Do You Like Heat Colours on the Neck of Your Knives? (Poll)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat Colours on The Neck

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • Don't like

Votes: 43 46.2%
  • Like on Carbon, not on Stainless

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Depends on the aesthetics

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker-Canadian Mazaki
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Heat colours are the result of the knife tange and neck being heated for fit up (burning in). You get a variety of metallic colours ranging from bronze to blues, most everyone here has seen them at some point. I typically leave them on my knives because I like the aesthetic and they're just part of the construction and assembly process most of the time, but my opinion can't really take presence over that of my customers and regarding feedback it's been a pretty mixed bag.

Some people love them, some people hate them, and before the new year starts I'd like to get a better sense of how people lean. Maybe I'll dispense with them going forwards. Perhaps not.

Not a big fan of scorch marks.

How do you get rid of them? Sandpaper?

Do you burn in all of your handles? Hard and soft woods?
No need to abrade the steel at all. They're just heat induced oxides. A quick rub with a little BKF or comet takes them right off.

Pretty much all of them. It's the fastest way to get fully flush fits. The exception is really only brass end caps like on @Tekkz custom

all of my catchesides have them. I don’t have any other makers that do it in my collection. I like it, pop of color, adds a talking point about metallurgy to nerd out about if anyone asks about it.

Weirdly enough, I hate timascus and the colors that it gets from heat treat even though it’s essentially the same.

Last edited:
I like it on most of your stuff, but I think that’s part of the “Msicard look” so to speak. Although I will say I prefer it to be more all or nothing, for lack of a better term.

The first picture looks great to me the second is a little less so

IMG_4550.png
IMG_4551.png

I like it on most of your stuff, but I think that’s part of the “Msicard look” so to speak. Although I will say I prefer it to be more all or nothing, for lack of a better term.

The first picture looks great to me the second is a little less so

View attachment 289997View attachment 289998
Gotcha. Yeah the second blade is a stainless. Those have to be heated way more to get the same amount of colouring, and even then it's never as vibrant as carbons.

Depends. I think makers like Kamon, and especially catcheside do them really well. Other makers it look a bit less elegant. I enjoy that you do them on your knives! Some fine tuning with the depth of color would take them to the next level imo.

Hell yeah. I like seeing stuff like this because it highlights the efforts of the maker.

I get aesthetically some people like it clean clean, which takes even more work I suppose.

I don't care for it with the migaki/scotchbrite finish. Just doesn't quite match those and I feel it detracts from the overall F&F vibe of those more ~polished~ knives. On a KU, etched, or otherwise fun knife, I'd vote to leave it. I'm a patina pervert, but just never loved the look on the shiny ones.

I like it on my 270mm @MSicardCutlery gyuto. It speaks to me of forges and heated steel and real blacksmiths, of handmade tools. Also makes it really easy to spot the knife in my drawer rack.
Heat colours are the result of the knife tange and neck being heated for fit up (burning in). You get a variety of metallic colours ranging from bronze to blues, most everyone here has seen them at some point. I typically leave them on my knives because I like the aesthetic and they're just part of the construction and assembly process most of the time, but my opinion can't really take presence over that of my customers and regarding feedback it's been a pretty mixed bag.

Some people love them, some people hate them, and before the new year starts I'd like to get a better sense of how people lean. Maybe I'll dispense with them going forwards. Perhaps not.
This will not help you!…My gut opinion is I don’t like them. I own one of your knives (leopard wood with walnut ferrule) it totally goes with it ( esthetically). My reaction when I got the knife was as others have said it shows it was handmade. Love the knife by the way. Would not change a thing.

I personally like it most of the time. Maybe you could offer people the option to keep or remove it when ordering a custom.
It's always optional. Some people do ask for it to be removed, but most do not. Though it should probably be something I put into the order form. I know people can feel like they're putting me out if they ask for something irregular, especially when they don't have the firsthand knowledge to have a sense of what they're asking entails in terms of time and work.

Back