it's a squash and was introduced.

My deba is only for fish. I really dont understand how you would benefit cutting a chicken, duck, goose what ever with a deba.

My deba is only for fish. I really dont understand how you would benefit cutting a chicken, duck, goose what ever with a deba.

yap!! that exactly what I'm thinking about!!???:scratchhead:????

I really wanted a Deba because they just look so cool. For cutting thru chicken bones and turkey bones.
From what I read, this type of knife chips easily when hacking thru chicken and turkey bones so I decided against it.

I'm now using an old 6" Henkles Chef's knife that I stopped using for everyday chopping.
I'm not sure what the best knife is for this task (spatchcocking a chicken/turkey) but I do it regularly.

I really wanted a Deba because they just look so cool. For cutting thru chicken bones and turkey bones.
From what I read, this type of knife chips easily when hacking thru chicken and turkey bones so I decided against it.

I'm now using an old 6" Henkles Chef's knife that I stopped using for everyday chopping.
I'm not sure what the best knife is for this task (spatchcocking a chicken/turkey) but I do it regularly.

[video=youtube_share;urIeUid1TMo]http://youtu.be/urIeUid1TMo[/video]

Only fish with my current deba and a few ducks when I had a 210 mioroshi; the ducks were really out of curiosity though. It did the job well enough, but I can do the same task quicker and probably better with a victorinox paring knife. Yeah, you can use a deba for pretty much anything, just as you could use a yanagi to split cabbage and dice butter; but why would you want to? Other than the fact they're just cool to use. :D

Cheers,
Josh

Deba is much more versatile than one would typically think. Its great for tartar and mincing herbs for example. And since it's a traditional, one-sided knife, it's sharper than your typical gyuto.

I must apologize already.

But *** is most of the BS here about? Patronizing? Zen-ning?
How can any of you/us no samurai, no swordmaker, no knifemaker, not even a real japanese with 6 years washing rice experience talk shite about whats what meant to do?
Forums experts.

Yeah, so I have 3 debas, wouldnt have any problem cutting pumpkin with it, or a chicken for that matter. To say it is the right tool for the job? No it is not but if you or you think its good for chicken, then thats truth for you. And its nobody elses business.

I tried chicken, a few and that actually went quite bad cause the knife feels to heavy and is too big definitely can do the job better with paring knife?
I mean, if you about to break the joint and need two hands, you have to put it down and pick up again just a clunky piece of gear for that[talking 21cm blade]. imho.
But haha try to cut out the oysters with cleaver... yeah, for sure goes well.

Never tried pumpkin cause have better knives to handle pukpkin the way I like. It can go nice with a bread knife, if theres one hanging around.

But I did slicing of onions, spring onions, lemons - that is very cool actually. I wedged through many carrots - again not the tool for the job but so I guess its time to be honest and realize they dont want me in Japan.

Oh ducks? Both raw and cooked. Trimming of breast is a pleasure if you like soooo much weight in your hand. Cooked duck sliced in half lengthwise to remove ribcage? There ya go!!

So yeah knife for fish mostly for me, but also for experimenting what it could work with.

Oh forgot to mention opened many beer bottles with the top of the right side. Now that it was made for.
I tried to use my Sandokans Sword for that but unfortunately almost took out an eye of the wife who was standing two metres away!

Be careful, Bienek. I think you broke so many knife rules maybe you can be arrested. Yes, maybe they can never let you enter into Japan.

Okay, now forget the fish. I will try my deba on everthing else.

there is no right or wrong use for a knife, its what ever you use it for at the moment... personally i find deba pointless, hate cleavers and nakiris too, i rather use a gyuto.

I have a 50/50 carter deba, a little aji knife, one giant cheap 240 beater deba, 180 shun, and a few times I borrow some sabun deba from another guy on sushi bar. I've played with using them on lots of different things, but for me its only an upgrade to use on fish.

Furthermore, the better quality harder ones will chip more, and I've already started to see how easy I can chip the 2 doi yanagi I have. As a guy who has washed rice for 6 years and is cleaning fish more now ... I would maybe go further and say that for a very good deba you only use only on fish, AND make sure you do it well. I see some guys on sushi bar who can work very fast, but upgrade to nicer knives and chips everywhere because they work drunk or careless.

Most of you know better than me, so this is just my guess. Maybe I trick someone into bst a good deal on nice deba LoL.

The question in the thread was clear: be honest what you are using/used your deba on.

Me myself am a man who uses nailbrush and srcub knives and uses bleach on cutting board between jobs and would love to wash rice for six years [maybe in some other life] and at work I use my knives thoughtfully and geenrally as intended. However at home, when freshly sharpened, such knife can be used in many ways :bigeek:

But saying that who here uses sujihiki just for slicing?
Do you have sushikiri for maki rolls? I think actually in every place Ive been chef used his yanagi/suji for that.

Sushikiri I was always told was only for futomaki which we only make for friends and very good customer.

I wasn't trying to jump on the purist wagon, just saying as I've definitely tried using deba for poultry and other things I stopped over time because I didn't enjoy it. Although, I do like to dock shrimp tails for tempura with my little one... so there that exception.

Duck with Mioroshi.

[video=youtube_share;KCh5HwuOFwU]http://youtu.be/KCh5HwuOFwU[/video]

I've used a deba for a chicken once or twice...its not really a good knife for that job at all IMO. Now, I only use deba for fish. I don't see how it would really do a good job on hard veg like pumpkin....I don't think it would be that easy to get precise cuts with a deba on that product.

My Kanasaki deba in my avatar is specifically designed for crab and shellfish. So it isn't a random deba use on my Crab. I was lucky enough to buy it a while back from Bishamon. Just thought I would throw that out there.

If you want to use deba on a pumpkin, why not?

Ive been a professional cook and sushi chef for almost a decade and I can tell you that ive seen people slice beautifully thin green onion with a deba. And wreck them with sharp gyutos. If you find the knife works for what you need and the technique works and doesnt damage your knife or product... who cares?

Rock on!

+1. As an example, I use my suji to carve big veg and fruit, and a little French super skinny paring to debone squab and small poultry. As long as your comftorable, and the knife isn't getting damaged (but really it's your knife, so if your okay with that, so be it) do what you gotta do

you should use a bread knife for the pumpkin the deba i think is too thick to really be of good use for the pumpkin...but enjoy

you should use a bread knife for the pumpkin the deba i think is too thick to really be of good use for the pumpkin...but enjoy

Yes, another good idea, thanks, and yes a deba is too thick. However, I don't have a bread knife and somehow a deba is still more fun don't you think?

Besides... I always thought that we should only use bread knives for bread. I don't want to make new trouble again.

Bread knives are for the drawer when guests visit, a gyuto will cut bread and pumkins just fine.

Besides... I always thought that we should only use bread knives for bread. I don't want to make new trouble again.

Agreed, bread knife for bread only, and only the breads that non-serrated blades wont work as well on.

Agreed, bread knife for bread only, and only the breads that non-serrated blades wont work as well on.

Theres no way you could use any valuable chef knife on the sourdough Im baking. But from what Ive eaten the SF sourdough wouldt be a tough nut to crack for a top japanese knife too.

And I've seen people cutting sushi rolls with wiktorinoks. hell yeah.

Back