Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot! You guys are really helpful.

This site is dangerous... I'll get a cheaper knife for now to see how I'll like the type. If I do, I might soon have no money to buy food but at least I'll have a nice knife. :laugh:

Money comes and goes, butt knives stay.

I'm in the same situation as birdeye and would like to hear your opinion on the cleavers available to me

I live i Denmark and can risk paying 40$ + 25% of the order, if i order outside the EU. I have found the following cleavers inside EU.

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature 7-Inch Vegetable Cleaver for around 90$ in a local shop.
Weight and steel unknown

JCK Kagayaki KG-25 on the german Ebay for 150$ postage included
Weight: 380 g

SN1124B Tamahagane San Chinese chef's knife from http://www.millyskitchenstore.co.uk for 236$ postage included
Blade Material: 3-layer steel (core: VG5 / Page: SUS410)
Weight: 406 g
Hardness: 58-59 HRC

or finally a noname cheap cleaver in a semilocal chinese shop for 20$

The henckels do seem like the most reasonable choice, since i have never used a chinese cleaver. But i really dislike that they can't be bothered to write basic information about it on their website like steeltype and weight. Also from reading a lot about japanese knifes i guess it's also a bad thing that it is german. I also don't find the looks of the plastic handle very nice.

The JCK is a good option, but i have read some reviews about it, saying it's not so great compared to others.

The Tamahagane San is made of a decent steel and i really like the handle. But it worries me that i can't find any opinions about it on the internet. Also i find it weird that it's apparently only sold in a very few shops in Europe.

I'm most tempted to go for the Tahamagane San, but it is so expensive that i could get the Suien VC from http://japanesechefsknife.com and pay the hefty customs for the same price. Do you think it's worth the price compared to the cheaper KG-25 or the Suien VC?

The cleaver will be my first decent knife. I actually started only wanting to replace my cheap santoku knife with another cheap one, but then i started researching on the internet. After some reading i almost ordered a Tojiro nakiri, but after reading this thread and other cleaverenthusiastic threads i feel quite certain that a cleaver would be great for me aswell. I will only use it for vegetables. One could argue that i should just buy a cheap crapcleaver to begin with, but i find it discouraging and not very interesting.

I hope my post won't drown in this long thread :)

The cleaver will be my first decent knife. I actually started only wanting to replace my cheap santoku knife with another cheap one, but then i started researching on the internet. After some reading i almost ordered a Tojiro nakiri, but after reading this thread and other cleaverenthusiastic threads i feel quite certain that a cleaver would be great for me aswell. I will only use it for vegetables. One could argue that i should just buy a cheap crapcleaver to begin with, but i find it discouraging and not very interesting.

Welcome!!

I have a cheap cck large cleaver...the steel is carbon unknown type and rather cheap feeling but it gets very sharp, doesn't weigh a lot and would be an inexpensive way to figure out if you want a cleaver or not...actually the $20 unit locally may be an even better deal then if you enjoy it you can shell out some real money for something that comes more highly recommended.

Cheers

The JCK is a good option, but i have read some reviews about it, saying it's not so great compared to others.

The Tamahagane San is made of a decent steel and i really like the handle. But it worries me that i can't find any opinions about it on the internet. Also i find it weird that it's apparently only sold in a very few shops in Europe.

I'm most tempted to go for the Tahamagane San, but it is so expensive that i could get the Suien VC from http://japanesechefsknife.com and pay the hefty customs for the same price. Do you think it's worth the price compared to the cheaper KG-25 or the Suien VC?

Welcome to the Forum.

The Tahamagane San appears to be a cleaver for home use. Generally cleavers less then 200mm are thought to be more for the home, while cleavers 210mm or greater are for restaurant use. Of course there are always exceptions.

The Suien VC is a full size cleaver, and what some of us cleaver fans consider to be an ideal size 220mm x 110mm. Cleavers this size weigh between 400-500 grams. And they can weigh considerably more, on a a medium edge or so called chopping cleaver.

A lot of people who have picked up a cleaver, couldn't put it down fast enough. The size and weight of a cleaver is foreign to most people used to knifes that weigh considerably less, and are not so tall.

The typical advice for person considering a picking up a cleaver is to find out if the size and weight are going to be a problem. An inexpensive cleaver from an Asian grocery store, will help a person answer that question.

The next step would be to purchase a Suien VC. It a thin edged, slicing cleaver, that cuts well, and has good carbon steel. It performs nearly as well as cleavers that cost twice as much.

Most cleavers are rough, when it comes to fit and finish. Nothing that a little sand paper and some elbow grease can't fix.

Cleavers are different enough from western knives, that they take time to learn how to use them and adjust to their size and weight. It took me about a month, before I started to feel comfortable with mine.

