Deng Xiaowen a Cleaver from Dazu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update. My cleavers showed up after about 3 and a half months. Nothing wrong with the knives but that sure is slow delivery. And I have my copy of "Fish and Rice" so I need to start cooking!

Congrats, Noodle Soup on both knife and book. I think "The land of fish and rice" is very nice. At the moment, only about half way through the book reading. Soon induction wok hob will be installed in my kitchen, replacing one of the two gas hobs I currently have. More fire power to the wok.

Many thanks! Seems plausible, with the 1911. And that knife is indeed stainless, isn’t it?! This would also make sense given the scratch- and sharpening marks, but no patina. Given that I have bigger hands, and that I know the size of the 13xx series, I thought that the 11x could be an equivalent. Closest would be 111x then. I have two carbon steel knifes, see above, and even if i like them, the reactivity can to times be a bit cumbersome, and since Fuchsia seems to use the stainless, I took it as a go :)

So, do you know how stainless the CCK stainless series are? Or which steel alloy? Etc. Sometimes also the stainless have a fairly amount, of carbon, therefore being a good compromise (sometimes also, the carbon knifes are not very reactive, of course), but if the are really hard to sharpen, maybe I will give it another thought.

Sorry, I missed your post last month. CCK stainless is just an ordinary stainless knife, nothing special. It sharpened all right from memory, but can't be compared to carbon Chinese made cleaver for which good ones would be sharper and easier to sharpen.

If you are keen on Cleaver and have budget, I would recommend giving Japanese made Chuka a try. For a small stainless cleaver, Sugimoto 4030 should be a very good choice. For a full size stainless, Mizuno (via JCK for example) has been receiving a good praised on forums. Tadatsuna Inox would be a good choice too, but probably can't be obtained. Hattori (JCK) might be a good choice, if you like the handle. For a bit cheaper option, Suien VG-10 (JCK) does look good, and Kagayaki VG-1 looks all right too.

Xoomg might have other cheaper Taiwanese made recommendations.

Personally, I really like Heiji Semi-Stainless chukka that I have for non carbon option, just make sure don't get a standard wa handle version like I did. It was a bit too small to be comfortable. A larger wa handle like those in Moritaka and Takeda are fine though.

QUOTE=Kamelion;431956]So dear forumers,

today the postman arrived with my knife. Unpacked, and quickly inspected it looks nice. I will post pictures tomorrow.

One question though: when washing away the (machine) oil from the factory, protecting the blade from rust, i noticed that my dish brush became black from the black lacquer (or whatever it is). Afterwards i gave it a quick wipe with mineral oil to further prevent rust, and the paper turned really black, and it seems, I can continue wipe more black stuff off.

This layer also smells somewhat smokey, as in a smithery, which is nice, but I wonder: what is this, and do I want it in my food?

QlGAKIX.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I used a lot of dish soap and a scouring pad to remove the loose bits of the black oxide. In fact I over done it in a few places and left scratch marks.

Watch the rust. I didn't exactly put mine up dirty and wet but I turned my back and it ended up with heavy rust patches and deep pits. None around the edge so it isn't the end of the world. I was just surprised how that much rust could accumulate so fast.

Back