Do You Use Your "Expensive" Knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd use this $800 knife to hack through chicken bones or crack open a lobster. Just a tool.
View attachment 133933
72A144EF-8CE8-4D98-B5A2-57F5DD7E5F22.jpeg

I'd use this $800 knife to hack through chicken bones or crack open a lobster. Just a tool.
View attachment 133933

Oh I see what you did. Superficially, this is just comical. But no, no, I see what you did. This is a deeper philosophical question. The "tool". Is it really the knife? Or do you mean the maker? Or, perhaps, you mean the purchaser...

On another note, maybe we start a Go Fund Me to get @RDalman to wear fishnets while crafting the next Group Buy. 😁

This baffles me to some extent. I don't see how you could fully appreciate a super fine knife without using it. No matter how beautiful it is you could never fully grasp its true essence without putting it thru what it's meant to do.

Our most expensive knives are the ones we use most. It's how I justify buying more.

The ones I use least are some of the cheapest - my collection of beautiful, old and restored yanagiba. They mostly just get polished and admired ;).

I once lost about 10 mm of tip of my Watanabe trying to slice a half dozen water bottles in half with one swipe. It made it to the last one and then the very tip caught on the plastic and got very mangled.

😯

Were you playing "Doug Marcaida" at home?? 🤨

I will cut across these water bottles to see what kind of edge your knife has. A sharp, durable edge should cut a clean straight line through the bottles. A dull
edge will rip the bottles apart, or worse, bat them out the way.

... 🔪 ...

Okay, Shinichi-san, lets talk about your blade here. I like the way it feels in the hand. It is fairly well balanced with a bit of forward weight to give it some power when slicing. Now your edge. You have a nice thin profile that allowed me to slice cleanly through most of the bottles. However, it took some tip damage towards the end and couldnt cut all the way through.

But still, overall...

it_will_cut.jpg

... sadly begins repairing tip...

Oh I see what you did. Superficially, this is just comical. But no, no, I see what you did. This is a deeper philosophical question. The "tool". Is it really the knife? Or do you mean the maker? Or, perhaps, you mean the purchaser...

On another note, maybe we start a Go Fund Me to get @RDalman to wear fishnets while crafting the next Group Buy. 😁
Now, that’s an idea! Very very small fishnets 😛😛😛😛😛

I use all of my knives, rotating regularly while in pro kitchens. Depending on the staff around I often lend out midrange knives (200-400$) and always rotate and use my more expensive (500-700+) right now I’ve been loving my Fujiyama FT 240 as my daily driver with 2-3 hours of cutting a day

If I was even remotely doubting whether I'd dare to use it I wouldn't buy it. To me it's a tool first. If the cost inhibits me from using it in the intended role it is basically a useless waste of money to me.
I do remember cringing in horror when I scratched up my beloved Wustof Classic—my first expensive knife. There’re pro cooks I know that feel spending over $100 on a chef’s knife is a useless waste of money—while other pro cooks I know regularly take Katos and Shigs into a pro kitchen environment. I’m much more relaxed with knives these days—don’t care what they had cost or are worth, they are all just knives in the kitchen. I’d be a rich man if ten years ago I’d invested money spent on gyutos, in Bitcoin instead. However, I do enjoy the luxury of bringing out a denka to prep. #priorities

I realize expensive is relative, but do you use your relatively expensive knives? I have my eye on a knife which is over $700, but perfectly fills a perceived void in my small, but growing, set of Japanese knives.

Has anyone bought a knife, used it, and regretted doing so because it got a scratch, chip, or other calamity, even though you knew the risks going in? Thank you.
Of course I do. Why would I have a knife I don't use. Same for pistols. Why have a custom pistol you don't use.

A wise chef friend and serious collector once told my that I should 'tip' an expensive knife as soon as I get it—just get it over with so I can relax and enjoy using the knife.
I sharpen knives for chefs & repairing tips is almost standard procedure especially new ones the amount of times I have heard people say they dropped it almost as soon as it came out the box.
The advise sounds similar to buying a new car best to key it before someone else does it.

The price doesn't change whether or not I use a knife. Its intended purpose and ease of use is what does it for me.
If its a gyuto I expect them all to do certain things in the kitchen to justify me bringing them to work: shave chives, cut through parsnips without wedging, work well enough on cooked proteins, and be able to break down a chicken including Frenching an airline breast which involves cutting through a bone in the wing.
If I have to baby a knife then I'm just buying it to hang on my wall and I'd rather put that money elsewhere.

I sharpen knives for chefs & repairing tips is almost standard procedure especially new ones the amount of times I have heard people say they dropped it almost as soon as it came out the box.
The advise sounds similar to buying a new car best to key it before someone else does it.
IMO, depends on a buyer’s objectives. I buy knives to use—they get scuffed, I have zero interest in polishing, so my knives won’t win beauty pageants. If someone buys with the intent on reselling—which is a perfectly valid reason—then they should just keep it in the box and don’t dare use it.

Of course I do. Why would I have a knife I don't use. Same for pistols. Why have a custom pistol you don't use.

I have lots of pistols and I have shot them all. My custom ones are target shooters. My eyes are too old nowadays to shoot well any more but there are still a couple of target models I would buy if I ever see them even though I can't really shoot them anymore.

Besides everybody from Texas has guns.

All comes down to priorities—a $1k gyuto cost the same as a dinner for two at many Michelin starred restaurants; sushi for two at Masa in NYC cost about a grand.

Back