Dropped blade.. Help..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgillis86

Reaction score
Alright so today at work, my ******* boss decides it's a good idea to knock my... God it hurts to say.... Gesshin ginga gyuto off the prep table.............

I can't get a good pic of it, but it's pretty beat up at the heel and about 1-2 inches up the blade. I've never had to fix damage this bad.. Can anybody direct me to a pro that could fix it for me? Or maybe some tips on how to repair it so I could do it myself? I'm a bit scared I'd reprofile her.. Or screw her up..

Alright so today at work, my ******* boss decides it's a good idea to knock my... God it hurts to say.... Gesshin ginga gyuto off the prep table.............

I can't get a good pic of it, but it's pretty beat up at the heel and about 1-2 inches up the blade. I've never had to fix damage this bad.. Can anybody direct me to a pro that could fix it for me? Or maybe some tips on how to repair it so I could do it myself? I'm a bit scared I'd reprofile her.. Or screw her up..

Since it's a Gesshin, I recommend sending it to Jon at JKI to fix it.

Jon at japanese knife imports is awesome. or Martel.

Post some pic's lets see the damage. On of my chefs accidentally hit a pit while cutting dried cherries and a HUGE chunk went missing from his Itinomonn. Like 5mm long by 2.5 mm deep, in the middle of the blade too. He came back the next day, still pissed off, with the chip sharpened out. It isn't impossible in some cases.

I can't get a good picture. Sucky camera. Any idea what Jon charges? He was my first thought in the matter.. After about 3 cigarettes..

Thank god for white steel. 45 minutes and a slight reprofile and she sings again. Sorry I was freaking out guys. Some of those chips were 2+ mm.

On the other side, I'm never bringing her to work again, her or my other high end jknives. I bought a Fujiwara fkm 240 to beat the **** out of up there. I've read a few reviews and they seem decent enough. Anybody have experience with them?

if you don't mind me asking what stone did you use for repair?

I only use naturals

but am looking for a good low grit stone, for repairs, setting bevels, and possible lapping

Beston 500 soaker. It was the lowest grit stone I had, so i just went to town lol. Might have been easy because gingas are thin, and white steel sharpens so easily, but it worked. I have a 120 grit diamond stone for lapping.

Back