Jay

Thanks for your replies. I don't find buying the cheap one very interesting, but i guess you are right about trying a cleaver first. I think it would be hard to sell in Denmark, if i bought the Suien and didnt like it :(

A CCK cleaver can give you a very good insight on the use of a cleaver for little money. It is also a superb knife: Very thin, light and nimble. I love mine. It can get very sharp and in spite of being made of carbon it is easy to mantein as it has some kind of coating than help to prevent it from rust.

Regards

Thanks for your replies. I don't find buying the cheap one very interesting, but i guess you are right about trying a cleaver first. I think it would be hard to sell in Denmark, if i bought the Suien and didnt like it :(

It depends on your experience, and needs, as to which cleaver to purchase first. Often times forum members are looking for something different to try, so they pick up a small cleaver 200mm or less. It gives a person an idea of what a cleaver can do. Most people stop at this point, deciding cleavers do not work for them. Those who like cleavers, when they try a full size one, find them awkward and unwieldy. I've been involved with the forums for over six years, in that time, I can name only a handful of people who are fans of full size cleavers. Since so few people end up being cleaver fans, that is why a series of cautious steps is advised, instead of taking the plunge.

A common problem for most home cooks and some pro cooks, is a lack of space, especially when large amounts of food need to be prepped. Trying to find a solution to this problem is what caused me to try a cleaver. My first cleaver was a Shun. It improved my productivity enough, that I searched the internet, for more tips and tricks, on how to use cleavers. That search led me to knife forums and Andy's threads, such as this one. The experience with the Shun, was positive, so it was easy to try a full size cleaver.

I remember being somewhat disappointed, when I opened the box on my first full size cleaver. There was scale on the choil and front of the cleaver. The tang was a rat tail type, with the end being hammered over into a hole on the handle. The knife felt awkward in my hand. It was a far different experience from my Shun santoku, that was so light and nimble, and seemed to cut effortlessly. Andy kept saying that it takes time to adjust to a full size cleaver. It probably took a month of using the cleaver off and on, to get comfortable.

The size and weight of a cleaver, which most people initially dislike about a cleaver, actually are strengths. It is counter intuitive, but it is much easier to do a fine dice with a larger heavier knife, then a smaller lighter knife. The finest dice, I can do, is with a petty or small sujihiki. I have to concentrate as I make the cuts. On a cleaver, it is almost mindless, lift the cleaver, let it fall. The height of a cleaver offers several advantages. It acts as an edge guard, put it against the knuckles, as long as the blade isn't raised above the knuckles, its hard to cut oneself. It's easy to see where the cuts are going. This is handy on horizontal cuts, where the blade doesn't disappear into the food. The height allows the larger muscles of the forearm to be used. The weight assists with the cut. Also it keeps lateral movements to a minimum. A muscle twinge will barely move a cleaver.

An unexpected benefit of learning to use a cleaver is that it has improved my overall knife skills. It is similar to the person who trains by running in sand. By learning to use a large heavy knife, I've developed muscle memory that is beneficial when using different types of knives. A 300mm gyuto, does not feel large in my hands, and I am comfortable doing tip work with it.

Jay

I have actully bought a lot of old Chinese cleavers on eBay to play with and fix up. Don't know what the eBay situation is like in Finland. I am a big cleaver fan, but will say they are big compared to knives. I had my knives in a resent photoshoot and they ended up taking the cleaver out of the shot because it was so much bigger that the rest of my knives. So if you have not held one you might be surprised how big it is.

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature 7-Inch Vegetable Cleaver for around 90$ in a local shop.
Weight and steel unknown

I have that. The steel is the standard Henckels Ice hardened dealy. The steel suits my needs. It sharpens easy yet keeps an edge really nicely. It's pretty thin out of the box. I still went ahead and thinned it down. I think the handle is the largest thing to get over. It's really really smooth and on the thin side. So wet hands will have nothing to hold on to. And the balance is really tip heavy so swinging it around for an hour without much of a handle really isn't a great time.

I paid about $40usd for mine. Worth it in my opinion. But next chance I get I'm getting a big cck or dexter. Because of the handle and carbon kicks butt.

You convinced me and i just ordered this from the german Amazon. I did it through Google Translate, since i only understand very little german, so it's gonna be interesting what i signed up for :laugh:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B004PZ5E2U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

20€ (about 27$). blade is 175 mm and the cleaver weighs 360g. It ended up being cheaper and easier than ordering from the shop in Denmark i thought was the cheapest.

The CCK was not an option since i would have to order it outside the EU and risk paying more in customs than for the cleaver itself.

Jaybett what do you mean with this sentence "There was scale on the choil and front of the cleaver." What part of the cleaver is the choil and what is scale?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it must one of the best looking cleavers i have seen in the pricerange! I hope it's a good ambassadeur for the cleavers ;-)

Wow! I wonder if regular amazon has that. I gotta check it out later.

Cleaver's & Gyuto have their place in a kit.I would rather clean fish wt. a gyuto,but for many jobs a cleaver will smoke a french style knife.

