Difference between a Sujihiki and a carving knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have access to a Costco get the tramontina pros made in Brazil they are selling there for peanuts (a 10 and 8" chef) for like $12 for example. They have a very similar profile to the Victorinox and sharpen up just fine...

You won't go wrong with a Tojiro DP. inexpensive, take a fabulous edge and hold it well, and similar enough to Western knives to make the transition easy.

Very plain, but I'm delighted with mine and all I've done with it so far is touch up the edge a bit.

Peter

Just wondering if suji would be the next best alternative for just occasionally slicing some sashimi therefore owning a yanagiba cannot be justified.

Conversely, I'm wondering if using a Yanagi as a Suji for general slicing (such as cooked meats) not just raw fish and/or sushi, etc. would be okay? When I ordered my Kensaki Yanagi from Watanabe, Shinichi mentioned that they're intended for slicing raw fish, so I wouldn't want to be too rough on it.

Thanks

owning a yanagiba cannot be justified

Justified? We don't need no stinking justification...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:gunner::gun1:

You won't go wrong with a Tojiro DP. inexpensive, take a fabulous edge and hold it well, and similar enough to Western knives to make the transition easy.

Very plain, but I'm delighted with mine and all I've done with it so far is touch up the edge a bit.

Peter

Are all the rave reviews of tojiro dp directed at the gyuto only? Or are all tojiro dp line-ups equally good? For example, the tojiro dp Sujihiki.

Lastly, how are tojiro's other line-ups aside from the dp line? I noticed they had tojiro shiro-ko kasumi yanagibas on Amazon that were in a comfortable price-range for me to get as my first yanagiba and go ham on it practicing and experimenting different techniques of sharpening and cutting.

Lastly, how are tojiro's other line-ups aside from the dp line? I noticed they had tojiro shiro-ko kasumi yanagibas on Amazon that were in a comfortable price-range for me to get as my first yanagiba and go ham on it practicing and experimenting different techniques of sharpening and cutting.

Is this a joke?

Perhaps the question would be better posed on Amazon? They may know more about a $20 yanagiba there. You don't seem to like the answers you're getting here.

Why? I don't understand your aggression.

This knife is $80 for 270 and $120 for 300...

The problem thus far is that you seem to want people to simply respond to your threads. You don't really want any true responses though. Otherwise you wouldn't completely disregard the individuals that have done their utmost to help with your ever changing new taste of: 'is this good enough and can I get it cheaperer?'

'Cheaperer' is a word of my own design. I prefer not to use it unless provoked.

Is this a joke?

The problem thus far is that you seem to want people to simply respond to your threads. You don't really want any true responses though. Otherwise you wouldn't completely disregard the individuals that have done their utmost to help with your ever changing new taste of: 'is this good enough and can I get it cheaperer?'

'Cheaperer' is a word of my own design. I prefer not to use it unless provoked.

I sort of understand what you're saying. The thing is, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. You guys are probably all experts and I understand the logic behind "too poor to buy cheap" and the qt, or the lack thereof, on budget single bevel knives such as yanagiba's. Your advices have not gone in one ear and come out the other. It's just that after seeing jon's video of sharpening a single bevel knife.. Sharpening the two bevels on the knife, doing uraoish, etc.. I'm not confident that I'll be able to do well on my first knife. Plus, the sushi chefs at my restaurant are all highly recommending that I go with a cheap yanagiba for my first. Another thing is, the stones at the restaurant aren't that well maintained and I don't have my own stones yet. Just the thought of sharpening an expensive yanagi on those stones aren't all that pleasing.

I do appreciate all your advices.

I have decided against the tojiro yanagi. I will go see some yanagi's at this local Asian store tomorrow, per my sushi chefs' recommendation, and will come to a conclusion between them and the uraku.

Ps- idk if that's what chinacats was commenting about

Good thing you left your wallet in your car...you should listen to these guys ^^.

:rofl2:

First you have to get a couple stones. Sets can be a good route JKI, Dave Martell. Do not be intimidated about learning. Both Double bevel & single bevel Jon's vids are what you need to get started. Plus you work in a Sushi place you need a Yanagiba been down this route before, 200.00 for a straight white steel yanagi is cheap for what you get. That WS will get razor sharp in a snap & encourage the learning process.

Buying cheap soft stainless to learn on does not make since a waste of money & as a beginner at sharpening you don't need the extra frustration of crappy steel.

Back