Does all blade warp overtime ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I have been reading a lot of articles about knife blade warping(bending/changing shape) overtime lately.
Does all blade warp? If they do, what do collectors do to keep it in the original shape; or where do you sent it for fix?

Steel that has been cooled rapidly in the quench will have some parts cool faster than others, I'm sure many of you have seen this:

p25xg5or7isdyy527wdr.gif

And with this twisting comes a build up of internal stresses that can either pull or push against each other, or tear the blade apart.

image026.gif

Once the blade has been quenched, tempered and brought to room temperature, we'd like to think that the steel is in a stable state. And for the most part, it is. But because we don't live at absolute zero, there is still a bit of heat around at room temperature that can continue to make small changes to the internal structure of the steel. Enough to sometimes make a knife change shape over time, if only by a little bit.

This phenomenon is well known to Japanese bladesmiths, who sometimes hold huge stocks of forged blanks for a few months before moving to the next stage of grinding them to shape, because they are waiting for the steel to 'settle' into it's final shape.

You could do that, or you could just temper the blade again. By increasing the temperature we accelerate any internal changes that want to naturally happen over an extended period of time.

I'll just add that I own a couple of knives that are over 100 years old and they've not warped.

I've always thought the rule was single bevel knives are much more prone to warping over prolonged periods of time, I have a 80+ year old Sabatier post WW1 and it's pretty much straight. Sadly I don't have a 80+ year old yanagi but am open to donations.

I've always thought the rule was single bevel knives are much more prone to warping over prolonged periods of time, I have a 80+ year old Sabatier post WW1 and it's pretty much straight. Sadly I don't have a 80+ year old yanagi but am open to donations.

I just purchased my first single bevel knife yesterday, hopefully it won’t warp...

Well, warpage results from tension in the steel, than in turn is induced by heat treating and grinding. It's much common occurrence than many people realize. San mai blades can be straightened, provided that they are not 8mm thick at the spine debas.

I had monosteel blades to warp (bend) slightly when ground (and even hand sanded) on one side and then get back straight when the other side was worked on. Inam still not sure whether it was the internal stress as I would not expect much of it in a stainless (Niolox with cryo) blade. But I noticed it with 2 knives I have made.

San mai blades can be straightened, provided that they are not 8mm thick at the spine debas.

Backing that up -- I bought a knife last year that arrived with some damage to the package, with the first inch of the blade very slightly bent sideways at the tip. It was Aogami Super with a soft iron damascus (pattern-weld) san mai cladding. I was able to carefully bend the tip back into alignment with just mild repeated pressure under a block of wood.

It seems that the san mai cladding helps hold the shape? I imagine it would be more difficult for a home user to straighten a bend with the harder stainless steels like PM steel. With any luck I won't ever have to try that.

the JDM shops do restoration work all the time,
my guess is JKI or similar is also equipped either in house
or with contacts to do it.

also, check you-tube...

Latest posts

Back