Back in the 1970's I worked as a banquet cook at Sheraton Waikiki we used to put out 1000+ count banqs. on a regular basis.I was new in a kit. back then would chop large quantities of parsley using 2 12" Forchners one in each hand.

A chinese banq.staff shared the same huge banq. Kit.They would laugh at us using our silly knives.It was at that job that I first saw what could be done wt. a cleaver,these guys could debone a chicken in one fluid motion flipping the bones off the end of the blade into the stock pot.They all used carbon cleavers as they still do today in chinatown.

I learned cleaver skills fr. my buddy Tin Fu.He could clean lobsters so fast wt. a small cleaver.I used several cleavers a heavier bone cleaver for cutting platters of Ginger Chix,3 chix a platter for banquets,as much as 20 platters at a time,you have to work fast or you will never make it in a Union Hotel wt. a limited amount of workers.I would not have made it without learning cleaver skills,& sharp carbon steel blades.

Those Chinese chef's knives aren't cleavers in the traditional sense IMO and I have a Lamson Chinese knife like that with a thin blade that I would try to put through bone for anything. If you want one for the chop then get a cleaver with some muscle AND backbone - it should weigh more than 1.5lbs and be made of stern stuff. I just got a Zhen 8" VG-10 cleaver that is heavy like 1-3/4 - 2lb with a very nice handle. Get a real butcher's cleaver - you can find some nice vintage pieces on fleebay or second hand stores and getting it back into shape will be a good experience in edge geometry and sharpening.

Those Chinese chef's knives aren't cleavers in the traditional sense IMO and I have a Lamson Chinese knife like that with a thin blade that I would try to put through bone for anything. If you want one for the chop then get a cleaver with some muscle AND backbone - it should weigh more than 1.5lbs and be made of stern stuff. I just got a Zhen 8" VG-10 cleaver that is heavy like 1-3/4 - 2lb with a very nice handle. Get a real butcher's cleaver - you can find some nice vintage pieces on fleebay or second hand stores and getting it back into shape will be a good experience in edge geometry and sharpening.

Actually- they are cleavers. Just not the chopper types that you seem to be accustomed to. There is a wide variety of cleavers that are task specific. The typical Chinese style cleaver is a jack of all trades, and better named as the Chinese Chef's knife. It's well suited for fine up to medium duty tasks, and an accomplished chef will make great use of its impressive geometry. They are very versatile. Not suited for blunt trauma chopping, but still very accomplished at butchery fabrication, in conjunction with some heavier tools.

At work I still break out my CCK 1103 for most tasks. Granted I'm only working as a secondary cutter in the butchery dept but when I close I'm the only one there doing all the cutting. We have an old Dexter bone cleaver that is over a 1/3" across and weighs a ton LOL That and my CCK can do most tasks I need done on my shift :)

I really need to get a nice custom for my home kit :p I just have to stop buying other things just before those good ones pop up LOL

I just received a Nakiri from Dave and am wondering if the techniques in the post will apply to a Nakiri?

With a nakiri you don't have the same advantage of the blade weight and balance carrying momentum though the cut, and grip options are a bit different as you won't have enough blade height to do the straight fingered pinch grip or "peace sign." So, as similar as they are, they feel pretty different in use. However, a lot of the cutting motions / techniques are the same. I never thought of it before, but a Nakiri might be a decent stepping stone for a cleaver.

As if I didn't already want a cleaver bad enough already, now I really want 2, one heavy for chopping bones and one thinner for general purpose. shopping shopping shopping.

I have cooked (at home) for very many years. I go way back guys, to cooking on a woodburning, black iron stove at a farm where I lived. And by the way, those old cookstoves are marvelous cooking tools! I also still cook with cast iron pans and have some 100+ years old.

But on to my thanks to Andy. I had an odd assortment of German blades and Forschner/Victorinox knives. Then I came across Japanese knives. Wow! What an eye opener. I bought some Mac knives and thought I was in heaven. In the course of my looking and learning about all the just so beautiful craftsmanship found in Japanese knives, I came across Andy's article on cleavers.

I set myself a challenge to cook for one week using nothing but a cleaver and paring knife (I also have an old Forschner serrated bread knife for the crusty bread I bake). I purchased a CCK 1303 Cleaver and an inexpensive Tojiro Petty and started cooking.

I have never looked back. I can fully prepare anything here at home with that combination. Of course, I am looking at an upgrade to maybe a Tanaka 150mm, Damascus, Blue Steel Petty and maybe the Tojiro 270 ITK Bread Knife but for now, the CCK stays put.

Sorry to be long winded but a great big thanks to ANDY, for teaching this old dog new tricks! I am a happy cook!

:welcome2:

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Every man should believe in something, I believe in the barbeque!!! :joec:

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I guess I kinda draw the line with mine too... I agree cleavers rule tho.

Back