Ealy Parer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for speaking up, Del. I was going to post and ask if anyone who thought their parer was too thick had discussed it with you. I know you are very responsive to your customers.

Del being aware of his customers like always! That said, I do like my new sthle Ealy as is, I personally wouldn't change a thing in the design.

Del,
I really like my parer. I can see that some might think it thicker than their preference, but for my purposes it is great.I do use a thinner parer (Shun Classic) for some jobs.

Del,

I'm not a big fan of bolsters on any knife, and have stopped me from purchasing one of your parers. It's great you are open minded enough to accept constructive criticism, I look forward to seeing some of your "enhanced" parers!

An update:

I received one of Del's new parers, the one without the diagonal bolster, and would like to post some brief comments.

Aesthetically, it's lacks the distinctive "signature" diagonal which gave Del's knives their visual character. However, this also meant that the bolster which I found problematic in a short knife like a parer, is not a problem any longer. The "E" stamping has been replaced by an etched "EALY" in a distinctive gothic looking font.

Compared with the previous parer, which is 3.2mm thick above the heel, the new one is half the thickness at 1.6mm. (I do have a dial thickness gauge).

In hand it's great as a parer. Comfortable, nimble and easily manoeuvrable. It came very sharp but was even better after just a few minutes on the Rika.

So, all in all, it's a great improvement. Well done Dell!

An update:

I received one of Del's new parers, the one without the diagonal bolster, and would like to post some brief comments.

Aesthetically, it's lacks the distinctive "signature" diagonal which gave Del's knives their visual character. However, this also meant that the bolster which I found problematic in a short knife like a parer, is not a problem any longer. The "E" stamping has been replaced by an etched "EALY" in a distinctive gothic looking font.

Compared with the previous parer, which is 3.2mm thick above the heel, the new one is half the thickness at 1.6mm. (I do have a dial thickness gauge).

In hand it's great as a parer. Comfortable, nimble and easily manoeuvrable. It came very sharp but was even better after just a few minutes on the Rika.

So, all in all, it's a great improvement. Well done Dell!
Thanks for the update. Today I got started thinning my earlier model down, but it's not super fast with only a JNS 300. I think the spine thickness is kinda beefy, but I think I can still make it work if I get the edge a bit thinner and the bevel smaller. The shape seems good and the steel seems good, so if I can reduce the wedge a bit and lower the attack angle on peeling (carrots, potatoes), then it'll be a very competent knife.

Back