Destoning avocados - How do you do it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I tried this technique for the first time today, took the avocado, sliced it as shown. I was puzzled to feel it a bit hard to slide the avocado forward on the blade as I was cutting around it. When I was separating the 2 halves I realised why: my knife had bitten all the way to half of the core!
Anyway works perfectly fine, thanks for sharing :lol2:

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to my own thread but my wife had our second child (A little girl) on Saturday so I've been a little busy.
Thanks for all the info on what must seem like a simple task to most of you. The video is very helpful. I honestly didn't think most people on here would use a knife to de-stone the avocado. I take it that the act of impaling an avocado stone on your knife is unlikely to do much damage to the edge.
While I can't vouch for my friend's knife skills, she is a pretty darn good cook and uses avocados on a regular basis. I think she must have injured herself removing the stone from the knife, but at least now when I see her again and get all the details I will have some useful advice (a little late) for her on how to avoid this kind of thing.
Might have to get me some avocados this week and see what I can do with them.
Thanks to all.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to my own thread but my wife had our second child (A little girl) on Saturday ....

:bliss: :jumping3: :bliss:

Congratulations, what's her name????

You never use your good knives to cut into something hard.

Just hold the avocado on your hand and use your knife to cut two full vertical circles around the avocado. Cutting deep enough to reach the seed but not cut into it. So basically cutting the avocado into 4 wedges.
Simply pull the wedges away from the seed by hand, and hand peel them

... I take it that the act of impaling an avocado stone on your knife is unlikely to do much damage to the edge.

Correct. Avocado pits are not that hard, not like the stone in a peach, for example. However, if you don't get it deep enough into the pit you may damage the edge when you twist it out. It should penetrate about 3/8 inch.

i just nicked my hand as well. on a peach i was cutting open..the pit was kinda rotting, or split. it let my knife go all the way thru, to my hand. bummer.

with avacado..i hack the pit usually. if i am making guac..i just squeeze the entire thing out, and fish out the pits with a spoon. faster.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to my own thread but my wife had our second child (A little girl) on Saturday so I've been a little busy.

I realize you are fairly new, but you HAVE to get your priorities straight - posting here always comes first ;) :D Congratulations to the whole family!

Stefan

Back