Different method of detecting the apex

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the past 6 months or so I have moved away from trying to feel the burr by sliding my thumb vertically down the blade. I assume most people do this and I did for a long time. I am able to feel a burr like this if I raise a large enough burr and it works pretty well. Recently though I have switched to running the blade (gently and extremely carefully) across my thumb nail. This works far better for me as I am looking for a uniform 'bite' across the whole edge, when you get uniformity, you have apexed the entire blade length. This method seems to allow me to raise a smaller burr and spend less time sharpening while ensuring the tip and heel are apexed. Does anyone else use this method exclusively?

For the past 6 months or so I have moved away from trying to feel the burr by sliding my thumb vertically down the blade. I assume most people do this and I did for a long time. I am able to feel a burr like this if I raise a large enough burr and it works pretty well. Recently though I have switched to running the blade (gently and extremely carefully) across my thumb nail. This works far better for me as I am looking for a uniform 'bite' across the whole edge, when you get uniformity, you have apexed the entire blade length. This method seems to allow me to raise a smaller burr and spend less time sharpening while ensuring the tip and heel are apexed. Does anyone else use this method exclusively?

Murray Carter three finger method for me if I need real precision.

I use a cork or a Q-Tip.

I can feel the cork “catch” when I slide a cork down the edge.

Also, Q-Tip will catch and pull the fibers.

Back