Different names for basically same knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stimpy

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post in the kkf forums. I a relatively new to japanese knives. I am more of a fisherman and sharpening enthusiast then a chef, which is why i first got into japanese knives. i purchased a mcusta deba and yanagiba acouple years ago and was very impressed with the sharpeness and the joy i got out of carving up fresh fish. From there i go into sharpening as a hobby and bought several more japanese knives including acouple unknown brand carbon knives. I have since thinned out the herd and am looking to purchase a quality knife or two within the next couple months (probably one small r2 gyuto for daily use and a petty carbon as they feel great on the stones). Aesthetics are important but what I'm really looking for is a knife that i can get the maximum sharpness out of and has decent edge retention, a really laser. I personally prefer shorter, thin knives as my knife skills are quite basic and i find shorter knives easier to handle.

the two knives im looking at are from knifeware canada:

Masakage Zero 150mm petty- Aogami Super (more as fun to sharpen, testing how sharp can i get it kind of show knife, will be used but not often)

and

TAKAMURA UCHIGUMO 180mm gyuto - r2 (to be used as my go to kitchen knife)

my first question is is the maskage zero made my Takeshi Saji?
I see different Takeshi Saji knives offered form different stores but they al seem to be alittle bit different. are they all of equal quality?

is the TAKAMURA UCHIGUMO made by Takamura Hamono? Is it the same knife as the takamura pro/blazen but with Damascus cladding?

If anyone has any experience with these knives please chip in, or if you can suggest any other knives worth investigating :)

thanks

For max. sharpness you want to look for knives in "white" steel - white 1/white 2. Aogame super is a few steps towards edge retension rather than max sharpness.
I think v2 steel feels and "acts" much like white steel.
Konosuke, Sakai Yusuke and Gessin Ginga are the obvious "lazers".
Happy "hunting" :)
- Kim

Masakage Zero 150mm petty- Aogami Super (more as fun to sharpen, testing how sharp can i get it kind of show knife, will be used but not often)

Sorry, as I have no idea about this knife. However, I'm a bit curious as the steel is AS. Jeez, I think I've briefly owned a knife in AS, but I still don't know. I'm not sure, given that you're looking at this as your 'fun to sharpen' knife, if an AS knife is the right choice. I think they're not within the great-to-sharpen with category due to the content that makes the steel so retentive and strong.

As was said above, white steels are always great feeling and get so sharp. Blue2, even if people don't know it here all the time, really seems to be the preferred option for pros in Japan, and B2 knives go for distinctly higher prices, with W2 also being very common.

I'd say since you envision the 150 petty as a show knife which you won't use much, no need to get one in AS as it seems more of a steel for people who like to keep their edges going well long, with minimal but more painstaking sharpening when it happens.

The petty is a clad blade and to my mind is aimed at those who appreciate cosmetics more than ultimate sharpness. if you are serious about super sharp I would seek out a carbon steel knife to feed your sharpening skills. You don't state your location (Canada I assume) so it is hard to recommend a supplier, but I would suggest something that shows off the steel rather more than the hammer. Here is a link to a UK website that gives you a bit more insight into the various Masakage knives (and craftsmen) that are readily available. I have a few Masakage knives - can't say as I love them or use them much, but the Kirusaki San Shimo's are quite nice (not stainless clad).

Does anyone know if these are the same knives though?

Im located in australia for the next year but do spend quite abit of time in canada

I do not believe Saji makes the Masakage zero; he's not listed on their website as one of their blacksmiths.

Does anyone know if these are the same knives though?

Im located in australia for the next year but do spend quite abit of time in canada
I'm not sure what you mean? Are you asking if Masakage Zero and Takamura Uchigumo are the same knives?? I mean, they have different steel and look very different - why should they be the same knives?

Masakage Zero: Aogami Super core steel, hammered cladding.
http://shop.knifewear.com/japanese-chef-knives-masakage-zero

Takamura Uchigumo: R2 core steel, damascus cladding.
http://shop.knifewear.com/japanese-chef-knives-takamura-uchigumo

But if you mean if Takamura Uchigumo is essentially the same as Blazen, I don't know. I think it's the same maker, though.

to clarify, im comparing the saji 150mm petty http://japanesechefsknife.com/SajiSpecials.html

to masakage zero http://shop.knifewear.com/masakage-zero-petty-150mm/dp/3177

they look exactly the same but the masakage is polished. (same steel, same handle, same profile, same maker?)

id also like to compare the takamura suminagashi http://www.chefsarmoury.com/kitchen-knives-by-brand/takamura/takamura-suminagashi/cat_195.html

to the takamura uchigumo http://shop.knifewear.com/japanese-chef-knives-takamura-uchigumo

the seem identical to me but knifeware right the hardness 65-67 and chefs armoury rates the hardness 65.

sorry about not including links in my first post, i was sure if it was allowed

The masakage is made by Kurosaki; here's the snippet from Knifewear's blog -

"Super good news for lovers of super cool knives. Masakage Knives has just announced the launch of a complete line of Masakage Zero. The line is handmade by Kurosaki san with Aogami steel core clad with stainless steel. The hammered blade is polished and a handmader iropn wood western handle finishes the kick-ass knife. Performance is amazing and the looks even more so. Jeffery at the Calgary store has a 240mm gyuto and LOVES it."

As for the Takamura, they're the same knife AFAIK

The masakage is made by Kurosaki; here's the snippet from Knifewear's blog -

"Super good news for lovers of super cool knives. Masakage Knives has just announced the launch of a complete line of Masakage Zero. The line is handmade by Kurosaki san with Aogami steel core clad with stainless steel. The hammered blade is polished and a handmader iropn wood western handle finishes the kick-ass knife. Performance is amazing and the looks even more so. Jeffery at the Calgary store has a 240mm gyuto and LOVES it."

As for the Takamura, they're the same knife AFAIK

The zero is made by saji now.. He took it over after kurosaki

Masakage Zero Line.
Kurosaki Makes the blade. but Saji makes the handle.
The only way Saji agreed to make the handle is to state that the knife was made by Saji.
The only reason we know of Kurosaki is from his own line, of R2 blades that he makes. but even though Saji makes the handles for those, they are marketed at kurosaki so that there are not 2 lines of the same core and same handle from the same maker. Instead 2 forge makers so slightly different blades, same handles.

Back