Do single bevel meant to cut on the flat edge?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidl

Reaction score
The material being cut is leather using the flat edge as the reference point when held 90 degree straight. The cut is angled not straight. It is like the blade pressure leans toward the side of the bevel because the edge is off center.

Single bevel knifes do they cut on flat edge or meant to cut on the bevel side or either side is okay?

Flat edge should be contacting the item you are cutting.

For fish slices, my bevel is closer to the board than the concave side, if this helps any. I've never cut leather before.

A single bevel edge will have a tendency to follow the bevel. Like a chisel on wood... Bevel up and the chisel will dive into wood. Bevel down (against the wood) and it will drive out of the wood/cut. With a single bevel it is easier to control your cut with the bevel against what your cutting like cutting fish with a Yanagi or a Usuba peeling a daikon. If you flip the blades over they will dig into the food right away. In leather and wood working the flat side of the single bevel knife should be in contact with the straight edge or template so that it drives into the template not away . For freehand cutting use a double bevel knife.

If the leather is being skived, then bevel up, flat part of the knife against the leather. For general cutting, with a sharp single bevel knife I don't think it matters, but there will be a bit of an angle to the edge of the leather; unless the leather is very thick, the angle should be pretty minimal. For consistency, I would say the flat side should be kept vertical, since this angle is easier to maintain than trying to keep the bevel side vertical.

Alternatively, as noted, use a double bevel knife for a more vertical edge.

However, most leathers are skived at the edge before use, so a tiny angle on the initial cut doesn't really matter.

Back